The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tiggyrocs
Hi,

I emailed them to ask about this because I found it pretty confusing too! They've now reformatted the q so it is just about why you want to work in local government :smile:

Oh mannn I answered it before it got reformatted and just tried to be as concise as I could. I just really hope when they read through my answer, it is headed with the question in the old format, so that it doesn't look like I went off track. That is SO annoying.

Anyway just practising for the verbal reasoning test now, it seems a lot easier than Civil Service Fast Stream. Does anyone know how competitive this one is, applicants to roles?
Reply 21
Original post by Nightwing_
These cut-e tests look rock solid. Wonder why they have gone with such a difficult format this year, must want to sift out a greater proportion maybe. Not sure about the verbal, but it looks like for the numerical it will be 36 questions in 12 minutes!!!! That's only 20s a question, not to mention that information could be on one of six pages so you've got to find the right info first too!!! Apparently These tests are distinctively different from other numerical tests in question types and style.

EDIT: Ok verbal may be even worse, there is more information to actually read, so takes longer than just looking at a graph, there is also apparently 40 questions to answer in 12 minutes. This seems crazy!! Maybe you're actually expected to do really badly and the pass rate is really low???

They do say that most people don't finish all the questions in the time, so I think you can still do well without finishing. I guess it's to look at your time management as much as anything. Someone who answers 40 questions and makes a lot of mistakes will do worse than someone who answers 30 questions well.
Original post by abc:)
Oh mannn I answered it before it got reformatted and just tried to be as concise as I could. I just really hope when they read through my answer, it is headed with the question in the old format, so that it doesn't look like I went off track. That is SO annoying.

Anyway just practising for the verbal reasoning test now, it seems a lot easier than Civil Service Fast Stream. Does anyone know how competitive this one is, applicants to roles?

I'm not sure, but it is constantly referred to as very competitive, so I'm imagining lots of applicants!
Reply 23
I'm not sure, but it is constantly referred to as very competitive, so I'm imagining lots of applicants!

Well, I just did the practice verbal reasoning and got 2/6, groan! Room for improvement I think lol
Yep, 2/6 here too, didn't even think I had done THAT badly, I answered all the questions. Annoying thing is don't know how to improve either as the test format is so different to all other practice tests :frown:
Reply 25
Yep, 2/6 here too, didn't even think I had done THAT badly, I answered all the questions. Annoying thing is don't know how to improve either as the test format is so different to all other practice tests :frown:

Yeah, I was sort of confused because all of the answers seemed relatively straight forward! Very odd... I've half-forgotten the questions though so I'll go back and do it one more time before attempting the real one :/
Have done two of these tests now, they are literally the hardest of any others I've done. Numeracy tends to be my strong point and it was so hard! There is so much time pressure on you, you can't really help but rush it, I know it should be fine to leave a few answers, but if you were going to give enough time to these questions that you get given in other tests you wouldn't be able to fill in half the questions. I rushed and there were still quite a few unanswered by the end :frown:.

Sorry don't want to come across too negative, or put the fear in people, just think it is worth being prepared. I don't think any other practice tests out there prepare you for this style. Am dreading the verbal, if my strong subject was this hard what is my weaker one going to be like?!!!!!

SJ wasn't as noticeably harder but was completely different to other schemes.
Jeez, was just about to start the verbal assessment, there is 12 minutes to answer 49 questions. That is less than 15 seconds a question!!!!!

EDIT: Have sat it now. Truly awful :frown:. Again sorry to put a downer on it!!! Hope everyone else does ok at them, maybe I'm just not suited to these particular tests, bit annoying as I usually seem to do pretty well at the more conventional ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
I got about 25 of the questions completed. They say you are not supposed to get them all done in the time. I felt rushed. There wasn't time to check answers at all.

Edit: A similar no of questions answered for the maths test. Felt rushed again.
(edited 8 years ago)
I kind of wish I had taken my time more, I tried to rush through them to get as many done as I could, probably got about 40 answered, but towards the end I was pretty much guessing! I think if you answered 25, but answered them well (more or less) it was probably a better approach than mine!!
I kind of wish I had taken my time more, I tried to rush through them to get as many done as I could, probably got about 40 answered, but towards the end I was pretty much guessing! I think if you answered 25, but answered them well (more or less) it was probably a better approach than mine!!

Who knows how they mark it? I just hope to get through all the crude filter mechanisms and get to an assessment centre where I can actually make a pitch as to what I could bring to a council.
They said not to guess, and given the number of questions it would seem logical that you get marks deducted for a wrong answer. But they didn't make that totally clear, so who knows.

