The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Marketing at Bournemouth Uni

Hi Everyone,

I'm Chris a second year Marketing Communications student here at BU! This is a thread for anybody who is interested in studying Marketing, PR, Advertising or other business or media courses here at BU!

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Thanks

Chris :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hi Chris I have put Bournemouth as one of my choices for uni as I want to study marketing, are you enjoying the course?, what's the nightlife like, would you consider Bournemouth to be a good uni for future employers and do you think the teachers are good at teaching the course.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by okane287
Hi Chris I have put Bournemouth as one of my choices for uni as I want to study marketing, are you enjoying the course?, what's the nightlife like, would you consider Bournemouth to be a good uni for future employers and do you think the teachers are good at teaching the course.

Hi Okane,

Great choice! I study Marketing Communications and personally I am really enjoying the course! The staff are helpful, positive and make the lectures as interesting as possible and the library is stocked full of marketing and business related books which comes in so handy for assignments. The Marketing and Marketing Communications have loads of cross-over, but Marketing Communications is a part of the media faculty and places more emphasis on attracting customers and creating loyalty. Marketing Comms also has lots of cross-over with Advertising and PR, while Bsc Marketing works closely with other business and management courses.

In terms of employability students on both the Marketing courses take a year out on placement. I am currently in the process of applying for placements and BU offers students loads of support. (It also really helps that BU has a great reputation with industry!!) Bournemouth offers loads of opportunities for students to broaden their horizons and gain more experience, for instance all Marketing students are offered the option to study for an additional CIM (chartered institute of marketing) certificate - which employers love! Each month several masterclasses and guest lectures are held, I have attended a Channel 4 Marketing workshop and we recently had a product developer from Facebook come to talk to us (he came all the way from America!!) These are really interesting and also look great on CVs. There's also the opportunity to get involved with marketing work for the uni, I am on the promotions team for the Student Union and have also done some telemarketing and social media marketing for the uni!

In terms of nightlife there are loads of clubs and bars in Bournemouth there is something for everyone (one even hosts a reggae night!). There is a student night just about every night (not sundays though) where you can get cheap drinks, and Freshers event run until early october!

Hope this has answered your questions (sorry it's so long) feel free to ask me any other questions if you have them :biggrin:

Good luck with the application!

Thanks!

Reply 3
Hi Chris thanks for the detailed reply, in regards to student accommodation which seems to be the best accommodation for a student who wants to be in the most lively accommodation
Original post by CBowditch
Hi Everyone,

I'm Chris a second year Marketing Communications student here at BU! This is a thread for anybody who is interested in studying Marketing, PR, Advertising or other business or media courses here at BU!

Thanks

Hello Chris.

I am currently on a gap year and looking to study Marketing this year. I have quite a few questions for you.

1. Which universities are best for Marketing?

2. What job role do you think is best for a Marketing graduate?

3. Does this degree include a lot of Maths?

4. Where did you apply for university?

5. What do you think I can do during my gap year to make me more prepared to study Marketing?

6. Which module do you enjoy most?

7. Any tips for someone looking to start university soon to study Marketing?

Hope this wasn't annoying
Reply 5
Original post by okane287
Hi Chris thanks for the detailed reply, in regards to student accommodation which seems to be the best accommodation for a student who wants to be in the most lively accommodation

Hey okane - no worries! Glad to have been helpful! :biggrin:

If you are looking for the most lively accommodation I would recommend any of the halls of residence on the lansdowne. They are all within walking distance of the best clubs, bars and pubs in town, of course you are also really close to the beach, the shopping centres and the gardens - so there;s loads to do in the day as well! In particular I would say Purbeck, Cranborne, Lyme Regis or Dorchester.

Have you visited Bournemouth during an open day? If not I would suggest coming and having a look around! You can find out more about all of the accommodation available for BU student here. Out of those I have recommended Lyme Regis and Dorchester are a little more expensive and are newer than Purbeck and Cranborne. Another big advantage to being in Purbeck and Cranborne is that they are really close to each other and Chesil house! Lyme Regis is a short walk away and Dorchester is about 10 minutes away.

