Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out of sixth form? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in year twelve at the moment and have just returned to school from the first half term holiday of the year. and I just have no motivation to get my work done.
    In the beginning of sixth form there were problems regarding my subjects and, after some sorting out I got put into double art BTEC level 3, and English lit A level.
    I thought I really wanted to do these subjects but I'm just not interested in the kind of art i'm doing (split into three, photography, sculpture and fine art). I'd much rather get into textiles and design, I don't do well in fine art since I cant draw or paint etc and same goes for sculpture. I kind of enjoy the photography aspect of it, but not enough to find any motivation. Also I'm not actually a good at English as I thought I was, not to mention I'm just generally losing interest in everything.

I think the main reason I'm feeling this way is that I'm starting to wonder whether my decision to choose sixth form was the right one, because I just feel so sick of the school system. the only reason I went was because I listened to everyone around me saying 'sixth form is better, you're not ready for a work environment'
    My main concern is not being able to get an apprenticeship because its already November and because I got a D in maths and have to retake in school. Would that stop me from being accepted into an apprenticeship?
    I've just applied for one on fashion design and styling (level 3) and it said I should get a response within four weeks.

I'm just scared in general I suppose of making the wrong decision, any advice on the situation would seriously be great. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiniDoughnuts)
    Hi,
    I'm in year twelve at the moment and have just returned to school from the first half term holiday of the year. and I just have no motivation to get my work done.
    In the beginning of sixth form there were problems regarding my subjects and, after some sorting out I got put into double art BTEC level 3, and English lit A level.
    I thought I really wanted to do these subjects but I'm just not interested in the kind of art i'm doing (split into three, photography, sculpture and fine art). I'd much rather get into textiles and design, I don't do well in fine art since I cant draw or paint etc and same goes for sculpture. I kind of enjoy the photography aspect of it, but not enough to find any motivation. Also I'm not actually a good at English as I thought I was, not to mention I'm just generally losing interest in everything.

I think the main reason I'm feeling this way is that I'm starting to wonder whether my decision to choose sixth form was the right one, because I just feel so sick of the school system. the only reason I went was because I listened to everyone around me saying 'sixth form is better, you're not ready for a work environment'
    My main concern is not being able to get an apprenticeship because its already November and because I got a D in maths and have to retake in school. Would that stop me from being accepted into an apprenticeship?
    I've just applied for one on fashion design and styling (level 3) and it said I should get a response within four weeks.

I'm just scared in general I suppose of making the wrong decision, any advice on the situation would seriously be great. x
    Maybe you could look at the specifications of your subjects and see if you will cover things in the future that interest you. However if you really feel that what you are currently doing at sixth form is not motivating you whatsoever then it may not be for you. If you are doing something which you don't like now then I think you'll find it incridibly hard to find the motivation to revise for your exams. Sixth form is certainly not 'better' for some people so what your friends said about not being ready for work is a load of rubbish. If you really want to work, then of course you're ready. In terms of it being too late, i wouldn't worry. I'm in year 13 and some people in my year have recently dropped out of sixth form to do apprenticeships, so don't think a decsion has to be made now. I think you should wait for the reply in four weeks and stay in sixth form until then. If they say yes and you want to do it then go for it. If they say no, try for another one, and maybe stop going to sixth form and retake your Maths exam in June if required by the company you apply to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyM23)
    Maybe you could look at the specifications of your subjects and see if you will cover things in the future that interest you. However if you really feel that what you are currently doing at sixth form is not motivating you whatsoever then it may not be for you. If you are doing something which you don't like now then I think you'll find it incridibly hard to find the motivation to revise for your exams. Sixth form is certainly not 'better' for some people so what your friends said about not being ready for work is a load of rubbish. If you really want to work, then of course you're ready. In terms of it being too late, i wouldn't worry. I'm in year 13 and some people in my year have recently dropped out of sixth form to do apprenticeships, so don't think a decsion has to be made now. I think you should wait for the reply in four weeks and stay in sixth form until then. If they say yes and you want to do it then go for it. If they say no, try for another one, and maybe stop going to sixth form and retake your Maths exam in June if required by the company you apply to
    Thank you, I suppose I should have gone with my gut in the first place and not gone to sixth form. But better late than never I guess. I'm feeling better about it now that I've settled into the idea if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I suppose I should have gone with my gut in the first place and not gone to sixth form. But better late than never I guess. I'm feeling better about it now that I've settled into the idea if that makes sense
    It makes perfect sense, and it definitely is better late than never! Always do what feels right

ReputationRep:
    Why drop out?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

hi Mini Doughtnuts,

I am a year 3 student at Ravensbourne, I understand your confusion and lack of motivation to continue studying a subject you are not interested in.

