Should I study in the US or UK? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently doing 11th grade IB with
    HL: math, physics, English literature
    SL: bio, business management, Dutch
    I want to study astrophysics, computer mathematics, or
    game design and find a way to incorporate my creative writing.
    Which continent should I go to to get a respectable undergraduate
    degree and (hopefully) a career after that?
    Any advice/past experience is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    UK
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    ^ what he said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GinaTheCrouton)
    Hi,
    Are you good enough both academically and in at least one extra-curricular activity to get into a top tier US College on a full scholarship?

If the answer is yes then great, go for it.

If the answer is no then don't bother even thinking about studying in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Are you good enough both academically and in at least one extra-curricular activity to get into a top tier US College on a full scholarship?

If the answer is yes then great, go for it.

If the answer is no then don't bother even thinking about studying in the US.
    Yeah, I'm in Global Issues Network (charity in your community thing), I'm in an elective astronomy class, I'm joining this club that coaches middle school girls through whatever troubles, and I'm going to Myanmar to volunteer 4 weeks next June. I don't know how extensive they expect my extracurriculars to be, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm in Global Issues Network (charity in your community thing), I'm in an elective astronomy class, I'm joining this club that coaches middle school girls through whatever troubles, and I'm going to Myanmar to volunteer 4 weeks next June. I don't know how extensive they expect my extracurriculars to be, though.
    That might be acceptable, if you can add straight A* GCSE & A Level grades to that.

Although even if you can your chances of getting a scholarship to any University in the US that is worth a damn are still exceedingly slim, and it's almost certain that even if you could get a scholarship it would only be a partial one and you'd still be looking at having to find somewhere in the region of £30-50,000 out of your own pocket over the course of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    UK is better for undergraduate studies.

ReputationRep:
    Americas probably cheaper.UK's education systems better tho

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Both the UK and US have great universities. It really depends on your financial situation.

If you are able to achieve top marks and get good scholarships from high-ranked US colleges, then I would definitely recommend doing this instead. If not, the UK would be a good alternative.

Mind you, generally speaking, US colleges have lower IB requirements as opposed to UK universities, so you might want to take that into account if you are too unsure about your predicted grades. I also think that US colleges might value your IB degree more than UK universities, which will give you offers for high predicted grades.

Note: Did you also consider Canada as well?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.