Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Gutter Press watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Contrast and compare

"Jeremy Corbyn stays behind after Remembrance Sunday ceremony to applaud WWII veterans"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6726591.html

Spin, spin, spin, spin, spin. :eek3:

Whilst it doesn't actually matter, the rest of them had ****ed off somewhere else whilst Corbyn stayed behind to talk to the veterans like an actual person. Why don;t you spin that Sun? Cameron Snubs War Heroes!

ReputationRep:
    Abby Clancy pic is a bit small; some Marxist is taking up all the space.
    Disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do find the sensationalist and hyperbolic nature of the reporting of Corbyn at the ceremony to be distasteful and unnecessary. There's no need for it as he makes himself look bad enough on a regular basis so there's no need to resort to that nonsense.

The stories say he didn't bow his head but who knows? It doesn't sound plausible to me as not even Corbyn could be that bad and he didn't wear the white poppy so that's a plus. I will also say that there are times for sensationalising things and rememberence Sunday isn't one of them. Even if he didn't bow, Corbyn isn't the story on this day.

Poor form from The Sun.

ReputationRep:
    How does the Sun show respect for fallen veterans?

That's right, they bribe public officials to leak dead soldiers private detail for their own personal gain.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/440...ers-at-The-Sun

Gutter Press.

Despicable. Have they no respect for the dead?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Corbyn should learn from the master.

There he is, showing the utmost respect, to our allies and human rights buddies on the UN... the Saudi regime. I'm sure soldiers and civilians alike who laid down there lives fighting the Nazis did so so that we may help Islamofascists murder their own population.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-international

(Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Abby Clancy pic is a bit small; some Marxist is taking up all the space.
    Disgraceful.
    That's about as near to admitting the Sun was acting dishonestly and immorally as we are going to get isn't it?
    Still in the form a Corbyn attack, wouldn't want you to have a malfunction now would we?

ReputationRep:
    There's no agenda though remember! We're just all paranoid and Murdoch and the rest of the right wing press are not trying to influence us!

😂😂😂
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I suppose the only redeeming thing about this shambolic behaviour from the press is that it proves they must have exhausted all genuine means of trying to smear Corbyn if they're stooping down to this level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    There's no agenda though remember! We're just all paranoid and Murdoch and the rest of the right wing press are not trying to influence us!

😂😂😂
    This has spectacularly backfired. Read the comments on the Daily Mail website. They almost all begin "I do not like Corbyn but..." Charles Moore at the Telegraph who wrote the original piece about Michael Foot's donkey jacket has also pitched in behind Corbyn.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Yeah I do find the sensationalist and hyperbolic nature of the reporting of Corbyn at the ceremony to be distasteful and unnecessary. There's no need for it as he makes himself look bad enough on a regular basis so there's no need to resort to that nonsense.

The stories say he didn't bow his head but who knows? It doesn't sound plausible to me as not even Corbyn could be that bad and he didn't wear the white poppy so that's a plus. I will also say that there are times for sensationalising things and rememberence Sunday isn't one of them. Even if he didn't bow, Corbyn isn't the story on this day.

Poor form from The Sun.
    hey i was watching the ceremony yesterday and in the footage he did bow slightly but it was more like a tip of the head thing like a praying pose, whereas cameron flopped over from the middle rather than the neck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    This has spectacularly backfired. Read the comments on the Daily Mail website. They almost all begin "I do not like Corbyn but..." Charles Moore at the Telegraph who wrote the original piece about Michael Foot's donkey jacket has also pitched in behind Corbyn.
    Proof if ever there was that very wealthy individuals use the media for their own interests and distort the truth to push their own agendas.
    As much as I disagree with the Telegraph and Times, at least they are broadsheets and generally backed up (even if they too resort to sensationalism).

But the fact is Corbyn did actually bow, and now they're making a front-page story over Corbyn not bowing low enough. You couldn't make it up.

Our media is appalling.

ReputationRep:
    This smear attempt on Corbyn is probably the most pathetic I've seen so far. A total non story manufactured into a "scandal". The people trying to use remembrance sunday for political point scoring are the ones being disrespectful here, not Corbyn.

There was something similar fairly recently, about him not singing the national anthem at a battle of Britain memorial service.

I have some pretty big issues with Corbyn, but so far I haven't been very impressed with his opponents either.

ReputationRep:
    So Cameron makes 30,000 members of the armed forces redundant, cuts their budget. The Sun sell private details of dead soldiers for money yet it's corbyn who 'hates Britain'?

Pathetic by the right wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    This has spectacularly backfired.
    It always spectacularly backfires. During the 2015 election the country fool was Nigel Farage. It didn't matter what the press said about him, he still came away from the election with 4 million votes. It is only our archaic electoral system that saw him get only one seat.

"Corbyn could never win the leadership" they said. How wrong. And now we have smear after smear trying to demonise him. The problem the press don't seem to understand is that

a) The British public love a plucky underdog, be that Farage or Corbyn
    b) Both speak in a rather unconventional way that winds up the establishment (press) but resonate with a great deal of voters one way or the other.

Watch this space, but my money is on the likes of Farage and Corbyn to be the movers and shakers at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    Richard Dawkins chimes in with his views, as always they are deeply sensitive and careful.

Richard Dawkins branded the Sun “disgusting” on Monday, while suggesting those who buy it “can barely read at all”. :rofl:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...n_8510234.html

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.