Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've trained as a level 3 TA and then I did a degree in literature. I loved being a TA so I went for the PGCE, I don't think I could possibly continue as a teacher past this course. I don't understand how teachers do it. The stress is unbearable and I'm only training! They seem to spend every part of their waking lives in their job! I have no idea how they handle a family on top of it.

I don't know what to do, I know I can continue the course but afterwards I just want to go back to being a TA but I have no idea how this would reflect on my CV.
    I'm also worried about the job market but I guess that works whether you're a teacher or a TA. Are there TAs out there who have the PGCE qualification?
    I love being in a school, I'm just not cut out for the responsibilities.

Thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicachughes)
    I've trained as a level 3 TA and then I did a degree in literature. I loved being a TA so I went for the PGCE, I don't think I could possibly continue as a teacher past this course. I don't understand how teachers do it. The stress is unbearable and I'm only training! They seem to spend every part of their waking lives in their job! I have no idea how they handle a family on top of it.

I don't know what to do, I know I can continue the course but afterwards I just want to go back to being a TA but I have no idea how this would reflect on my CV.
    I'm also worried about the job market but I guess that works whether you're a teacher or a TA. Are there TAs out there who have the PGCE qualification?

Thanks for any advice.
    I'm in a similar position. I hold a degree in English Lit and after graduation decided to pursue a PGCE in primary education. I actually found the application process really easy, passed the skills tests in the first attempt, got accepted into my first choice provider which was also my first interview, was told by the acting head of the school I volunteered at that he would hire me in an instant were I a teacher. I took all that as a positive sign and went into the PGCE expecting it to be challenging but also something I would enjoy and do well in.

I was very wrong. On my first placement my uni tutor made some condescending comments about whether I actually have what it takes to survive the PGCE and suggested my disposition (I'm naturally a soft spoken, quite person) was not suitable for the profession. My teacher tutor then picked up on this and it became a massive issue throughout the placement. I was constantly put down for have a 'soft voice' (their words), and consistently told to change it. I tried. I genuinely tried, but how can I change my voice? This is the voice I have had my entire life, I can change the tone but not the voice. I spoke louder, the loudest I could without shouting and it still wasn't loud enough.

After this my teacher tutor began telling me negative comments my uni tutor had made about me which just destroyed my confidence even more.

Anyway I somehow managed to pass that placement and was then placed in the same school for my second placement. I was under a different teacher, but my teacher tutor from p1 became my school mentor. My uni tutor turned out to be an old friend of my new teacher tutor and things just got worse from there. I don't want to go into details but I ended up becoming depressed.

I'm now on my next placement and although the school is wonderful and my teacher tutor is very very good I just don't like teaching anymore. In fact I have come to hate it. I have had enough and want to discontinue with the course so I can get some semblance of normality in my life. I just want to get a job and start earning some money because I know I will never teach whether I complete the PGCE or not. I will also never work in the education sector.

I will never forget the degradation I felt on my first two placements and quite frankly do not want to work with my uni tutor any more. The way some senior management within schools think they have the right to humiliate you on a daily basis is horrific.

This year has dragged so much, I'm actually still doing this PGCE when most of my cohort have already qualified, because I had an accident and had to take time out after surgery. It's been the longest, most draining year of my life. I see no point in continuing and making myself suffer more when I know I won't be pursuing a career in the education sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starshine123)
    I'm in similar position. I hold a degree in English Lit and after graduation decided to pursue a PGCE in primary education. I actually found the application process really easy, passed the skills tests in the first attempt, got accepted into my first choice provider which was also my first interview, was told by the acting head of the school I volunteered at that he would hire me in an instant were I a teacher. I took all that as a positive sign and went into the PGCE expecting it to be challenging but also something I would enjoy and do well in.

I was very wrong. On my first placement my uni tutor made some condescending comments about whether I actually have what it takes to survive the PGCE and suggested my disposition (I'm naturally a soft spoken, quite person) was not suitable for the profession. My teacher tutor then picked up on this and it became a massive issue throughout the placement. I was constantly put down for have a 'soft voice' (their words), and consistently told to change it. I tried. I genuinely tried, but how can I change my voice? This is the voice I have had my entire life, I can change the tone but not the voice. I spoke louder, the loudest I could without shouting and it still wasn't loud enough.

After this my teacher tutor began telling me negative comments my uni tutor had made about me which just destroyed my confidence even more.

Anyway I somehow managed to pass that placement and was then placed in the same school for my second placement. I was under a different teacher, but my teacher tutor from p1 became my school mentor. My uni tutor turned out to be an old friend of my new teacher tutor and things just got worse from there. I don't want to go into details but I ended up becoming depressed.

I'm now on my next placement and although the school is wonderful and my teacher tutor is very very good I just don't like teaching anymore. In fact I have come to hate it. I have had enough and want to discontinue with the course so I can get some semblance of normality in my life. I just want to get a job and start earning some money because I know I will never teach whether I complete the PGCE or not. I will also never work in the education sector.

