Turn on thread page Beta

I work with a load of rich kids that don't appreciate what they've got! watch

Hi...

Just having a bit if a whinge here; it seems I work with a load of rich/priveledged colleagues. Most of which are young (16-20s), and they just don't seem to realise 'they got it good'! Their parents are rich or very wealthy, and it shows in them as a very blasé attitude to the line of work that I do.

I'm not just talking about the typical uni student in a rubbish summer job (type of attitude), I'm taking about a general laid back carefree 'I-couldn't-care-less-this-is-only-my-part time job' sort of view.

One particular colleague of mine said just the above after receiving some information from the boss, and stated in frustration that she didn't particularly care for any of it. I honestly was rather offended, because I've had to work for every penny, whilst she probably knows full well she doesn't have to work if she didn't want too. Due to the 'Bank of Mummy & Daddy'. I found it debasing, listening to her whine on, as someone whom is less fortunate to have what she has.

Another two of my colleagues go on holiday 3/4 times a year to France skiing and for leisurely trips, whilst driving BMWs and brand new cars. It really annoys me because they still mock me, particularly for the things I've achieved, while simultaneously dismissing them. Like I worked hard for my degree, they dismiss it and tell me it isn't valuable in this market or tell me some story about their rich multi millionaire uncle.

These sorts of people I'm surrounded by because I live in a leafy affluent middle class area of the Yorkshire country side. While they are generally pleasant on the whole, they have a very entitled attitude and are actually very lazy in their jobs and have a bad work ethic.

It annoys me doubly when they try to pretend they've worked hard as me, or even that they worked, saved and 'paid' for that holiday to The Algarve, when you know full well mummy paid for it, as well as their car insurance and luxuries.

Anybody else come across this?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest - I'm not rich but I am middle class and I have experienced some things that rich children would have e.g fly First class and drive around in a Porsche so I suppose I kind of know what it's like. Anyway, it irritates the hell out of me when people say this whole 'bank of mummy and daddy' thing - get over it, you're jealous. They can't choose where they were born or what family they were born into, that's their life and they probably will live a rich life - so what? Just care about you're own life.

I will say that there are some new rich families who seem to think that they are the bees knees and deserve to be treated like royalty ( I see a lot of that here in the South of England), anyway, I just ignore them and waltz on in. They aren't entitled to anything that I can't get, they are not better than anyone. I wouldn't even acknowledge these people because the majority of them are insecure or looking for attention. The chances are, they aren't even that rich anyway.

Oh and expensive things aren't that fantastic you get really bored of them fast. My parents used to own a Porsche and it wasn't any different to any other car - everyone used to look at us and the boys would obsess about our car when we were dropped off in school, I actually found it embarrassing. 3/4 holidays is not fantastic either, you can save up and do that yourself.

(Original post by Frostyjoe)
    To be honest - I'm not rich but I am middle class and I have experienced some things that rich children would have e.g fly First class and drive around in a Porsche so I suppose I kind of know what it's like. Anyway, it irritates the hell out of me when people say this whole 'bank of mummy and daddy' thing - get over it, you're jealous. They can't choose where they were born or what family they were born into, that's their life and they probably will live a rich life - so what? Just care about you're own life.

I will say that there are some new rich families who seem to think that they are the bees knees and deserve to be treated like royalty ( I see a lot of that here in the South of England), anyway, I just ignore them and waltz on in. They aren't entitled to anything that I can't get, they are not better than anyone. I wouldn't even acknowledge these people because the majority of them are insecure or looking for attention. The chances are, they aren't even that rich anyway.

Oh and expensive things aren't that fantastic you get really bored of them fast. My parents used to own a Porsche and it wasn't any different to any other car - everyone used to look at us and the boys would obsess about our car when we were dropped off in school, I actually found it embarrassing. 3/4 holidays is not fantastic either, you can save up and do that yourself.
    Hi,

By rich I mean someone who has more money than me (subjectively), they may not be conventionally rich, but they are wealthier than me and are Middle Class yes. Most Middle Class folk are richer than me because, well, I am working class, or consider myself this.

