Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Just scraped a first at undergrad - will this count against me? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying a masters course. Next year I want to apply to do a PhD. I'm working to get a distinction this year (fingers crossed!) and I do have work experience in my general area both paid and voluntary. Regardless, I know how competitive PhDs (and funding) are and I'm worried that my undergrad mark might disadvantage me.

I know a first is good and I'm super thrilled with it but I only got a straight 70. I know I'll be up against other people who will have achieved higher firsts than me. Do you think it'll make a big difference? Or will exact mark not really matter too much?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    A First is a First. It doesn't matter how close you were - you did get a First.

So much more is important at PhD level than just grades so don't get fixated on this aspect.

Yes, it helps that you have obvious proof of your intellectual ability but references and your research proposal are the bits of the application that will be the deal breaker in terms of whether or not you get an interview or not. And btw, those with a 2i would not be that disadvantaged - again, its the rest of the application that is the crucial bit.

ReputationRep:
    Daughter got a 2:1, then did a masters and has secured a dream fully funded PhD. Much more than grades are needed - its all about life skills and people interaction and communication as well as your c.v. Talk to other PhD's in your chosen field for a better handle on things, but don't get hung up on your grades - a first is a first! Good 'luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would I brag about scraping a first? If anything I'm pretty embarrassed about not doing any work in my second year because that was what dragged my mark down to a 70. Given the level of competition I'm going to be up against I think it's a fair question. Don't worry, one day you might feel secure enough not to bash somebody for daring say they got a first

ReputationRep:
    Omg.

With respect, I'm not gonna read the OP.

Dude you got a first. The world is your lobster. Now get out there and apply for whatever takes your fancy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wibble93)
    Why would I brag about scraping a first?
    (Original post by Simes)
    ftfy
    I always enjoy reading the posts by people who post their grades for the thousands over the internet to see. Mostly because I love to see what their reasoning behind their need to share such a personal thing with the world... and I don't ever think I've ever seen a person justified in it.

Honestly? I doubt the admissions teams of universities trawl through TSR, because they're too busy dealing with direct questions like this from genuinely concerned students who have bothered to contact them directly. On here you are talking to a bunch of intelligent [in some cases] people who have no experience working in a university. They cannot answer your question which any sure answer. So why ask? It makes it particularly difficult to answer when you don't give us any indication of what you're studying. Taught or Research Master's? Science or Art? Oxbridge or Bucks New University? Those things might affect your chances, you know.

Just get through your Master's and worry about the results of that, because once you have a Master's, no one will care about your Bachelor's. Just like no one gives a damn about whether or not you received 11 A*s at GCSE anymore. Also... for the record - you got a First. Get over yourself, you know you have better options than some 4/5 of other graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snikle)
    I always enjoy reading the posts by people who post their grades for the thousands over the internet to see. Mostly because I love to see what their reasoning behind their need to share such a personal thing with the world... and I don't ever think I've ever seen a person justified in it.
    Are you talking about grades or tit?

If somebody writing the word 'first' gets under your skin I think you've got some reeeeeeal serious insecurity issues going on

Thanks for the laugh but seriously... it's okay, somebody will still love you with a third.

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many people overdramatise these things and feel the need to seek validation from others? Check out the number of 'I got A*A*A do I stand a chance at a RG uni?' threads on here. A bit of common sense should have told you that a first will obviously not 'count against you'. So I'll say well done, now get on with your masters and good luck with your PhD applications. Does that make you feel better?

ReputationRep:
    Only on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Does that make you feel better?
    No, because you didn't remotely answer my question. In fact it seems as though you barely read it.Of course a first won't count against me, I'm asking if a low one will disadvantage me against others with 80+.

(Original post by Snikle)
    Honestly? I doubt the admissions teams of universities trawl through TSR, because they're too busy dealing with direct questions like this from genuinely concerned students who have bothered to contact them directly. On here you are talking to a bunch of intelligent [in some cases] people who have no experience working in a university. They cannot answer your question which any sure answer. So why ask? It makes it particularly difficult to answer when you don't give us any indication of what you're studying.
    All I'm asking is if it's usually expected to get solid firsts for a PhD at a top uni and full funding. It's not a complicated question. It's literally just a general question and I'm looking for opinions/experience. (Psst, previous replies managed this fine )

This thread is keeping me in stitches... TSR is so hilarious :P

ReputationRep:
    I remember when the humblebrag used to be subtle. Please, if you have to brag just be up front about it.

ReputationRep:
    No, because you didn't remotely answer my question. In fact it seems as though you barely read it.Of course a first won't count against me, I'm asking if a low one will disadvantage me against others with 80+.
    I know full well what your question was. You were told several times what the answer was. I made the point that you could have worked it out yourself. Intelligence does not equate to common sense, it seems. Now you're just coming across as arrogant so I won't waste any more of my time on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    Omg.

With respect, I'm not gonna read the OP.

Dude you got a first. The world is your lobster. Now get out there and apply for whatever takes your fancy
    The world is your crab*, not lobster lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    The world is your crab*, not lobster lol
    I think they realised that.

It's called 'word-play', ie. a form of light-hearted humour. Its also a form of anti-intellectualism in that it takes the wee-wee out of the charmless.

ReputationRep:
    If somebody writing the word 'first' gets under your skin I think you've got some reeeeeeal serious insecurity issues going on

Thanks for the laugh but seriously... it's okay, somebody will still love you with a third.
    As a general rule, I don't like blowing my own trumpet to random strangers on the internet because... well, you're just that. A stranger - your opinions mean nothing to me. But for the sake of replying to you, let's examine, shall we? I studied at a top ten university and am now studying for a Master's, ********, does it look like I have insecurities about my academics? If your best response to my post is attacking me, then clearly all of that money being poured into your education has gone to waste.

I am going to diverge a little by calling you out on your foul remark about 'being loved'. Are you implying that having a third (or having no degree/advanced education) makes someone unlovable? That's disgusting. If your OP wasn't irritating enough, your responses to people in this thread reminds me distinctly of ad hominum arguments made by pre-teens. I seriously suggest reviewing your attitude, if you plan on succeeding in the academic world. You are not better than people who didn't do as well academically. And you certainly aren't making yourself come across as an innocent party when you belittle everyone on this thread, even if you do feel like they are chipping away at your ego.

If others managed to answer you just fine then I won't bother. But you'll notice that I asked you some questions in order to give you a more tailored answer, which you have chosen to ignore in favour of insulting me. Surely, with your intelligence, you would chose to help yourself by helping me? Alas, I made the fatal error of presuming wisdom and intelligence were synonymous.

ReputationRep:
    No-one cares if you've gotten 100 or 70 as long as it's a first, especially when you will have a higher qualification.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite enough bad-mannered bickering from everyone. This thread is now closed.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.