Generally it is good to keep an open mind to what people say however for yourself if you have a taste of something and feel it does not suit you, you should immediately act upon it. It is difficult to force yourself to like something that you clearly do not like, it becomes draining and all that energy could be put to better use doing something you love.

In term of your maths situation if it is GCSE Maths it is best to make a start on retaking that, as this can affect your later career, as most universities and work require a minimum of C of English and Maths. If this is A-level, as PhyM23 mentioned you should definitely look ahead and check what requirements your future careers are, then make plans to retake if necessary. It is better to solve these things during A-level then leave it till closer to the time

Its great that you have applied for a fashion design and styling and I wish you the best, if you get it and want it then go for it. If they have said no, don't let it discourage you, there are plenty of other options you can go to.

When I was back in sixth form I wasn't offered a range of different creative arts and only had fine art to fall back on. My drawing style was very cartoony and stylished and often hard for me to change. However I still wanted to continue on with art just not in that area. I went on to do a foundation where I got a taste of different pathways in the creative art industry and opened up my options a bit more, perhaps this is something you can look into?

As you are in the midst of your A-levels I could recommend what is known as a pre-foundation course targeted towards students who have completed GCSEs and AS Levels, here is an example of the course if you'd like to check it out Click Me

Other universities and colleges may also provide it, and similar to a foundation course it gives you a taster of different creative pathways and helps build your portfolio. If you find it is still not something you are interested in, you can change again later on.

It is never too late to change your mind, just ensure you stay one step ahead and check in advance where your options can take you in future.

Hope this helps!
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    hi Mini Doughtnuts,

I am a year 3 student at Ravensbourne, I understand your confusion and lack of motivation to continue studying a subject you are not interested in.

Generally it is good to keep an open mind to what people say however for yourself if you have a taste of something and feel it does not suit you, you should immediately act upon it. It is difficult to force yourself to like something that you clearly do not like, it becomes draining and all that energy could be put to better use doing something you love.

In term of your maths situation if it is GCSE Maths it is best to make a start on retaking that, as this can affect your later career, as most universities and work require a minimum of C of English and Maths. If this is A-level, as PhyM23 mentioned you should definitely look ahead and check what requirements your future careers are, then make plans to retake if necessary. It is better to solve these things during A-level then leave it till closer to the time

Its great that you have applied for a fashion design and styling and I wish you the best, if you get it and want it then go for it. If they have said no, don't let it discourage you, there are plenty of other options you can go to.

When I was back in sixth form I wasn't offered a range of different creative arts and only had fine art to fall back on. My drawing style was very cartoony and stylished and often hard for me to change. However I still wanted to continue on with art just not in that area. I went on to do a foundation where I got a taste of different pathways in the creative art industry and opened up my options a bit more, perhaps this is something you can look into?

As you are in the midst of your A-levels I could recommend what is known as a pre-foundation course targeted towards students who have completed GCSEs and AS Levels, here is an example of the course if you'd like to check it out Click Me

Other universities and colleges may also provide it, and similar to a foundation course it gives you a taster of different creative pathways and helps build your portfolio. If you find it is still not something you are interested in, you can change again later on.

It is never too late to change your mind, just ensure you stay one step ahead and check in advance where your options can take you in future.

Hope this helps!
    Jay
    Thank you for that huge response I went in for an interview with the fashion course and got accepted on the spot!
    I am still thinking of the best decision as I dont want to make any rash movements. :3

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever you think you would enjoy, if that's working in tesco then drop out and work in tesco, if you want to go get a job in a certain career figure out what you need, degrees or apprenticeships and figure out what you need to make it to that point and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    change college, a change of scenery can make a difference?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.