Just did numerical, managed to answer about 25-30 of them out of the 37. Quite pleased with how many I did in that time but who knows if its good enough. Gonna do verbal soon which will almost certainly be worse..
Original post by Bulbasaur
They said not to guess, and given the number of questions it would seem logical that you get marks deducted for a wrong answer. But they didn't make that totally clear, so who knows.

Just did numerical, managed to answer about 25-30 of them out of the 37. Quite pleased with how many I did in that time but who knows if its good enough. Gonna do verbal soon which will almost certainly be worse..

That's pretty impressive, i got nowhere near completing that many, and then my stupid vocabulary failed me and I couldn't remember what "proceeds" meant so I skipped two. Ironic, really, that I never had any language problems during the verbal reasoning but during the numerical test my brain suddenly dies - to be fair not a word I could commonly use.

But yeah I did all of mine today and I feel that they were all a complete catastrophe, ridiculous. The passing grade must be unbelievably low, or so I hope at least :biggrin:
Original post by Marwin123
That's pretty impressive, i got nowhere near completing that many, and then my stupid vocabulary failed me and I couldn't remember what "proceeds" meant so I skipped two. Ironic, really, that I never had any language problems during the verbal reasoning but during the numerical test my brain suddenly dies - to be fair not a word I could commonly use.

But yeah I did all of mine today and I feel that they were all a complete catastrophe, ridiculous. The passing grade must be unbelievably low, or so I hope at least :biggrin:

I know what you mean, you have to rush so much that things just don't make sense. I can actually understand completely why the word 'proceeds' is confusing - instinctively, we (or at least I) think of it as a verb, not a noun, so it can lead to confusion when you have to rush so much. I think the tests are quite badly designed to be honest, and I don't think anyone completes them feeling good about it. My verbal wasn't great at all. Ah well, just gotta wait and see. Best of luck :smile:
I know what you mean, you have to rush so much that things just don't make sense. I can actually understand completely why the word 'proceeds' is confusing - instinctively, we (or at least I) think of it as a verb, not a noun, so it can lead to confusion when you have to rush so much. I think the tests are quite badly designed to be honest, and I don't think anyone completes them feeling good about it. My verbal wasn't great at all. Ah well, just gotta wait and see. Best of luck :smile:

Yeah, the only thing I had in my mind was proceeds as the verb, but oh well, it's just a few questions. I'm not a native speaker so I won't always know every word, it was just an inconvenient moment for my English to fail me :biggrin:

I agree, I was pretty disappointed in them, I guess SJT was probably a reasonable measurement (or at least as reasonable as other situational judgement tests), but I don't feel the other 2 gave an accurate idea of my numerical and verbal skills.
How did you guys do that SJT? Did you give 6 points very often? In retrospective I feel that I should have been stronger in my answers instead of spreading my points over the three options in many questions.
How did you guys do that SJT? Did you give 6 points very often? In retrospective I feel that I should have been stronger in my answers instead of spreading my points over the three options in many questions.

I usually spread them between 2 (usually in the weighting 4-2, but a couple of times did 5-1 and 3-3), sometimes going for all 6 in 1. I have no idea what the correct way of doing it was, just total guesswork!
I usually spread them between 2 (usually in the weighting 4-2, but a couple of times did 5-1 and 3-3), sometimes going for all 6 in 1. I have no idea what the correct way of doing it was, just total guesswork!

Yeah, that's about what I did. I found it a weird approach - I prefer them to ask to order them by best approach first, then second best etc.... because from how the instructions were phrased, the points actually expressed how likely we consider an option to be the best option, rather than a ranking.

It seems that we will get results rather quickly though, as the video interviews are supposed to be at the end of January. That's positive at least!

Yeah, that's about what I did. I found it a weird approach - I prefer them to ask to order them by best approach first, then second best etc.... because from how the instructions were phrased, the points actually expressed how likely we consider an option to be the best option, rather than a ranking.

It seems that we will get results rather quickly though, as the video interviews are supposed to be at the end of January. That's positive at least!

Yep answered them very similarly to this, don't think I put 3-3 very often, but it is a few weeks since I did it now.

I think in the email they sent out earlier today they mentioned that results should be sent out by the end of January, so it might be possible the video interviews could be pushed back a little, though that is pretty much complete speculation. Either way there probably won't be much time in the way of preparation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending