Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Income tax watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether or not we need to pay income tax if we are under 18, and working less than 60hours per month, with no more than £300 paid?

ReputationRep:
    By the sound of it, definitely not. It seems as if you do not have the correct tax code. If you're earning less than £10600 annually (on average about £200 a week) you shouldn't be taxed. Your best bet is to call up HMRC and explain to them your situation. I had the same problem and ended up getting my tax code changed to the correct one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jol5775)
    Does anyone know whether or not we need to pay income tax if we are under 18, and working less than 60hours per month, with no more than £300 paid?
    (Original post by goldenshades)
    By the sound of it, definitely not. It seems as if you do not have the correct tax code. If you're earning less than £10300 annually (on average about £200 a week) you shouldn't be taxed. Your best bet is to call up HMRC and explain to them your situation. I had the same problem and ended up getting my tax code changed to the correct one
    Call HMRC but make sure you have a few hours to spend. They are really inefficient! I spent 3 hours on hold when I called them to fix my tax code!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Your age doesn't matter. If you earn under £10600 per year, you don't pay any income tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenshades)
    By the sound of it, definitely not. It seems as if you do not have the correct tax code. If you're earning less than £10600 annually (on average about £200 a week) you shouldn't be taxed. Your best bet is to call up HMRC and explain to them your situation. I had the same problem and ended up getting my tax code changed to the correct one

Thank you. I have tried to call them, and it was like 30minutes waiting so I just hang up. But my last/ also my first ever payslip shows earned £150.00 approx, and I had to pay £30.00 tax?!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I have tried to call them, and it was like 30minutes waiting so I just hang up. But my last/ also my first ever payslip shows earned £150.00 approx, and I had to pay £30.00 tax?!
    I would suggest calling early in the morning; this is the approach I took and I was only on the line for under 30 minutes in total. The only reason I can think for them taxing you is either by default or for emergency tax, which can be claimed back in April 2016. Once HMRC sort out your code, mine and a friend's was changed to 1060L, your employer will be informed of it and you will have the money that was taxed off you returned in your next payslip

ReputationRep:
    what is your tax code?

If you are on an emergency tax code this should in theory rectify itself within a month or two and the money get returned to you in your pay... if it's the wrong tax code you will have to speak to HMRC, I spent hours trying to get through to them, they don't even put you on hold if they're really busy, literally just cut off the phone line... I found that when I chose the option 'make a payment' I got straight through though and it was to the same people

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify. Its definetly tax your paying and not National Insurance right?

Also you may have a temporary tax code. Ensure that the tax code on your payslip is something like : 1060L. If it has I think an M1 or W1 in it then its a temporary tax code and you will be reinbursed once your full tax code it generated.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.