Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got some important exams soon as i'm in year 11 but i haven't got a particular method of revising could anyone recommend any technique I can try? I've tried reading and mind maps but the information doesn't seem to stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyspuddie)
    I've got some important exams soon as i'm in year 11 but i haven't got a particular method of revising could anyone recommend any technique I can try? I've tried reading and mind maps but the information doesn't seem to stick.
    Hi, here are some techniques I used and found helpful when doing my A Levels:

1) Get a copy of the specification for each subject, so that you can focus your revision and tick off each topic as you revise it.

2) Find a way to set out what you need to revise that will help you remember the information. I personally found that mind-maps didn't help me learn at all. Instead, I typed up all of my class notes and used any revision books/textbooks to supplement my class notes. I made separate Word documents for each topic, and saved my notes in separate folders under the relevant subject, for example ICT, Geography etc. I found typing up my notes helpful because 1) I can type quickly so it was less time-consuming than hand-writing them, and 2) I could keep all of my notes in one place (i.e. in a folder on my laptop), so when I came to revise, I didn't have to search through lots of paper files and folders trying to find the information I wanted.

3) As my exams approached, I began to revise using revision timetables. There are a couple of timetable styles you can try. The first one is allocating topics to revise during certain times. For example, your timetable could be like: 11am-11.45am revise topic a, 11.45am-12pm take a break, 12pm-12.45pm revise topic b, 12.45pm-1pm take a break, and so on (using different time frames if you prefer). Alternatively, you can allocate topics to revise to certain days, rather than times. For example, Monday - revise topics a, b and c, Tuesday - revise topic d, e, f and g, and so on. I personally used this method, as I found it less stressful.

Also, a general tip is to make sure you understand everything you've covered in class before you move on to the next topic. You can do this by taking time at the weekend going over what you've learned in class, and identifying any topics you don't understand. Then you can ask your teacher for help before you get too far behind. This will make revision much easier later on, so don't forget to ask/avoid asking for help if you need it.

I hope you find a revision method that works for you soon, and good luck with your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi, here are some techniques I used and found helpful when doing my A Levels:

1) Get a copy of the specification for each subject, so that you can focus your revision and tick off each topic as you revise it.

2) Find a way to set out what you need to revise that will help you remember the information. I personally found that mind-maps didn't help me learn at all. Instead, I typed up all of my class notes and used any revision books/textbooks to supplement my class notes. I made separate Word documents for each topic, and saved my notes in separate folders under the relevant subject, for example ICT, Geography etc. I found typing up my notes helpful because 1) I can type quickly so it was less time-consuming than hand-writing them, and 2) I could keep all of my notes in one place (i.e. in a folder on my laptop), so when I came to revise, I didn't have to search through lots of paper files and folders trying to find the information I wanted.

3) As my exams approached, I began to revise using revision timetables. There are a couple of timetable styles you can try. The first one is allocating topics to revise during certain times. For example, your timetable could be like: 11am-11.45am revise topic a, 11.45am-12pm take a break, 12pm-12.45pm revise topic b, 12.45pm-1pm take a break, and so on (using different time frames if you prefer). Alternatively, you can allocate topics to revise to certain days, rather than times. For example, Monday - revise topics a, b and c, Tuesday - revise topic d, e, f and g, and so on. I personally used this method, as I found it less stressful.

Also, a general tip is to make sure you understand everything you've covered in class before you move on to the next topic. You can do this by taking time at the weekend going over what you've learned in class, and identifying any topics you don't understand. Then you can ask your teacher for help before you get too far behind. This will make revision much easier later on, so don't forget to ask/avoid asking for help if you need it.

I hope you find a revision method that works for you soon, and good luck with your exams
    Thank you very much i will take on your advice i think from reading what you suggesting this will be a good method for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyspuddie)
    Thank you very much i will take on your advice i think from reading what you suggesting this will be a good method for me
    ive just begun printing off the specifications

ReputationRep:
    where can i find edexcel gcse science specification? I think i found it but I don't know if its right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    where can i find edexcel gcse science specification? I think i found it but I don't know if its right
    i don't know as i'm using OCR not edexcel

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.