If you are looking for a more lively lifestyle I would avoid the student village and definitely avoid Corfe house - which is based in Poole.

Hope this has helped! Feel free to ask any other questions that you think of! :biggrin:

Thanks

Chris :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by _I_
Hello Chris.

I am currently on a gap year and looking to study Marketing this year. I have quite a few questions for you.

1. Which universities are best for Marketing?

2. What job role do you think is best for a Marketing graduate?

3. Does this degree include a lot of Maths?

4. Where did you apply for university?

5. What do you think I can do during my gap year to make me more prepared to study Marketing?

6. Which module do you enjoy most?

7. Any tips for someone looking to start university soon to study Marketing?

Hope this wasn't annoying

Hi there,

1) Personally I would say Bournemouth University, but this is the only uni that I have been to! :biggrin: A couple of the thing that I like the most about BU is that all students get to do an industrial placement year (getting practical experience is just as important as gaining academic knowledge in my opinion). BU has a great reputation with the industry and the lecturers are great too! Bournemouth's marketing courses are accredited by the CIM. Bournemouth's Marketing Society is great too, I recently got the chance to work with some marketing professionals from Daily Mail and Metro magasine due to winning a marketing society competition.

2) This question is quite subjective, one of the things that I wanted to discover while at uni was which part of marketing I wanted to get involved in, there are loads of aspects to marketing, ranging from consumer psychology to content production, from market research to public relations! At the moment I am leaning towards working in digital marketing. Most marketing jobs are pretty well paid as well which is nice!! :biggrin:

3) The Marketing Communications degree that BU offers does require students to be good with numbers, for instance analysing statistics, financial reports and how economics effects marketing processes. But as a communications degree there is not a lot of maths, as far as I am aware Bournemouth's (BSc) Marketing is a little more maths based - for instance an economics for business law module will be undertaken.

4) I used UCAS, I applied for Bournemouth, Southampton Solent, Winchester, Portsmouth and Bristol, I got offers from all of these unis but I only got the opportunity to visit Bournemouth and Southampton, I was pretty sold on Bournemouth so made that my main choice.

5) To make you more prepared to study marketing I would keep up to date with the news, specifically stories that would have a direct impact on the marketing world, for instance the current conflicts within the Eurozone. You could do some reading as well personally I would recommend any book by Philip Kotler! :biggrin:

6) If I had to pick one module that I enjoyed the most I would probably say Consumer Culture and Behaviour, I am particularly interested in the psychological reasoning behind marketing and this module was the one I did best in too! My group got to present our work in front of industry experts!

7) Personally I would try to get some work experience in marketing, if you already have some you could try and get more in different agencies or businesses. You could build up a portfolio of any marketing work you have done online! Sign up for LinkedIn and try and make some connections within the Marketing industry. You could try setting up a blog, you could discuss news in the marketing industry or current issues in marketing today?

Hope that has been helpful! Sorry that I could'nt be more specific about other marketing courses - but I think that BU offers great marketing courses and really prepares marketing students for the industry!

Feel free to ask me any other questions you have! And good luck with the applications!

Thanks

Hi there,

1) Personally I would say Bournemouth University, but this is the only uni that I have been to! :biggrin: A couple of the thing that I like the most about BU is that all students get to do an industrial placement year (getting practical experience is just as important as gaining academic knowledge in my opinion). BU has a great reputation with the industry and the lecturers are great too! Bournemouth's marketing courses are accredited by the CIM. Bournemouth's Marketing Society is great too, I recently got the chance to work with some marketing professionals from Daily Mail and Metro magasine due to winning a marketing society competition.

2) This question is quite subjective, one of the things that I wanted to discover while at uni was which part of marketing I wanted to get involved in, there are loads of aspects to marketing, ranging from consumer psychology to content production, from market research to public relations! At the moment I am leaning towards working in digital marketing. Most marketing jobs are pretty well paid as well which is nice!! :biggrin:

3) The Marketing Communications degree that BU offers does require students to be good with numbers, for instance analysing statistics, financial reports and how economics effects marketing processes. But as a communications degree there is not a lot of maths, as far as I am aware Bournemouth's (BSc) Marketing is a little more maths based - for instance an economics for business law module will be undertaken.

