Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Open University after dropping out watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Hopefully a fairly simple question for one of you experts!

I am looking to start a part time Open University degree. This would take 6 years as I'd be completing 60 credits per year.

The complication is that I have previously, about 7 years ago, used two year of funding through student finance.

I understand that if I were to take another 3-year full time course I would have : 3 years base funding, plus 1 'extra' year, minus the 2 years I have already taken. This would mean I'd have to pay the first year myself and then could get funding for the next two years.

My question is would this still be the case if I'm taking this part time Open University 6 year course? Ie I could have funding for the last 5 years and would just have to pay for the first year myself?

I hope this makes sense, and sorry if it's been asked before - I tried to search for my scenario but had no luck.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hornets89)
    Hi all,

Hopefully a fairly simple question for one of you experts!

I am looking to start a part time Open University degree. This would take 6 years as I'd be completing 60 credits per year.

The complication is that I have previously, about 7 years ago, used two year of funding through student finance.

I understand that if I were to take another 3-year full time course I would have : 3 years base funding, plus 1 'extra' year, minus the 2 years I have already taken. This would mean I'd have to pay the first year myself and then could get funding for the next two years.

My question is would this still be the case if I'm taking this part time Open University 6 year course? Ie I could have funding for the last 5 years and would just have to pay for the first year myself?

I hope this makes sense, and sorry if it's been asked before - I tried to search for my scenario but had no luck.
    I think you can do the 6 year degree and get funding, yes. Obviously you need to phone them to be sure. Out of interest, why aren't you transferring your 7-year old uni credits into the OU?

ReputationRep:
    I've just started a full time degree with OU after a previous year at a university. I rang up the OU as I wasn't certain if I could get the funding, they told me I would be able to do a 6 year course if I were to do it part time (obviously I opted for full time so it should take me only 3 possibly 4 years) but their policy may have changed. So it's definitely worth giving them a ring, they may also tell you to contact Student Finance England as they're the one's giving you the loan. Good luck, the OU so far has been brilliant! :-)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by rhythmpantherxo)
    I've just started a full time degree with OU after a previous year at a university. I rang up the OU as I wasn't certain if I could get the funding, they told me I would be able to do a 6 year course if I were to do it part time (obviously I opted for full time so it should take me only 3 possibly 4 years) but their policy may have changed. So it's definitely worth giving them a ring, they may also tell you to contact Student Finance England as they're the one's giving you the loan. Good luck, the OU so far has been brilliant! :-)
    All OU courses are classified as part-time, even if you do 120 credits a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    All OU courses are classified as part-time, even if you do 120 credits a year.
    They're classified as part time on student finance yes, but OU class 120 credits as full time learning.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.