Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is 230 miles from £20 fuel good or bad ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello

My car - 2006 mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI

I got 230 miles from £20 diesel using around 20 litres of fuel, around 170 miles on motorway driving at mostly 70 mph ( would have got better mpg if drove around 60mph) and about 50 urban miles.

is this good or bad ?

ReputationRep:
    I do about 200 miles for about £20 petrol so yeahh that seems good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNathanDYEL)
    I do about 200 miles for about £20 petrol so yeahh that seems good

200 miles for a petrol car, what car do you drive, I'm guessing it's basically new or almost new and a tiny engine or something ??

Do you achieve around 200 miles urban or motorway or mixed , how heavy is your right foot ??

I had a 1.6 petrol that I owned for around 3 years, £20 petrol would get me about 50- - 60 miles in that, maybe 80 miles on motorways

in my current car, 1.8 tdci diesel 2006 mk2 focus, £20 would probably get me 180 urban miles if I drive with a light right foot
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    20 litres is roughly 4.5 gallons, so you're talking around 50mpg. That's pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    20 litres is roughly 4.5 gallons, so you're talking around 50mpg. That's pretty good.
    thank you

Can I ask you another question relating to motoring, it's not really about repairs but I have no answers on the thread I created regarding it and I am very curious as to what people think the cause could be regarding my car ?

ReputationRep:
    That's really good , wtf O_0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    That's really good , wtf O_0
    what's wrong

ReputationRep:
    I work off the basis of 10p/mile tbh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Bloody good actually mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    what's wrong
    I envy tht fuel economy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Bloody good actually mate.
    Can I please ask you a different question about motoring, it's not exactly about repairs but I would really appreciate your help ?

(Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    I envy tht fuel economy

I had a petrol car for 3 years and the fuel economy was bad, £20 would get me about 80 miles
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Can I please ask you a different question about motoring, it's not exactly about repairs but I would really appreciate your help ?
    Just as well as I know sweet FA about mechanics :lol: Go ahead though mate I'll see if I can answer.

ReputationRep:
    Just as well as I know sweet FA about mechanics :lol: Go ahead though mate I'll see if I can answer.
    Thank you, the question isn't really related to car repair.

In the paperwork it reads that the fuel tank capacity for my car is 52.3 litres.

however when my fuel is very near the half way point it only takes 18 litres to fill it to the brim and surely the bottom half of fuel isn't 34 litres and it also burns faster than fuel past the half way line, ?

shouldn't it be 26 litres to fill from half way ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thank you, the question isn't really related to car repair.

In the paperwork it reads that the fuel tank capacity for my car is 52.3 litres.

however when my fuel is very near the half way point it only takes 18 litres to fill it to the brim and surely the bottom half of fuel isn't 34 litres and it also burns faster than fuel past the half way line, ?

shouldn't it be 26 litres to fill from half way ?
    I'd never rely on the fuel gauge tbh mate, it's more of an estimate than anything Not saying fill it over the Full line of course, that'd be silly... but when it says you're half full for example, you're probably not literally half full.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never rely on the fuel gauge tbh mate, it's more of an estimate than anything Not saying fill it over the Full line of course, that'd be silly... but when it says you're half full for example, you're probably not literally half full.

Right, so when I get to the low fuel light and I've only used 40 ltrs, I still have another 13 ltrs in my tank, so I can drive over 120 miles with my low fuel light on ??

ReputationRep:
    I get about 250-300 miles on £20 on my vauxual corsa, but it is 1.3L and a diesel.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Right, so when I get to the low fuel light and I've only used 40 ltrs, I still have another 13 ltrs in my tank, so I can drive over 120 miles with my low fuel light on ??
    I wouldn't want to test that theory out in the middle of nowhere and I'd advise you to carry some petrol in a Jerry can in your boot before you do so :lol: but possibly

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to test that theory out in the middle of nowhere and I'd advise you to carry some petrol in a Jerry can in your boot before you do so :lol: but possibly
    No, I'm sorry but I just don't believe that. But if what your saying is true that the gauge is wrong, then it has to be able to go 130 miles with fuel light on, otherwise my car is not a 52.3 litre tank capacity.

And does that mean that when I filled my tank from half way to full, does that mean that it wasn't actually 230 miles from 18 litres ?

and my car is diesel not petrol, it is bad to let your car run out of fuel, can cause damage
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, I'm sorry but I just don't believe that. But if what your saying is true that the gauge is wrong, then it has to be able to go 130 miles with fuel light on, otherwise my car is not a 52.3 litre tank capacity.

And does that mean that when I filled my tank from half way to full, does that mean that it wasn't actually 230 miles from 18 litres ?

and my car is diesel not petrol, it is bad to let your car run out of fuel, can cause damage
    Why do you think I said I wouldn't advise trying it mate :rofl: The fuel gauge is indeed just an estimate (the fact that fuel gauges tend to go up and down despite not having topped up is a giveaway) and there's probably plenty of juice in the tank when it says it's empty... but why even risk it and let the fuel run low, is the question. I don't even let my petrol get anywhere near being low tbh, what's not to say you're gonna need to travel somewhere in a hurry at some point and there's not a petrol station anywhere near the route you're taking, you've left yourself up slack alley a bit then.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think I said I wouldn't advise trying it mate :rofl: The fuel gauge is indeed just an estimate (the fact that fuel gauges tend to go up and down despite not having topped up is a giveaway) and there's probably plenty of juice in the tank when it says it's empty... but why even risk it and let the fuel run low, is the question. I don't even let my petrol get anywhere near being low tbh, what's not to say you're gonna need to travel somewhere in a hurry at some point and there's not a petrol station anywhere near the route you're taking, you've left yourself up slack alley a bit then.
    I'm having a really hard time understanding here, and having Dyspraxia doesn't help so please be clear.

I never said I let my fuel run low, I said when my fuel light comes on I have only used 40 litres instead of 52.3, so I'm saying if it is true that I still have 13 more liters and my gauge is wrong then I should test how many miles I can drive with fuel light on, if my tank really is 52.3 litres then I should get 130 miles driving with light on, OTHERWISE MY TANK IS NOT 52.3 LITRES !!!
    SO i'LL RISK IT TO CONFIRM THE FUEL CAPACITY OF MY TANK, IF IT DOESN'T GET ME 100 MILES + THEN IT CAN'T BE 52.3 LITRES !!

I never let my fuel run low either but I may run it into the red and test once and for all what my fuel capacity really is.
    I used to put £80 a week in petrol on my petrol car so I CAN MORE THAN AFFORD fuel thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.