Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to ask for advice.

I made the mistake of deciding too late to start a an access to medicine course in October! So now I have to keep an eye out for courses which will start in September 2016 which is fine because now I can use this year to look for experience and entry level work in the medical field. I must emphasise I got a third in law so trying to apply for a graduate program might prove difficult.

While I am looking I am thinking of looking for a healthcare assistant job so while I am putting in my applications this year, I can show I have a genuine interest working in the medical field.

What I would like to study is either dentistry or forensic science. For Forensic science, I know I will have to take a science degree like Bio-Chem.

1. I am not working right now but to healthcare NVQ level 3 I may need to use the 24 plus loan but I'd rather use this to do my access to medicine course - what do I do? ( i will try to look for roles which don't require the NVQ certificate)

2. If I do go on to do the access to medicine course september 2016, would it be realistic to take out a second student finance loan to do a 3year or 5 year degree again? How realistic would this be in September 2017?

3. What would be the best way to gain experience working in dentistry and forensic science before September 2016/17 and without studying in it? Right now I have to wait till September 2016 to do my access to medicine course.

4. Age is also a factor...I am 25 now, getting in dentistry or forensic science will prove lengthy. I will 31 by the time I graduate. Is this a good move, I'll probably be working as a healthcare assistant for the next 5 years (this is perfect as long as the end goal means I am working in the medical profession).

5. Is there anyone who is a mature student currently studying for forensic science or dentistry...how do you fund your course and what is the experience like as a whole.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    With a third, the whole prospect of entering a GEM course becomes infinitesimal. I'm not sure if there are other routes into medicine for someone like you. Do universities accept a second degree in place of the first one? Democracy is really helpful so he might give you some insight. That said your chances don't sound too great but don't take my word for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    With a third, the whole prospect of entering a GEM course becomes infinitesimal. I'm not sure if there are other routes into medicine for someone like you. Do universities accept a second degree in place of the first one? Democracy is really helpful so he might give you some insight. That said your chances don't sound too great but don't take my word for it.

I'm definitely not trying to enter a graduate program. I just want to start again from scratch and hopefully if I'm successful with the access to medicine course, this will help. Thanks for your response.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.