Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Thread Starter

    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm currently struggling at uni and considering dropping out or taking time away. Problem is i'll have no way of earning money (i'm currently reliant on student finance loans and DSA).

    I have mental health illnesses and learning disabilities that mean I am tired to the extent I often can't make it through a day, can't focus well, have difficulty filling in documents (it takes me hours sometimes to complete a basic 10min form). I also get triggered rather easily meaning I slip into episodes of really poor mental health where I can hardly leave the house or cook for myself. This is why I am struggling at uni and why I would be unable to keep a fulltime job.

    Could anybody offer me some advice on what benefits I may be entitled to and how to apply. I have looked online but I don't understand much of it ( I have difficulty reading and taking in information too).

    Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    I am going to move this one to the disabled students forum.

    You can apply for PIP. This is paid to people who have care and /or mobility needs. The help you need must be reasonable. You may have to have an assessment. (not a medical)

    You can apply for ESA. This is paid to people who can't work. You have to send in sick notes. You may have to undergo an assessment. (not a medical)

    You, if you rent, may also be entitled to housing benefit and council benefit.

    PIP isn't based on any income or savings you have. Housing benefit, council tax benefit and ESA are.

    You need to get help filling in the forms for PIP and ESA.
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.