The Student Room Group

AAA Insurance?

- OK, unis I applied to come in at A*AA, AAA and AAB.
- Currently thinking one of the A*AAs as the firm and an AAA as insurance.

Is this pushing my luck? Everyone that I've mentioned my insurance being AAA to has just stared at me like 'wtf are you doing'.

EDIT: AS grades were AAA, predicted A*A*A
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexion

Is this pushing my luck? Everyone that I've mentioned my insurance being AAA to has just stared at me like 'wtf are you doing'.

Well, I don't know your grades, both predicted and attained, but I'd say that was indeed risky.
Reply 2
My insurance is A*AA :K:. Depends on your ability, what did you get at AS?
What was your UMS at AS? I'm planning to have either an A*AA or AAA insurance, but that's because my AS UMS was high enough that I only need 3 C's at A2 to get AAA. If you are in a similar position, an AAA insurance is fine. If your AS grades weren't AAA, it probably wouldn't be such a good idea.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, I don't know your grades, both predicted and attained, but I'd say that was indeed risky.
Original post by ubisoft
My insurance is A*AA :K:. Depends on your ability, what did you get at AS?

Original post by sweeneyrod
What was your UMS at AS? I'm planning to have either an A*AA or AAA insurance, but that's because my AS UMS was high enough that I only need 3 C's at A2 to get AAA. If you are in a similar position, an AAA insurance is fine. If your AS grades weren't AAA, it probably wouldn't be such a good idea.

I'm at 567/600 UMS for Maths/FM, and 296/300 for Physics

Strong ASs, but I'm losing concentration a lot nowadays and I'm worried I'll miss out on those A*s/As
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alexion

Strong ASs, but I'm losing concentration a lot nowadays and I'm worried I'll miss out on those A*s/As

Well, that's the point of a lower insurance. Up to you.
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion

Shouldn't be a problem m8. My UMS are lower than yours (Physics 296 :eek: ).
Original post by Alexion

Only you really know the answer to this question(ik im a great philosoper right), what course are you applying to? If you get below AAA i.e. AAB the unis that require AAB will likely have that course in clearing anyways there are so many unis and uni places now that the power is really in the hands of the student now i remember even newcastle still had loads of. courses in clearing for ABB+ students very late cos they no longer have a limit to number of studebts.
So depending on how competitive the course is (guessing ur applying for very competitive course), id say AAA insurance is no longer as risky as it was.
Original post by Alexion

EDIT: AS grades were AAA, predicted A*A*A

It depends on how likely you think you're going to get the grades, that's a judgement only you're capable of making. If you're confident that you're going to get your prediction, having AAA as your insurance is fine. Looking at your AS results, your predictions seem pretty realistic so I think you'd be justified in going ahead with an AAA insurance.
Reply 9
Original post by Plagioclase
It depends on how likely you think you're going to get the grades, that's a judgement only you're capable of making. If you're confident that you're going to get your prediction, having AAA as your insurance is fine. Looking at your AS results, your predictions seem pretty realistic so I think you'd be justified in going ahead with an AAA insurance.

Yeah. I'm realising I'm just having a de-motivational evening :tongue:

Staring at some frustrating C4 trig and feeling annoyed at maths for the first time...
Reply 10
PS: Where and what are you applying for brah?
Original post by Alexion
Yeah. I'm realising I'm just having a de-motivational evening :tongue:

Staring at some frustrating C4 trig and feeling annoyed at maths for the first time...

The good thing about doing A2 Further Maths is that all your A2 Maths woes wash away when you start the the A2 Further Pure units (to be replaced by new woes).
Reply 12
Original post by ubisoft
PS: Where and what are you applying for brah?

S'all on my profile :smile:

MEng in Electronic Engineering (or similar) at Imperial, Southampton, Bath, Surrey and Bristol :h:
Also email the unis ur interested or might be interested in to see if their course ever goes into clearing, and speak to turors they. normally know which unis will have courses but the best thing is to meet ur grades which im sure ull do.
Reply 14
The good thing about doing A2 Further Maths is that all your A2 Maths woes wash away when you start the the A2 Further Pure units (to be replaced by new woes).

YES. I am really loving all the FP2 modules so far... :love:
Reply 15
Original post by Alexion
S'all on my profile :smile:

MEng in Electronic Engineering (or similar) at Imperial, Southampton, Bath, Surrey and Bristol :h:

EE is horrible :lol: I barely managed circuits in AS physics
Original post by Alexion
YES. I am really loving all the FP2 modules so far... :love:

Are you doing Edexcel? RIP when you get to FP3.
Reply 17
Are you doing Edexcel? RIP when you get to FP3.

Oh. Great. My teacher said the same... :afraid:
Reply 18
Original post by ubisoft
EE is horrible :lol: I barely managed circuits in AS physics

Aww, but I love computers :biggrin: I wanna work for NVidia in the future...
Original post by Alexion
Oh. Great. My teacher said the same... :afraid:

If it's any consolation, most of my class thought FP2 was worse but I'm not convinced they were doing the same course as me lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending