larademets
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am an international student and I am currently applying for Law. I am writing my personal statement, and I wonder whether work experience is really necessary for this? As Law is a vocational course, many universities mention that it is important to have a good understanding of the profession and that work experience, volunteering work, .. is important for that.
I am one year ahead in high school, so I am still very young, so that is why I don't have any work experience, because I have only very recently reached the minimum age to work.

Thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by larademets)
Hi,

I am an international student and I am currently applying for Law. I am writing my personal statement, and I wonder whether work experience is really necessary for this? As Law is a vocational course, many universities mention that it is important to have a good understanding of the profession and that work experience, volunteering work, .. is important for that.
I am one year ahead in high school, so I am still very young, so that is why I don't have any work experience, because I have only very recently reached the minimum age to work.

Thanks!
Law at undergraduate is not a vocational degree. It is an academic subject. You don't need work experience.
EmJ15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't say that work experience is necessary for this course, but it always helps to make you stand out from the rest. Law is quite competitive so it can't do any harm. However, if you haven't got any I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your academic profile is good and your personal statement is strong.
Hope this helps!
lucybalmforth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would say it depends upon what university you are planning to apply to. If it is a Russel Group uni, where competition for Law is really high, it is quite important to have some form of work experience as it shows your dedication to the subject. If you are struggling to find any work experience what about taking part in a short online course in an area of law? It will show your dedication to the subject and give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucybalmforth)
I would say it depends upon what university you are planning to apply to. If it is a Russel Group uni, where competition for Law is really high, it is quite important to have some form of work experience as it shows your dedication to the subject. If you are struggling to find any work experience what about taking part in a short online course in an area of law? It will show your dedication to the subject and give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement!
Not really

Law is not a vocational degree at undergraduate - especially in Russell Group universities where the focus tends to be even more academic. Bare in mind that admissions staff and law academics have chosen NOT to become practising solicitors/barristers - they've chosen instead to STUDY law and legal issues.

Over-emphasis on work experience and a PS full of aspirations to become a Barrister or Solicitor demonstrate a misunderstanding of what is being committed to for the duration of an LLB.

Visits to courts are generally far more useful than stuffing envelopes in a solicitors for a fortnight - and the key thing is that the PS should be a demonstration of the applicant's ability to write persuasively and well to set out their case.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...e-law-students
lucybalmforth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Not really

Law is not a vocational degree at undergraduate - especially in Russell Group universities where the focus tends to be even more academic. Bare in mind that admissions staff and law academics have chosen NOT to become practising solicitors/barristers - they've chosen instead to STUDY law and legal issues.

Over-emphasis on work experience and a PS full of aspirations to become a Barrister or Solicitor demonstrate a misunderstanding of what is being committed to for the duration of an LLB.

Visits to courts are generally far more useful than stuffing envelopes in a solicitors for a fortnight - and the key thing is that the PS should be a demonstration of the applicant's ability to write persuasively and well to set out their case.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...e-law-students
At all the Russel group open days I visited in summer they put an emphasis on showing your dedication to the subject in your PS. Everyone that applies to Russel Groups have a good academic track record, so it is important to have something that makes you stand out from everyone else applying
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucybalmforth)
At all the Russel group open days I visited in summer they put an emphasis on showing your dedication to the subject in your PS. Everyone that applies to Russel Groups have a good academic track record, so it is important to have something that makes you stand out from everyone else applying
Exactly - they asked for evidence of dedication to your SUBJECT - not to the career that you *could* have if you complete postgraduate qualifications and manage to get a training position after you have finally completed your law degree.

Law at undergraduate is an academic subject. Your 3+ year degree will give you 1 less year of training to become a solicitor or a barrister compared to someone taking a non-law degree.... Your PS is being read by people who have actively opted in to ACADEMIC study of law as a subject and not a career as a lawyer. If you apply with a PS focused on work experience and a specific career then you're stating outright that you don't understand what you've applied for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?