Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

KNEE CAP DISLOCATINg watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    About two years ago I was at my kickboxing class and my knee was dislocated. It took months to recover and I've never been active as I was since. I walk to school and back every day which takes me half an hour, but I feel scared to join any sports because I have been scarred from the incident. I'm really not good with body stuff like blood and broken or dislocated bones it makes me sick. I get so upset because I remember my physiotherapist telling my it is bound to happen again. I don't want it to happen again because it's so frightening. I'm taking a year out next year and i want to learn how to surf, it's been a dream of mine for years and years. I'm scared my bad knee will hold me back from doing things in life. Although it's only happened once, I still feel like I can't do things because there's such a high chance it could happen again.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by rhiannonm25)
    About two years ago I was at my kickboxing class and my knee was dislocated. It took months to recover and I've never been active as I was since. I walk to school and back every day which takes me half an hour, but I feel scared to join any sports because I have been scarred from the incident. I'm really not good with body stuff like blood and broken or dislocated bones it makes me sick. I get so upset because I remember my physiotherapist telling my it is bound to happen again. I don't want it to happen again because it's so frightening. I'm taking a year out next year and i want to learn how to surf, it's been a dream of mine for years and years. I'm scared my bad knee will hold me back from doing things in life. Although it's only happened once, I still feel like I can't do things because there's such a high chance it could happen again.
    I'm no expert but using it is probably about the best thing you can do- not being stupid obviously, but letting it work which you obviously do walking to school and stuff. There is a risk it'll happen again, but I'd try not to think about it too much if you can. You'll get some more specific information from people in the fitness forum for this, but are there any exercises you were given or can do to build up the muscles in your knee gradually to strengthen it before you do anything more serious? You could also ask your GP (or physio if you still see them, doubt it though) if there's anything you absolutely shouldn't do with it, they may not know but maybe worth a try if it puts your mind at rest. Enjoy your gap year either way!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.