The Student Room Group

antidepressant CITALOPRAM this **** is messed up

couldn't even sleep when will it wear off? i just feel insane. wheen.never again, id rather be depressed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
couldn't even sleep when will it wear off? i just feel insane. wheen.never again, id rather be depressed

See your GP soon as pos...
Reply 2
Original post by hellodave5
See your GP soon as pos...

no way, theyre just obsessed with ****ty drugs seriously somethings wrong with those people!
no way, theyre just obsessed with ****ty drugs seriously somethings wrong with those people!

Drugs can help a lot, but really should be given alongside psychological therapy.
Try a different SSRI or even class of drug, and ask about therapy.
They are the best people to help you. Tell them you don't want drugs if that is how you feel.
Reply 4
Drugs can help a lot, but really should be given alongside psychological therapy.
Try a different SSRI or even class of drug, and ask about therapy.
They are the best people to help you. Tell them you don't want drugs if that is how you feel.

i dont want them. how many days it takes for them to wear off? i feel like mpart of my brain was destroyed
i dont want them. how many days it takes for them to wear off? i feel like mpart of my brain was destroyed

They take a while I think.
I'm no doc but if they are something you have been on for a while I would see your GP about stopping them, as you may have to do it gradually, as you may get some nasty withdrawal effects if you go cold turkey.
Reply 6
They take a while I think.
I'm no doc but if they are something you have been on for a while I would see your GP about stopping them, as you may have to do it gradually, as you may get some nasty withdrawal effects if you go cold turkey.

ive only been taking them for 2 days or so,it gets realy bad in the evening

first week or so I was on citalopram was messed up too. Since then I've had no issues for 2 years. The side effects should only last a couple of weeks at most and in a couple of months you should be noticing benefits.

I get that you don't like drugs (I was really reluctant too and I am desprately trying to avoid going back to them) but in some cases they really are a good option. Are you getting therapy too? The main reason for meds is to smooth you out enough to respond better to therapy. You shouldn't be on them without therapy unless you are chronic and even then you should have some level of monitoring.

try to hold it out and stay on them, but if you absolutely must come off them be honest with your doctor. Tell them you aren't taking them because you don't want to be on meds and didn't like the side effects. If they are not respectful of your choice ask to see a different doctor.
Reply 8
Original post by BubbleMonkey
first week or so I was on citalopram was messed up too. Since then I've had no issues for 2 years. The side effects should only last a couple of weeks at most and in a couple of months you should be noticing benefits.

I get that you don't like drugs (I was really reluctant too and I am desprately trying to avoid going back to them) but in some cases they really are a good option. Are you getting therapy too? The main reason for meds is to smooth you out enough to respond better to therapy. You shouldn't be on them without therapy unless you are chronic and even then you should have some level of monitoring.

try to hold it out and stay on them, but if you absolutely must come off them be honest with your doctor. Tell them you aren't taking them because you don't want to be on meds and didn't like the side effects. If they are not respectful of your choice ask to see a different doctor.

2 years? should you still be on them? im not getting therapy.

Drugs like this ie SSRI drugs don't work for everybody! Some respond very well and get pleasant benefits form the drug. Others suffer horrible side effects.

SSRIs can actually make depression worse and lead to suicidal thoughts.:frown:

Imagine a painkiller that actually makes pain worse in some people? Or an anti cancer drug that increases the spread of cancer? Sounds crazy and such drugs would be taken off the market, but yet SSRIs can make worse the conditions they're supposed cure and that's allowed!

These anti depressant drugs are occasionally used for OCD, anxiety, PTSD ADHD etc.

Problem is these drugs being used in mental lack the funding that is givern over to drugs for physical conditions like cancer. Mental health is heavily discriminated against by society and government, and very little funding is used for therapy and research.

That therefore leaves mental health sufferers with a choice between highly addictive and potentially dangerous benzodiazepines or ineffective SSRIs like Citralopram.

With better funding we could have more effective taylor made therapy to suit individual patients and better drugs that are safe, have no nasty side effects and actually speed up recovery. At present mental health suffers a lot if discrimination.
Original post by BubbleMonkey

I totally agree therapy is far better than drugs and certainly must be combined if drugs are taken alone.
However some doctors and CBT therapists are divided. My friends GP said there is no magic drug for anxiety and PTSD and that therapy alone is the best way forward. Others place high importance on drugs but they don't work for everyone.
Some CBT therapist however claim that drugs lead to safety behavior.

Now the doctors know you have mental health issues you will NEVER receive good health care again. I was on Citalopram. Now every single time I go to the doctors for any problem they tell me it's a "symptom of anxiety" or "a symptom of depression" and send me on my way.

