Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am applying for a Master´s course soon and I have carefully selected a few universities with a good reputation, of which I think their courses absolutely fit me. I am just thinking, in case I don´t get accepted by any one of them (which I don´t think) I would like to have a Plan B on hand. Since there are a lot of parameters included it would unnecessarily take too long to explain how I got to those two mentioned above, but I would like to hear your opinion about which one you would choose if this was your only option and maybe also why.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard any universities described as 'nice and decent' before!

Just apply and figure out your options when you know whether your first choice uni accepts you or not.

What course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    I've never heard any universities described as 'nice and decent' before!

Just apply and figure out your options when you know whether your first choice uni accepts you or not.

What course?
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry if that phrase you mentioned sounded a bit weird, English is not my native language Just to clarify what I meant: They are good. They have a high quality in both teaching and research, as well as a good reputation. But as I have made my decision about applying to them already, this post is only about a Plan B, in case I don´t get an offer from them. Answering your question: The subject is Marketing, preferrably International Marketing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lagona)
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry if that phrase you mentioned sounded a bit weird, English is not my native language Just to clarify what I meant: They are good. They have a high quality in both teaching and research, as well as a good reputation. But as I have made my decision about applying to them already, this post is only about a Plan B, in case I don´t get an offer from them. Answering your question: The subject is Marketing, preferrably International Marketing.
    Don't worry, I wasn't criticising

I don't know anything about Oxford Brookes or Regent's reputation for marketing masters courses so I'll leave that for other people to comment on. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I would be careful with Regent's own publicity. I see that it describes itself on its website as "one of the UK's most respected independent universities". Overseas students won't know that there are only four such universities in the UK. Doesn't take much to be one of the most respected out of four (however they're measuring that). Make sure you're looking at sources of info outside the university.

Oxford Brookes has a decent middle ranking reputation within the UK for most subjects, although I can't speak for the brand recognition of either, overseas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I would be careful with Regent's own publicity. I see that it describes itself on its website as "one of the UK's most respected independent universities". Overseas students won't know that there are only four such universities in the UK. Doesn't take much to be one of the most respected out of four (however they're measuring that). Make sure you're looking at sources of info outside the university.

Oxford Brookes has a decent middle ranking reputation within the UK for most subjects, although I can't speak for the brand recognition of either, overseas.
    Thanks for your reply! This is exactly what I thought as well. Regent´s seems to have a bad academic reputation, regardless if this is justified or not. People say things like, it is not a real university (even though technically it is) or it is just a place rich kids go to spend a year abroad and gain a degree. I think this is probably quiet exaggerated, but nevertheless this reputation might cause the degree to be worthless when applying for a job. On the other hand, I know someone who has a Brooke´s degree and she always has to clarify that she didn´t attend "the" Oxford university and people make fun about that. But still, it has a decent position in the rankings and I think it is not as bad as people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lagona)
    Hey guys,

I am applying for a Master´s course soon and I have carefully selected a few universities with a good reputation, of which I think their courses absolutely fit me. I am just thinking, in case I don´t get accepted by any one of them (which I don´t think) I would like to have a Plan B on hand. Since there are a lot of parameters included it would unnecessarily take too long to explain how I got to those two mentioned above, but I would like to hear your opinion about which one you would choose if this was your only option and maybe also why.
    Wouldn't touch Regents with a barge pole. Oxford Brookes is supposed to be one of the better new universities. Lets just hope you don't need plan B then!

ReputationRep:
    Brookes. Never heard of Regent's.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.