Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Work experience watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am an international student and I am currently applying for Law. I am writing my personal statement, and I wonder whether work experience is really necessary for this? As Law is a vocational course, many universities mention that it is important to have a good understanding of the profession and that work experience, volunteering work, .. is important for that.
    I am one year ahead in high school, so I am still very young, so that is why I don't have any work experience, because I have only very recently reached the minimum age to work.

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by larademets)
    Hi,

I am an international student and I am currently applying for Law. I am writing my personal statement, and I wonder whether work experience is really necessary for this? As Law is a vocational course, many universities mention that it is important to have a good understanding of the profession and that work experience, volunteering work, .. is important for that.
    I am one year ahead in high school, so I am still very young, so that is why I don't have any work experience, because I have only very recently reached the minimum age to work.

Thanks!
    Law at undergraduate is not a vocational degree. It is an academic subject. You don't need work experience.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that work experience is necessary for this course, but it always helps to make you stand out from the rest. Law is quite competitive so it can't do any harm. However, if you haven't got any I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your academic profile is good and your personal statement is strong.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I would say it depends upon what university you are planning to apply to. If it is a Russel Group uni, where competition for Law is really high, it is quite important to have some form of work experience as it shows your dedication to the subject. If you are struggling to find any work experience what about taking part in a short online course in an area of law? It will show your dedication to the subject and give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lucybalmforth)
    I would say it depends upon what university you are planning to apply to. If it is a Russel Group uni, where competition for Law is really high, it is quite important to have some form of work experience as it shows your dedication to the subject. If you are struggling to find any work experience what about taking part in a short online course in an area of law? It will show your dedication to the subject and give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement!
    Not really

Law is not a vocational degree at undergraduate - especially in Russell Group universities where the focus tends to be even more academic. Bare in mind that admissions staff and law academics have chosen NOT to become practising solicitors/barristers - they've chosen instead to STUDY law and legal issues.

Over-emphasis on work experience and a PS full of aspirations to become a Barrister or Solicitor demonstrate a misunderstanding of what is being committed to for the duration of an LLB.

Visits to courts are generally far more useful than stuffing envelopes in a solicitors for a fortnight - and the key thing is that the PS should be a demonstration of the applicant's ability to write persuasively and well to set out their case.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...e-law-students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Not really

Law is not a vocational degree at undergraduate - especially in Russell Group universities where the focus tends to be even more academic. Bare in mind that admissions staff and law academics have chosen NOT to become practising solicitors/barristers - they've chosen instead to STUDY law and legal issues.

Over-emphasis on work experience and a PS full of aspirations to become a Barrister or Solicitor demonstrate a misunderstanding of what is being committed to for the duration of an LLB.

Visits to courts are generally far more useful than stuffing envelopes in a solicitors for a fortnight - and the key thing is that the PS should be a demonstration of the applicant's ability to write persuasively and well to set out their case.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...e-law-students
    At all the Russel group open days I visited in summer they put an emphasis on showing your dedication to the subject in your PS. Everyone that applies to Russel Groups have a good academic track record, so it is important to have something that makes you stand out from everyone else applying
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lucybalmforth)
    At all the Russel group open days I visited in summer they put an emphasis on showing your dedication to the subject in your PS. Everyone that applies to Russel Groups have a good academic track record, so it is important to have something that makes you stand out from everyone else applying
    Exactly - they asked for evidence of dedication to your SUBJECT - not to the career that you *could* have if you complete postgraduate qualifications and manage to get a training position after you have finally completed your law degree.

Law at undergraduate is an academic subject. Your 3+ year degree will give you 1 less year of training to become a solicitor or a barrister compared to someone taking a non-law degree.... Your PS is being read by people who have actively opted in to ACADEMIC study of law as a subject and not a career as a lawyer. If you apply with a PS focused on work experience and a specific career then you're stating outright that you don't understand what you've applied for.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.