Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is learning the language useful? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Am I more likely to be accepted by a university if I somewhat know the language of the country the university is in? How important is it to know the language?
    I have been studying learning dutch since September so I only know some simple phases I won't have to apply for another year and I am trying to pace it so I can learn the phrases relevant to the course i would like to go on, even though it's in English.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there. We don't require any level of Dutch to study an English taught Master's and not knowing Dutch will not be detrimental to your application. You will find that the Dutch have an incredibly high level of English which makes doing things outside the University very easy. Of course once you are here many Universities will offer Dutch classes. Radboud Universities offers a number of courses in Dutch including Social Dutch. Check out the Radboud into Languages page.

I have been here over a year now and sadly my Dutch is still very bad, I blame this on the Dutch having such amazing English , potentially it may also be my fault....

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I am Dutch so I might be able to give you some advice. I've been studying at the University of Amsterdam for a few years now and I've met several international students who didn't speak Dutch at all but did fine in their studies in the Netherlands, but it really depends on the course. As long as you apply to a course that is fully taught in English, you won't need to know any Dutch. Even when grocery shopping or when finding a place to live, you'll find that almost everybody will be able to understand and speak English. So in short: don't let the language stop you from coming here. It's great that you're trying to learn to speak Dutch and I think you'll learn it quickly once you live and study in the Netherlands. It's always easier to pick up on a language when you're surrounded by it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    But don't think Dutch people don't notice if you are at least trying. Everyone likes it when someone is interested in their language or culture, and they will like you more for it.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.