Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After the recent council elections, Michael Howard claims the Tories are on a roll, with the next stop being number 10. However, do you think we can trust them again? Their gross economic-mismanagement led to the mother of all recessions in the early 1990s, leaving millions unemployed. Their bold budget plans include freezing spending on everything but health and education, but will our public services be returned once more to an era of under-investment and neglect.
    Their foreign policy is likely to be markedly more hawkish than that of the present Government's, which could prove to be incadescant in the current global climate. Environmental issues are also further down the Tories list than any other major party.

The question is, can we trust them again?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I have never liked the tories and I can't see myself ever voteing for them unless faced by a more right wing party. However I think the british public will probably re-elect them for a couples of terms and then elect a labour goverment to fix the damage done to the public services and education systems. I disliked them even more when I found out that it was because of thatcher that I didn't get milk at playtime in reception.

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Although it's probably because of Thatcher that we live in such relative comfort today. Her supply-side reforms have taken over a decade to produce meaningful results, but you have to credit her for good foresight in the economic sphere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    After the recent council elections, Michael Howard claims the Tories are on a roll, with the next stop being number 10. However, do you think we can trust them again? Their gross economic-mismanagement led to the mother of all recessions in the early 1990s, leaving millions unemployed. Their bold budget plans include freezing spending on everything but health and education, but will our public services be returned once more to an era of under-investment and neglect.
    Their foreign policy is likely to be markedly more hawkish than that of the present Government's, which could prove to be incadescant in the current global climate. Environmental issues are also further down the Tories list than any other major party.

The question is, can we trust them again?
    Can you trust Tony Bliar? Can you trust Labour? Can you trust any government? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I trust Tony Blair. I trust him with our economy, public services, etc. IMO the country is safest in his hands, though this is bound to get me some abuse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    Can you trust Tony Bliar? Can you trust Labour? Can you trust any government? :rolleyes:
    I think Labour would win alot more votes if Brown was in and Blair was out. I'd seriously give some thought to voting for them if this happened. At the moment I'm against labour, not for it's policies but for Blair

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Although it's probably because of Thatcher that we live in such relative comfort today. Her supply-side reforms have taken over a decade to produce meaningful results, but you have to credit her for good foresight in the economic sphere.
    All I know is that since labour have come to power I have seen an increase in the Quality of my healthcare and education. I have read about thatchers reforms and tbh I don't like them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see whats so bad about the tories, people forget that Thacter kicked started a new boom inm business which created lots of new jobs, Britian had never been richer. I don't agree with all the tories policies but I find them much more honest than the current labour government has been.

ReputationRep:
    So you gonna put your money where your mouth is and vote?

Can you really trust Michael Howard though? He's a spectre from the old Major years. He was on board when they screwed up the economy, and personally pushed for the poll tax.

ReputationRep:

Can you really trust Michael Howard though? He's a spectre from the old Major years. He was on board when they screwed up the economy, and personally pushed for the poll tax.
    We all make mistakes..

ReputationRep:

I don't trust any politian so its hobsons choice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    But should we all get another chance to do it again?

ReputationRep:
    Can they be trusted? Not even to stand still against the wall while they're shot.

Ahem.

ReputationRep:
    well firstly foreign policy is strong-armed by Tony Blair not the government. secondly, what makes you think theyll be more hawkish? theyll only seek to strengthen the transatlantic relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    All I know is that since labour have come to power I have seen an increase in the Quality of my healthcare and education. I have read about thatchers reforms and tbh I don't like them.
    even though she dragged Britain back into contemporary living? Britain was a floundering economic power, we had the 4 largest economy in Europe and output was stagnating. thatcher put Britain back on the map. she also saved us from the gastly unions and the winter of discontent. im assuming youre not old enough to have experienced strikes every other day?

ReputationRep:
    Disregarding all those petty things like economic reform, I'd love to hear an official Tory party line on homosexuality. Whilst I am a big fan of the free market, unfortunately it seems to go hand in hand with undertones of homophobia and other things I don't like. So I'd like to be confident that the Tory party has no problem with me on that front.

ReputationRep:
    I have read about thatchers reforms and tbh I don't like them.
    If ever there was proof of the importance of studying a little history, this is it. Britain was in the duldrums in a big way in the 1970's. The government was forced to impose a 3 day working week to conserve fuel. Britain was forced to rely on IMF loans to keep itself solvent; aside from the humiliation, this meant giving the IMF considerable control over public spending. Thatcher's reforms may not have been particularly friendly, but we all owe our relatively comfortable lives to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    If ever there was proof of the importance of studying a little history, this is it. Britain was in the duldrums in a big way in the 1970's. The government was forced to impose a 3 day working week to conserve fuel. Britain was forced to rely on IMF loans to keep itself solvent; aside from the humiliation, this meant giving the IMF considerable control over public spending. Thatcher's reforms may not have been particularly friendly, but we all owe our relatively comfortable lives to them.
    But the NHS and Education systems got into a bit of a state. They are now doing much better. I can rememeber what school and hospital like before labour and they have deffinately improved. I have also read in the tory manifesto that they intend to 18 billion from public spending and I can't see that doing any good for health and education I therefore will not be voteing tory.

ReputationRep:
    But the NHS and Education systems got into a bit of a state. They are now doing much better. I can rememeber what school and hospital like before labour and they have deffinately improved. I have also read in the tory manifesto that they intend to 18 billion from public spending and I can't see that doing any good for health and education I therefore will not be voteing tory.
    but do you know why they are?

it is not a zero-sum game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    but do you know why they are?

it is not a zero-sum game.
    Sorry I don't get what you mean

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.