I will never forget the degradation I felt on my first two placements and quite frankly do not want to work with my uni tutor any more. The way some senior management within schools think they have the right to humiliate you on a daily basis is horrific.

This year has dragged so much, I'm actually still doing this PGCE when most of my cohort has already qualified, because I had an accident and had to take time out after surgery. It's been the longest, most draining year of my life. I see no point in continuing and making myself suffer more when I know I won't be pursuing a career in education sector.
    I really like soft-spoken people, and I'm drawn to educators that are soft spoken really. To me, soft-spoken people are naturally well mannered and likeable (though understandably not so authoritative, but still respected. Well in my mind of course)

If you were my teacher, it doesn't matter what you teach since I'd probably ace it considering I'd perceive you positively and the greater effort I'm willing to put based on my perceived positive notion of your manners and approaches

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position. I hold a degree in English Lit and after graduation decided to pursue a PGCE in primary education. I actually found the application process really easy, passed the skills tests in the first attempt, got accepted into my first choice provider which was also my first interview, was told by the acting head of the school I volunteered at that he would hire me in an instant were I a teacher. I took all that as a positive sign and went into the PGCE expecting it to be challenging but also something I would enjoy and do well in.

This year has dragged so much, I'm actually still doing this PGCE when most of my cohort have already qualified, because I had an accident and had to take time out after surgery. It's been the longest, most draining year of my life. I see no point in continuing and making myself suffer more when I know I won't be pursuing a career in the education sector.

I have a high voice and they say I have to try and change it. Even my welsh accent in an English school is problematic. My passionate has completely gone, I'm completely put off but I haven't actually really had bad experiences, fortunately.
    I can make it through the year but I don't want to teach after this, but I have no idea what would happen afterwards.
    Education isn't always a nice place to be and what you've said has shown that.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ! And these teachers are supposed to have an awareness of and anti bullying approach. God help the kids they're responsible for in their capacity as a teacher.

My school days would make me tempted to mouth off right back at these so called mentors but I know that in terms of the politics of the whole thing it might feel hard to assert yourself.

This thread has made me so mad and I really feel for what both posters are saying here.

ReputationRep:
    In a school that I volunteered in, there was a lady that had just completed her PGCE, however she said she didn't feel ready to have her own class. Instead she worked as an intervention teacher where she worked with small groups of children providing extra support and intervention sessions. Perhaps if you could something like this, it could be an option?

Also this is exactly what I've been anxious about when thinking of applying for a PGCE. I am naturally softly spoken and scared that this might be seen negatively. Personally I've found that when I was in school, it was these kinds of teachers that I really enjoyed being with and I needed someone who wasn't always bouncing around and being loud and entertaining, but someone who I could relate to in a way.

I also found the teacher of the class which I volunteered in was very quiet and softly spoken, however her control of the class was amazing and you could tell that she had the respect of the class.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There are plenty of TAs who have completed a PGCE and it is also very common for teachers educated in other countries to work as TAs here for quite a long time to build their confidence despite holding QTS. I can't speak for everyone of course, but I would view the fact that you had completed some or all of a PGCE favourably when considering you for TA positions.

ReputationRep:
    Dear sofly spoken teachers,

This may sound a little odd but if you are in a secondary school have you asked the P.E. department for help. I know this sounds odd but I trained as a PE teacher and during my first placement I struggled with my voice. I was fine in a classroom but projecting my voice across the sports hall or field was difficult. My mentor and head of department taught us how to project our voices so all pupils could hear us. The other trainee had the same problem and part of this consisted of shouting 'twinkle twinkle little star' to each other across the sports hall.
    I am sure this was not just the school who did this.

This might not solve everything, but what I am trying to say is one of the PE teachers might be able to give you some help with this as they have the same issue and see this problem all the time with their trainees.

