Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Really underweight but can't seem to gain any watch

I am 6ft male who currently weighs just 8 stone 10. I've dropped lower than this but i usually stay around this and maybe go as high as low 9's. When i gain/lose weight i never really make any changes or notice any changes to my lifestyle, it just seems to happen.

I know i'm not anorexic as i'm fairly sure that's body disillusion and thinking you're overweight when you are not, and i have no trouble excepting i am underweight. I don't eat tons, but having been to uni and living with others i can tell i am eating similar to what they are and they seem a healthy weight (even sometimes overweight).

I have been to the doctors and they are somewhat useless, basically just said until it really effects my health i shouldn't worry about it. Even though i think it probably does effect my health, as i always seem to end up getting ill more than those around me.

Anybody have any advice on why i can't seem to gain weight and how i can actually put some healthy weight on? Please don't just say the obvious "eat more", i do try but if i force food down when i already feel full it makes me feel like i could be sick.

ReputationRep:
    Hit the gym (find yourself a balanced routine for beginners, i'd suggest full body workout 3x a week), invest in a mass gainer which will give you anywhere from 1.5-2k calories per serving and, i'm genuinely sorry to say.. eat more.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day you do just need to eat more. It will feel uncomfortable until your body gets used to eating more/richer food.

Maybe try and keep a food diary for a week or two so you can see how little you are actually eating and pick some points in the day to add in calories.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.