I didn't mean it to sound judgemental or horrible, I guess I was generalising and going by that stereotype. However, objectively speaking a lot of being able to afford most luxuries does come from their parents, so it is true. Of course, they can't help it-- being born into a middle class family-- just as much as I can't help been working class. Although, it sucks because I don't have the same opportunities open to me, or doors that someone of your class has.

They are wealthy enough to afford numerous holidays a year, buy skiing equipment for each family member and do so several times a year. Of course, I will envy this naturally, me and my family last went abroad/on holiday in 2004.

I am not trying to be horrible toward the middle class, just my observations, though I do have pleasant things to say. I've met some very wealthy people, some of which are the loveliest people I've ever met. They were particularly modest.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Anonymous;60488911]Hi...

Just having a bit if a whinge here; it seems I work with a load of rich/priveledged colleagues. Most of which are young (16-20s), and they just don't seem to realise 'they got it good'! Their parents are rich or very wealthy, and it shows in them as a very blasé attitude to the line of work that I do.

I'm not just talking about the typical uni student in a rubbish summer job (type of attitude), I'm taking about a general laid back carefree 'I-couldn't-care-less-this-is-only-my-part time job' sort of view.

One particular colleague of mine said just the above after receiving some information from the boss, and stated in frustration that she didn't particularly care for any of it. I honestly was rather offended, because I've had to work for every penny, whilst she probably knows full well she doesn't have to work if she didn't want too. Due to the 'Bank of Mummy & Daddy'. I found it debasing, listening to her whine on, as someone whom is less fortunate to have what she has.

Another two of my colleagues go on holiday 3/4 times a year to France skiing and for leisurely trips, whilst driving BMWs and brand new cars. It really annoys me because they still mock me, particularly for the things I've achieved, while simultaneously dismissing them. Like I worked hard for my degree, they dismiss it and tell me it isn't valuable in this market or tell me some story about their rich multi millionaire uncle.

These sorts of people I'm surrounded by because I live in a leafy affluent middle class area of the Yorkshire country side. While they are generally pleasant on the whole, they have a very entitled attitude and are actually very lazy in their jobs and have a bad work ethic.

It annoys me doubly when they try to pretend they've worked hard as me, or even that they worked, saved and 'paid' for that holiday to The Algarve, when you know full well mummy paid for it, as well as their car insurance and luxuries.

Anybody else come across this?[/QUOTE
    Marry one of them divorce them and get rich

ReputationRep:
    I feel some green eyed monster stuff going on here.

Here's the deal..I work hard (just like yourself) I like nice things and assume you do too.

I have colleagues that are 1 or a few years younger than me who drive around in 2012+ BMW's; Audi's; Mercedes etc.
    At the end of the day, all I can do is be genuinely happy for them, then again the ones I work with don't brag or put anyone down. It's more they have money, we all know it but they are humble with it.

If someone was bragging and didn't work for their money, if it was me I'd just ignore them. The more you care and pay attention is the more you are going to get annoyed..then you'll be enraged...then you'll resent them..etc etc.

Try to ignore their foolishness and just enjoy your life. If you want to go on holiday, save up for one, enjoy yourself. You can't blame them if they've been on holiday and you haven't gone since 2004.

I have mates who are going on holiday several times a year..do they work as much as me? nope, do they work nearly as hard as me? nope. Am I jealous? no. They are my mates/work colleagues and I want them to be happy, I don't wish bad on people. Everyone's circumstance is different. I earn 4x as much as some of these people, but my circumstances are different..I have responsibilities whereas they are home rent free saving every penny. Can I get angry at them and resent them? Not really.

When it comes to your lot messing about at work...let them. You work hard, focus on your own self development. If these lot want to mess about and don't care then so be it. You focus on you and doing the best you can, that's all that matters!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't mind young kids flying in Business Class or getting luxury bags but I have to hold up my hands and say that I do not like seeing them driving around in expensive cars. To me that is a whole different kettle of fish, it does not help the other kids feel good or learn the true value of money.

I don't think kids should be driving around in BMW's and that's that. I know people my age who do tand it does make me angry. It's a total lack of respect and tolerance. A 18 year old does not NEED a BMW or even a (brand new) £15,000 MINI - the money could be spent on something better like savings for a house deposit.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.