4) I used UCAS, I applied for Bournemouth, Southampton Solent, Winchester, Portsmouth and Bristol, I got offers from all of these unis but I only got the opportunity to visit Bournemouth and Southampton, I was pretty sold on Bournemouth so made that my main choice.

5) To make you more prepared to study marketing I would keep up to date with the news, specifically stories that would have a direct impact on the marketing world, for instance the current conflicts within the Eurozone. You could do some reading as well personally I would recommend any book by Philip Kotler! :biggrin:

6) If I had to pick one module that I enjoyed the most I would probably say Consumer Culture and Behaviour, I am particularly interested in the psychological reasoning behind marketing and this module was the one I did best in too! My group got to present our work in front of industry experts!

7) Personally I would try to get some work experience in marketing, if you already have some you could try and get more in different agencies or businesses. You could build up a portfolio of any marketing work you have done online! Sign up for LinkedIn and try and make some connections within the Marketing industry. You could try setting up a blog, you could discuss news in the marketing industry or current issues in marketing today?

Hope that has been helpful! Sorry that I could'nt be more specific about other marketing courses - but I think that BU offers great marketing courses and really prepares marketing students for the industry!

Feel free to ask me any other questions you have! And good luck with the applications!

Thanks

Thank you every so much for your help! :innocent:

I am definitely going to consider Bournemouth University now. I'm so glad this course includes a lot of economics, I love economics!

Also, do you think having an industrial placement is beneficial and necessary?
Is there a reasonable amount of financial support available at this university?
Reply 8
Hi Chris
Do you think grades BCD 240 points would be accepted on th BA marketing degree. got A in maths gcse too
Reply 9
Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Hi Chris
Thinking of applying for BA Marketing Comms but grades are BCD but got an A i maths gcse... do you think I have a chance??
Original post by tiny001
Hi Chris
Thinking of applying for BA Marketing Comms but grades are BCD but got an A i maths gcse... do you think I have a chance??

You have 240 UCAS points in total, the required UCAS points for the course is 280-300 but you could be made an offer, although it's not guaranteed. They do actually reduce the UCAS points to around 240/260ish..

Bournemouth Uni look at individual applications and make a tailored offer based on your potential to succeed on the course considering a range of factors, including your academic achievements, work and other experience, predicted grades, reference and personal statement, and in some cases, your performance at an interview/selection test.
Reply 11
Original post by tiny001
Hi Chris
Do you think grades BCD 240 points would be accepted on th BA marketing degree. got A in maths gcse too

Original post by tiny001
Hi Chris

Hello Tiny,

Really sorry that I hadn't replied sooner!

The BSc Marketing degree asks that students have achieved from 300-320 UCAS points, meanwhile the BA Marketing Communications degree requires from 280-300. Like the previous poster said the university carefully looks at the applications and you could get a lower offer. The Marketing Communications degree does not interview (I am not entirely sure if the Marketing degree does) so the course leaders' best chance to get to know you is through your personal statement, so make sure this is really good and get loads of people to check through and recommend changes. Your personal statement would be an excellent place to mention your excellent understanding of maths and if you have any relevant work experience I would bring that up too.

I hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best of luck with A levels and your applications!

Thanks

Reply 12
Hi,

We are local business in Bournemouth, and we are looking for students studying marketing to help us with marketing materials.
Please advise a correct way to find a student interested in part time job. It is not too much, just couple of hours per week, but anyway additional money will never be superfluous.

Thanks in advance
Sergey
Reply 13
Original post by finoak
Hi,

We are local business in Bournemouth, and we are looking for students studying marketing to help us with marketing materials.
Please advise a correct way to find a student interested in part time job. It is not too much, just couple of hours per week, but anyway additional money will never be superfluous.

Thanks in advance
Sergey

Hello,

Best thing to do would be to contact the university - details can be found on the website.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending