Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

NIMBY Rural housing debate Please Help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    Tommorow in a PSE lesson we will be debating wether we should build on rural areas to supply the growing demand of housing (low cost etc). I am arguing that we should be building in some rural areas but need a bit of help. If people could drop ideas, arguments and statistics I can use to back up my argument I would be so happy.
    I really want to make a good impression on our new head of sixth form who is our teacher.
    Thank you all and have a good night!
    Will

ReputationRep:
    First thing, drop the NIMBY slur. It's immature and totally hypocritical as unless you live in an utter ****hole every body is NIMBY at some point whether it be not wanting a halfway house for ex paedophile offenders across the road from your child's school to not wanting the carpet shop beneath your flat getting permission to change into a late opening kebab shop.
    Everybody is a NIMBY. The only people that aren't are the people not affected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    First thing, drop the NIMBY slur. It's immature and totally hypocritical as unless you live in an utter ****hole every body is NIMBY at some point whether it be not wanting a halfway house for ex paedophile offenders across the road from your child's school to not wanting the carpet shop beneath your flat getting permission to change into a late opening kebab shop.
    Everybody is a NIMBY. The only people that aren't are the people not affected.
    Agree about NIMBY being a slur, but I'd disagree with everything else. NIMBY is just a word/acronym for those who only oppose a particular development for purely selfish reasons. It is not a catch all term for anyone who happens to oppose a particular development, and people (including numerous politicians) need to stop abusing it that way.

Opposing a small development for the sake of it because of a view or because it's going to devalue your house could be seen as NIMBYism. But opposing a housing development because it's in a National Park, or it's going to destroy ancient woodland, cause flooding, cause problems with traffic, etc. is not. A lot of developments have very legitimate and strong arguments against them.

Unfortunately, I'd say NIMBY has become a word used as an insult to try and discredit opponents of developments, regardless of how strong their case against it is.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.