Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in studying Actuarial Science but have no idea which university to choose as I don't know which university is good in this course and also has better environment. I have a few choices such as Queen's University Belfast, University of East Anglia, University of Leeds, University of Kent, Heriot-Watt University and lastly City University London. Can someone please give me some suggestion or advice?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by danielng96)
    I am interested in studying Actuarial Science but have no idea which university to choose as I don't know which university is good in this course and also has better environment. I have a few choices such as Queen's University Belfast, University of East Anglia, University of Leeds, University of Kent, Heriot-Watt University and lastly City University London. Can someone please give me some suggestion or advice?
    Hi danielng96,

Heriot-Watt University's Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics Department here

We're really pleased that you are considering studying Actuarial Science here. We are the place to come! :dance:

We were the first department to offer a BSc in Actuarial Science in the UK. We have over 40 years of experience in delivering excellence. We have a worldwide community of alumni professionals who attest to our standards and our programme is well regarded throughout the actuarial world. Of our staff, 30% are qualified actuaries with strong links to the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA), ensuring that teaching is practical and relevant to the real working world. Career prospects and salaries are excellent. 95% of our graduates secure employment within 6 months of graduating.

Have you been to Edinburgh? Heriot-Watt University is set in 380 acres of parkland on the outskirts of Edinburgh. As we are campus-based, everything is in one place. It's a really friendly place to be. Edinburgh city centre is about 30 minutes away by bus. It's a great city - it really comes alive during the Fringe Festival in August and at Christmas. It's also the second largest financial hub in the UK.

We have a new programme - the BSc in Actuarial Science and Diploma in Industrial Training, which gives you 12 months' experience of working in an organisation such as a life insurance company, a pension consultancy, an investment management firm, or a bank, in Year 4. This allows you to start your career with a year's work experience in hand.

We also have an Actuarial Flying Start Programme with PricewaterhouseCoopers. They select up to 5 of our students to work for them in their London Office for six months in Year 3 and six months in Year 5. This is a fantastic opportunity which may lead to a graduate job offer! :w00t:

Our graduates are able to gain exemptions from eight of the IFoA' exams - the maximum number of exemptions available at undergraduate level in the UK.

We are a global university with campuses in Dubai and Malaysia. There would be the opportunity to spend a year studying Actuarial Science at our Malaysia Campus. :shock: We also have study abroad opportunities with the University of Melbourne in Australia and the University of Waterloo in Canada.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Holly (School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences) :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the imformation! There is another question, does the university provide foundation in actuarial science or just the degree? Or I can only do the foundation course in Malaysia campus?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi danielng9,

Thanks for your question

At Heriot-Watt University's campus in Edinburgh, Scotland, the BSc (Honours) in Actuarial Science degree is 4 years in duration. You can watch a video explaining why here. There isn't a foundation programme in Actuarial Science available. With the right qualification and grades, there is the possibility to start the degree in Year 2, making it 3 years in duration.

The BSc (Honours) in Actuarial Science degree at our Malaysia Campus is 3 years in duration. (The Year 1 there is equivalent to Year 2 in Edinburgh). The Malaysia Campus offers Foundation Programmes in Science and Business & Design which allow progression on to the Actuarial Science degree.

I hope that helps, but if it isn't clear, please let me know

Holly (School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.