Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are apprenticeships better than uni? (should I do one while i wait?) watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been looking at options a lot recently, I've just finished college studying media production before my course got cut from the school funding (cheers lads.) and have been looking around for what options I now have. With regards to the Uni side of things I would have to wait until September to get enrolled so this is kinda like a gap year.

I was planning on just getting a full time job in a small shop or in maccies or something before I saw the different types of apprenticeships. I've heard about them vaguely but I honestly just thought that you could only get apprenticeships in hairdressing or bricklaying etc. etc.

I've seen that you get paid with regards to an apprenticeship so it's literally just like going to uni except you're getting paid pretty much instead of paying for the training and education, right? (I think) The wage is pretty low, it's £3.30 at the moment, but i'm thinking that if i was going to take a gap year anyway, by the time uni would come back around in august/September time i'd have (pretty much) finished my apprenticeship course and be on a higher wage since i'd then be qualified. I found this one company who's a training provider for apprenticeships who also say that 100% of the apprentices they take on are guaranteed a job with the same employer, which is better since apparently apprenticeships are quick to get in to and you dont need any knowledge.

I've kind of gone off the idea of carrying on with media at the moment because i feel like i've wasted the past 2 years of my life doing it and i still have another 3 to do (I came out with DMM at NED Level 3) and was just looking at doing an apprenticeship that i know that i could always fall back on should i ever need to, with a higher probability of a better wage if i ever decide to go back to uni in the future. (since the jobs with regards to the media industry and really bloody hard to get in to and secure a position with that company) I found the apprenticeship from someone online since their company has set up a new website for like a job website search thing but specifically for apprenticeship so if you want to check it out you can ' www.apprenticeship4you.co.uk ' all the vancancies for the apprenticeships are based around the west midlands area and wales, just have a look you'll see what i mean i'm not the best at geography.

So can anyone else give me and guidance? would doing an apprenticeship be better to do now as opposed to doing a gap year in another full time job?
    are apprenticeships worth it? and what is the whole process like? Sorry for all the questions i've just kind of gone through this thought process and now i just want to tie up the loose ends with regards to evaluation questions haha thank you to everyone that comments in advance :-) !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmsyo)
    So I've been looking at options a lot recently, I've just finished college studying media production before my course got cut from the school funding (cheers lads.) and have been looking around for what options I now have. With regards to the Uni side of things I would have to wait until September to get enrolled so this is kinda like a gap year.

I was planning on just getting a full time job in a small shop or in maccies or something before I saw the different types of apprenticeships. I've heard about them vaguely but I honestly just thought that you could only get apprenticeships in hairdressing or bricklaying etc. etc.

I've seen that you get paid with regards to an apprenticeship so it's literally just like going to uni except you're getting paid pretty much instead of paying for the training and education, right? (I think) The wage is pretty low, it's £3.30 at the moment, but i'm thinking that if i was going to take a gap year anyway, by the time uni would come back around in august/September time i'd have (pretty much) finished my apprenticeship course and be on a higher wage since i'd then be qualified. I found this one company who's a training provider for apprenticeships who also say that 100% of the apprentices they take on are guaranteed a job with the same employer, which is better since apparently apprenticeships are quick to get in to and you dont need any knowledge.

I've kind of gone off the idea of carrying on with media at the moment because i feel like i've wasted the past 2 years of my life doing it and i still have another 3 to do (I came out with DMM at NED Level 3) and was just looking at doing an apprenticeship that i know that i could always fall back on should i ever need to, with a higher probability of a better wage if i ever decide to go back to uni in the future. (since the jobs with regards to the media industry and really bloody hard to get in to and secure a position with that company) I found the apprenticeship from someone online since their company has set up a new website for like a job website search thing but specifically for apprenticeship so if you want to check it out you can ' www.apprenticeship4you.co.uk ' all the vancancies for the apprenticeships are based around the west midlands area and wales, just have a look you'll see what i mean i'm not the best at geography.

So can anyone else give me and guidance? would doing an apprenticeship be better to do now as opposed to doing a gap year in another full time job?
    are apprenticeships worth it? and what is the whole process like? Sorry for all the questions i've just kind of gone through this thought process and now i just want to tie up the loose ends with regards to evaluation questions haha thank you to everyone that comments in advance :-) !
    It depends upon what you want to do in terms of employment. Apprenticeships are good in certain areas, i.e. accountancy, engineering, IT, etc. You can do an Apprenticeship and go to University afterwards. You generally can't go to University and then go onto an Apprenticeship, though. I also did what you did: 2 year Apprenticeship then University (final year now).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.