Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone else have a desire for other people's company but feel constantly disappointed by how bored you feel in it? I want to invest in people and take a genuine interest in them but I do not really feel excited around them people, even people who I like. It's not like I don't have friends, I have a few friends, even close friends, although I feel the same way about them, I do genuinely care for their welfare but i'm just not curious about them. The only exception to this was my ex, I don't know what she had that anyone else had, maybe it was the allure and mystery of chemistry, but I do know one thing, she wasn't a stereotypically interesting person, I meet people everyday (through socials, mutual friends, sports clubs) who I have more common interests and yet I still feel this way.

I don't have anxiety issues either, I can strike up conversations with complete strangers and some people even consider me extroverted and arrogant, the former is definitely rubbish.

I'd like advice: Is it healthy? Is it psychology or physiology? Is there anything I can do about it?

ReputationRep:
    Finding a genuine interest in someone is difficult, as most people are as boring as watching paint dry.:indiff:

Most people find it hard to actually speak their minds and be controversial. Now if you were to read thoughts on the other hand, that would be far more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else have a desire for other people's company but feel constantly disappointed by how bored you feel in it? I want to invest in people and take a genuine interest in them but I do not really feel excited around them people, even people who I like. It's not like I don't have friends, I have a few friends, even close friends, although I feel the same way about them, I do genuinely care for their welfare but i'm just not curious about them. The only exception to this was my ex, I don't know what she had that anyone else had, maybe it was the allure and mystery of chemistry, but I do know one thing, she wasn't a stereotypically interesting person, I meet people everyday (through socials, mutual friends, sports clubs) who I have more common interests and yet I still feel this way.

I don't have anxiety issues either, I can strike up conversations with complete strangers and some people even consider me extroverted and arrogant, the former is definitely rubbish.

I'd like advice: Is it healthy? Is it psychology or physiology? Is there anything I can do about it?
    OP you are almost certainly an introvert. We consider the faces of people to be no more interesting than a bunch of flowers according to some studies. Unlike extroverts who derive their energy from social interaction our energy reserves are drained from being around people

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    OP you are almost certainly an introvert. We consider the faces of people to be no more interesting than a bunch of flowers according to some studies. Unlike extroverts who derive their energy from social interaction our energy reserves are drained from being around people
    But if I am introverted why do I sometimes want to spend time around people? My ex thought I was extroverted but i'm willing to put that one on chemistry, maybe the romance just made me more energetic....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But if I am introverted why do I sometimes want to spend time around people? My ex thought I was extroverted but i'm willing to put that one on chemistry, maybe the romance just made me more energetic....
    Probably the romance made you feel more energetic. Let me ask you a question: When you spend time out and about and with other people (including friends) did you come away energised or tired and needing a day or two to yourself?

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Probably the romance made you feel more energetic. Let me ask you a question: When you spend time out and about and with other people (including friends) did you come away energised or tired and needing a day or two to yourself?
    It actually depends on my mood, earlier for example I was tired and bored but a few days ago when I left a friend I was really energetic... I've just noticed I also seem to do better if I don't sleep? Im always really, really social around 6am if I haven't slept lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.