Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my name is Laura and I finished High School in June 2015 and am currently studying Linguistics in Austria. The first months being passed I can already tell that - even tough i find it very interesting - this is not what I want to do all my life. I mainly started Linguistics because I didn't know what else to do. I wanted to start some kind of study right away and in most Austrian universities there is no long application process necessary and basically everyone with a high school diploma can start studying right away.
    The last couple of weeks I intensively started looking at different colleges, programs and universities, also internationally. I didn't really manage to do that during my last year of high school. I now figured out that King's college is exactly what I want to do, it's exactly what I've been looking for.
    I will definitely apply to King's college but my questions are:
    - Is it bad for my application that I already started another study but didn't finish it?
    - Are there any tips how to explain this in my personal statement?
    - Will my application be neglected because I took a one year "break" and didn't apply right away?
    I am willing to work really hard for this, it won't fail due to my graduation grades but I am not quite sure what I have to pay attention to in my personal statement.
    I hope someone can help me with that issue! Thank you in advance!
    Laura
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Laura,

Thanks for your question and interest in King’s College!

A lot of students take gap years between their studies for a variety of reasons. These can include having a break from studies to travel/work, or to perhaps take some time to work out what they’d like to study. Some students find the course they’ve chosen isn’t for them, so they don’t complete it.

Our courses are competitive so we do look for those who meet the entry requirements and take in to account personal statements, some courses may also require an interview. Which course are you interested in studying?

Your personal statement is a chance to shine and explain why you want to come to study at King’s College London. Take a look at our YouTube video on writing your personal statement, which is really helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNOA...772933&index=5

There’s also some information about writing your personal statement on the following page under the dropdown ‘What should I include in my personal statement’:
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad.../applying.aspx

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.