Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law: Nottingham or Durham watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Torn between Durham and Nottingham university to study law at starting September 2016
    Any advice/opinions?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellejennifer)
    Torn between Durham and Nottingham university to study law at starting September 2016
    Any advice/opinions?
    Thanks
    I don't know anything about Durham but I did my law degree at Nottingham. It's mostly taught well with the odd bad lecturer/module. Lots of flexibility with optional modules in second and third year with the option to do non-law modules as well. Great opportunities for study abroad if you're keen. Like Durham, it's a very well respected law school.

HOWEVER, they are demanding with workload, strict markers (so much that many graduate recruiters at law firms have said they know how harsh the course is at Nottingham) and you will inevitably have more work to do than any of your non-law friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    generally seen to be equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp93)
    I don't know anything about Durham but I did my law degree at Nottingham. It's mostly taught well with the odd bad lecturer/module. Lots of flexibility with optional modules in second and third year with the option to do non-law modules as well. Great opportunities for study abroad if you're keen. Like Durham, it's a very well respected law school.

HOWEVER, they are demanding with workload, strict markers (so much that many graduate recruiters at law firms have said they know how harsh the course is at Nottingham) and you will inevitably have more work to do than any of your non-law friend

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to know. Thank you. Was the extra curricular, student union and nightlife side of things good at Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    Any advice/opinions?
    Thanks
    I think Durham would be much more reputable for its law course in terms of its ranking, but Nottingham is equally as good. In terms of city life, I would probably choose Nottingham over Durham, but as others have stated, Nottingham is known for its strict marking.

ReputationRep:
    Good to know. Thank you. Was the extra curricular, student union and nightlife side of things good at Nottingham?
    Yeah extremely - it's a very social uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_gravity)
    I think Durham would be much more reputable for its law course in terms of its ranking, but Nottingham is equally as good. In terms of city life, I would probably choose Nottingham over Durham, but as others have stated, Nottingham is known for its strict marking.
    Rankings don't mean much as they change every year, but Nottingham was ranked 5th this year behind oxbridge, UCL and LSE. If you want to look at rankings look for a uni that consistently has stayed in the top 10 so in that respect Nottingham and Durham are fairly similar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go for more Nottingham, more recognised than Durham (even overseas)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp93)
    Rankings don't mean much as they change every year, but Nottingham was ranked 5th this year behind oxbridge, UCL and LSE. If you want to look at rankings look for a uni that consistently has stayed in the top 10 so in that respect Nottingham and Durham are fairly similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I mentioned in my comment that Nottingham is equally as good, despite the rankings.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice/opinions?
    Thanks
    Do you know what type of law you want to study? Take a look at the course offerings. I, for example, prefer the course offerings at Durham over those at Nottingham, but that's because I have an interest in public law and constitutional law; something which Nottingham doesn't offer very much of.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.