Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Honest Opinions on Tony Blair. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do your best/worst! Personally quite like him...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Managed to win elections even after the cluster**** of Iraq, so he clearly had something going for him. I don't really know a great deal about what he did in office, other than his spats with Brown and his foreign policy. He did the right thing in Sierra Leone and Afghanistan I don't really have much of an opinion on him, Iraq may have been a mistake but his reputation makes him out to be some sort of tyrant, which is clearly unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Hate him. Not so say I can't acknowledge his own form of charisma, or his cunning, but I think he was a meglomaniacal, conniving, destructive force that has taken a sledgehammer to Britain.
    He also has an incredibly fake manner which I hate.

ReputationRep:
    Dislike him, he abandoned an unnecessary amount of labour policies, wanted to join the euro and filled the PLP with blairites some of whom are more right wing than him.

ReputationRep:
    He's a great man, we were incredibly lucky to get Thatcher-Major-Blair all in 28 years. He brought the market into the NHS and Education to some degree, he oversaw falling crime and he crushed some tyrants (people forget Kosovo and Sierra Lionne where intervention worked out for the best).

He did have bad points though, namely his pandering to the equality brigade and his lack of resolve when it came to sacking Brown who largely kept control of the treasury separate.

On the whole though he was like many leaders a product of circumstance. The people wanted a continuation of the Thatcherite consensus with a kinder approach and that's largely what they got.

If Blair did have left wing instincts then he missed his opportunity to cash in after the 01 election.

ReputationRep:
    Solid politician , and wanted to get rid of the right people and was not liberal. I think liberalism was over rated.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like Blair all in all. I rate him highly as a politician and his ability to continuously get elected allowed his party to implement many things they wanted. For example, you're not going to get that minimum wage in from the opposition bench. In this regard the modern Labour Party could learn a lot from him.

As already pointed out, he had foreign policy successes outside of Afghan and Iraq. Plus all this war criminal guff is inaccurate and is reliant upon completely ignoring the definition of war criminal.

Like Thatcher - love or hate them - he was a giant in the arena.

ReputationRep:
    US lap dog.

ReputationRep:
    As a politician, very good. As a person, a ****.

ReputationRep:
    I like him, although the Iraq war was wrong for the problems it's caused now.

Tony Blair modernised Britain after 18 dark years of Tory leadership.
    Being a centrist rather than leftist he united the many and won a huge election victory in 1997.
    Unemployment fell to its lowest levels under labour.
    Labour did NOT cause the great recession in 2008, it was a global problem!
    The late 1990s Blair years were a period of optimism, Cool Britannia, hope and ambition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Managed to win elections even after the cluster**** of Iraq, so he clearly had something going for him. I don't really know a great deal about what he did in office, other than his spats with Brown and his foreign policy. He did the right thing in Sierra Leone and Afghanistan I don't really have much of an opinion on him, Iraq may have been a mistake but his reputation makes him out to be some sort of tyrant, which is clearly unfair.
    He only won 2005 because of the massive swing required for the Conservatives to take many seats. That and also the Lib Dems 'holding' the Conservatives back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    He only won 2005 because of the massive swing required for the Conservatives to take many seats. That and also the Lib Dems 'holding' the Conservatives back.
    He pissed it Easy. Blair got 355 in 2005 Cameron will never get more seats then that unless it is through gerymandering, postal fraud or both

ReputationRep:
    Astonishing successes with social mobility. Unlike the tories he invested hugely into our public services, reduced waiting times in the NHS from 18 months to 18 weeks, lifted millions above the breadline with tax credits, brought in the minimum wage, maternity and paternity leave as made workers contacts more secure.

Working class children having middle class children was the outstanding accomplishment of blairism.

Then he decided to become a bit of a warmongerer.

ReputationRep:
    Very nice hair for a politician.

ReputationRep:
    His domestic policies earlier on were largely positive. He improved public services that the Tories had been running into the ground.

But...
    He was a deceitful, lying warmonger so blinded by his ideological convictions that he threw away the lives of British soldiers in a war that helped create ISIS.

His decision to intervene in a bribery investigation as he didn't want to upset the Saudis shows just how ****ed the guy's moral compass is.

He is the reason why I will never vote for labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    His domestic policies earlier on were largely positive. He improved public services that the Tories had been running into the ground.

But...
    He was a deceitful, lying warmonger so blinded by his ideological convictions that he threw away the lives of British soldiers in a war that helped create ISIS.

His decision to intervene in a bribery investigation as he didn't want to upset the Saudis shows just how ****ed the guy's moral compass is.

He is the reason why I will never vote for labour.
    So who are you going to vote for?

Labour have just elected the most anti Tony Blair leader possible.

If they still can not get your vote after that, what exactly is the point? We have first past the post voting system so it isn't like you can just vote for who you want without certain consequences unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAMADAM27)
    Do your best/worst! Personally quite like him...
    As a conservative I have to say I dislike him, however he did sort out some issues so I have respect for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    So who are you going to vote for?

Labour have just elected the most anti Tony Blair leader possible.

If they still can not get your vote after that, what exactly is the point? We have first past the post voting system so it isn't like you can just vote for who you want without certain consequences unfortunately.
    Green Party, although I don't agree with all their policies. Although voting is nothing but formality here. I live in a Labour strong hold, so I can vote for whoever I want to without any consequences.

ReputationRep:
    Green Party, although I don't agree with all their policies. Although voting is nothing but formality here. I live in a Labour strong hold, so I can vote for whoever I want to without any consequences.
    FPTP :facepalm:

It;s the same for me exept tory.

But if you lived in a Tory/Lab swing seat would you still vote Green with a Lab party where Corbyn is leader?

Caroline Lucas is trying to push a kind of "progressive pact" between parties so as not to contest seats where a splintered left let Tories and UKIP in. We do not live in a electorally progressive enough country to be able to vote for who we want most without side effects.

ReputationRep:
    Wasted vote.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.