Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Application after a "break"/not finished study - what to write in personal statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I already posted this in another Forum but I think it also fits in here:
    My name is Laura and I finished High School in June 2015 and am currently studying Linguistics in Austria. The first months being passed I can already tell that - even tough i find it very interesting - this is not what I want to do all my life. I mainly started Linguistics because I didn't know what else to do. I wanted to start some kind of study right away and in most Austrian universities there is no long application process necessary and basically everyone with a high school diploma can start studying right away. The last couple of weeks I intensively started looking at different colleges, programs and universities, also internationally. I didn't really manage to do that during my last year of high school. I now figured out that King's college is exactly what I want to do, it's exactly what I've been looking for. I will definitely apply to King's college but my questions are:
    - Is it bad for my application that I already started another study but didn't finish it?
    - Are there any tips how to explain this in my personal statement?
    - Will my application be neglected because I took a one year "break" and didn't apply right away?
    I am willing to work really hard for this, it won't fail due to my graduation grades but I am no quite sure what I have to pay attention to in my personal statement. I hope someone can help me with that issue! Thank you in advance! Laura
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    No it doesn't matter that you've already started at uni but haven't finished or that you've taken a year off. You don't really need to talk about it in your PS unless you have something positive to say about how you've developed an interest in the subject or developed study skills. Ask your referee to mention why you decided to leave.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.