ReputationRep:
    I am not thinking of leaving my PGCE because I think it's too hard... Don't get me wrong it is very hard. I'm not hating my children, they are challenging but it's rewarding to see them enjoy my lesson. But 100% because of my Mentor. He speaks to me like a child, and finds problems with everything I say or do. I am a grown up, worked for years as a designer and now training to teach Design and technology, I am also married with a son and a mortgage. I know I am technically a student, but even my degree tutors did not speak to me so terribly. I'll give you an example of the way he treats me: yesterday I had shown him my lesson plans and resources, which my subject tutor helped me with as I've had a lot of problems with my mentor, so he wanted me to have a plan he couldn't rip to pieces. Even though that was the case, he absolutely ripped it too pieces!! Then made me re-plan the lesson. I went a long with this and re-planned it exactly how he said. But then today showed him it and he asked my why I had missed a part about CAD. This was in my previous lesson, so I told him he told me to take it all out and do it this way. He then said I should do this part. I agreed and said I will put it back in, but he was very condescending and said if I'm going to do a lesson to do it properly and teach all the parts of the topic. Which I originally did. It's hard to describe his attitude, but he's clearly a miserable man. He observed a lesson and was very horrible about it, gave me no positives only negatives and told me I should be concerned... I've only been teaching 4 weeks, and only 2 lessons per week. My tutor at uni is not happy either. My main concern is that Unless I start standing up for myself he will continue to treat me like this. But then he may make my life harder. I have to rely on this man for guidance and I am not getting any, just sly comments and criticism. I want a new mentor but that means an investigation which I am the only one who can vouch for me... The other teachers will stick with him.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you are feeling. The workload is imense, I'm getting home at 6, making the tea and dealing with my son on my own as my husband works late shifts. Then when he's gone to bed I work till mid night every day and I'm up again at 6 to go to school. I knew this would be the case and all of my previous jobs have been just as bad in working hours. I am putting my heart and soul in to it and getting no recognition. My mentor is not a nice person and unsupportative in every way. Just critisises me, and not constructively so I can learn from it. I'm at the point of leaving due to him. I am a strong and very independent person but like all trainees.., not just teaching any profession, I need help and guidance to get it right. With out that failure is imminent. If any one else is in this position you will understand that it's incredibly hard to confront your mentor as there's only you to vouch for your accusations. I've told my uni who said all they can do is come in and observe me early to see how I'm getting on, but my mentor is different around them and he's ensuring he fills out the paper work properly and giving me time... But in this time he is basically criticising me. I can't prove his attitude and I don't want be unprofessional. I hope you can sort things out and believe me there are loads of things which can scare you off teaching, but stay strong and keep working hard.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the HOD in my first placement shouting at me for about 4 minutes in front of 5 members of the sixth form class I was supposed to be teaching for being an inadequate teacher which left the teenagers to ask me if I was okay after she had left the class....

That put me in a good frame of mind as I was about to teach my year 7 class.

Then 3 days before breaking up for Xmas I was feelin so sick but went in anyway and my head went completely dizzy in the classroom but carried on anyway with her at the back. Was a **** lesson but an hour later she caught up with me giving how great she was as a teacher (apparently won teacher of the month for our county back in 2011, the award is arrogantly displayed in the corridor) and I'm failing and she will speak to the university to fail me on this placement..... This happened not anywhere in private like you would expect but in the middle of a corridor!!!!!!

I wish I could go back and tell her to **** off, but my university tutor told me to keep my mouth shut and head down.

I hated her guts and no one could believe me when I told them how she treated me....

Another member of staff in that school would openly call students idiots, stupid and shout like a women possessed. She even grabbed a boy who was prone to self harm and chucked him out of the classroom and the two full time members of staff were scared to report the incident because of her role on the SMT... My PGCE colleague did so but it didn't become official until we left the school.

First grammar school apparently to fail OFSTED, we weren't surprised at all when we all heard it.

Poor kids who are still studying there.

I did the second placement but my motivation had long gone since then, stayed purely for the bursary.

Last I heard from a co-hort of 25, about 13 have given it up within 3 years, I'm not sure about the other 12 as I haven't kept in touch with everyone.

Meeting a girl who is a teacher is also a turn-off, purely because I know how much of her time will be taken up with work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicachughes)

Thanks for any advice.
    Hi

In my placement we have a lot of NQTs and they said it gets a lot easier after your PGCE year. I agree the workload is nuts but I feel when I know the curriculum content better and have done a few lesson plans, then things will get much easier. As you can keep using the same material but just tweak it depending on the ability of the class.

Not much advice but hope it helped.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a similar experience, I did recently, I was given unsatisfactory across all areas, reading the comments from university felt like I got stabbed, it sounded so personal. I was criticised from the start to the end, when we were taught how to give feedback we were taught to write it in a way it will be helpful to your pupil- 2 stars and a wish, mine was just criticisms from beginning to end, comments were made about my attittude was not courteous! I have an accent because I am not born in this country I was looked in a way like I was incompetent from the time I entered into the class, my mentor said I didnt show her my plans, I dont use my voice... NO ROOM FOR MISTAKES.

My destroyed my confidence,it has gone so low that I have no motivation to go back to school and to do any remainders of the lessons. I felt so undermined by the tutor and my mentor who raised concerns about my practice. I thought you are allowed to make mistakes as you get to learn from them, but every time I made mistakes it will go on my list of mistakes and all were counted as many mistakes, all my papers were upto date, but my tutor was told I pulled my file all togather the last minute. I didnt see anything wrong with printing my report if I had typed it and saved it on my USB, but even this I was judged as not being ready. I am soo dishurtened by this and I still have to finish 2 weeks while I already know I have failed. in my view I dont see the point of going back if I have already failed.

I didnt know if Cric is supposed to be like this, just

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.