I fainted in my house and they told me it must be an anxiety attack and recommended anxiety meds. I get dizzy after exercise sometimes. No concerns I raise are taken seriously, just dismissed as anxiety. I could drop dead, be brought into the doctor's office in a coffin and they'd say it's a symptom of anxiety and throw meds in with me.

Lmao. Your days of doctors taking you seriously are OVER.

P.S. Citalopram doesn't do anything. It's about as effective as homeopathy.
What mg dosage are you on?
Original post by Ambitious1999
Drugs like this ie SSRI drugs don't work for everybody! Some respond very well and get pleasant benefits form the drug. Others suffer horrible side effects.

SSRIs can actually make depression worse and lead to suicidal thoughts.:frown:

Imagine a painkiller that actually makes pain worse in some people? Or an anti cancer drug that increases the spread of cancer? Sounds crazy and such drugs would be taken off the market, but yet SSRIs can make worse the conditions they're supposed cure and that's allowed!

These anti depressant drugs are occasionally used for OCD, anxiety, PTSD ADHD etc.

Problem is these drugs being used in mental lack the funding that is givern over to drugs for physical conditions like cancer. Mental health is heavily discriminated against by society and government, and very little funding is used for therapy and research.

That therefore leaves mental health sufferers with a choice between highly addictive and potentially dangerous benzodiazepines or ineffective SSRIs like Citralopram.

With better funding we could have more effective taylor made therapy to suit individual patients and better drugs that are safe, have no nasty side effects and actually speed up recovery. At present mental health suffers a lot if discrimination.

yeah I think that they really don't work for me

Original post by Ambitious1999
I totally agree therapy is far better than drugs and certainly must be combined if drugs are taken alone.
However some doctors and CBT therapists are divided. My friends GP said there is no magic drug for anxiety and PTSD and that therapy alone is the best way forward. Others place high importance on drugs but they don't work for everyone.
Some CBT therapist however claim that drugs lead to safety behavior.

Original post by ThePrick
Now the doctors know you have mental health issues you will NEVER receive good health care again. I was on Citalopram. Now every single time I go to the doctors for any problem they tell me it's a "symptom of anxiety" or "a symptom of depression" and send me on my way.

I fainted in my house and they told me it must be an anxiety attack and recommended anxiety meds. I get dizzy after exercise sometimes. No concerns I raise are taken seriously, just dismissed as anxiety. I could drop dead, be brought into the doctor's office in a coffin and they'd say it's a symptom of anxiety and throw meds in with me.

Lmao. Your days of doctors taking you seriously are OVER.

P.S. Citalopram doesn't do anything. It's about as effective as homeopathy.

they never took me seriously to begin with. i had to beg them for blood tests and ecg in the past. : (

Original post by Piledriver
What mg dosage are you on?

Only 10mg but I'm really skinny. I was also prescribed a mood stabiliser for suspectd bipolar, to take along with antidepressant but im not really bipolar so just taking the antidepressant.

Usually side effects wear off after a few weeks. If not there are loads of different medications that can work. There is also therapy, but I can see from one of your posts below that you don't want that. If you want to treat mental illness beyond medication and therapy, there are lifestyle changes, self help, mindfulness. Can I ask why you don't want medication or therapy?
Original post by bullettheory
Usually side effects wear off after a few weeks. If not there are loads of different medications that can work. There is also therapy, but I can see from one of your posts below that you don't want that. If you want to treat mental illness beyond medication and therapy, there are lifestyle changes, self help, mindfulness. Can I ask why you don't want medication or therapy?

because this medication, let me tell you this its some trippy mind wrecking brain destroying ****, its absolutely insane. therapy - theres no way i can change my thought patterns.
Reply 16
OP what has your psychiatrist said to you? If you have bipolar then surely you have a CPN or a care coordinator? Have you spoken to them about it??
Original post by DrID
OP what has your psychiatrist said to you? If you have bipolar then surely you have a CPN or a care coordinator? Have you spoken to them about it??

like i said, i was misdiagnosed with bipolar. i dont actually have, they just dont understand my personality. im not talking to any health carepfrofessionals ever again.
2 years? should you still be on them? im not getting therapy.

Are you at university by any chance? If so, your university will have a counselling team who can help you for free (and their waiting times are much shorter than the NHS).

You've got nothing to lose by at least trying counselling.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Are you at university by any chance? If so, your university will have a counselling team who can help you for free (and their waiting times are much shorter than the NHS).

You've got nothing to lose by at least trying counselling.

not anymore, graduated already

Quick Reply

Latest