Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First off, I skipped A levels to work abroad and then got a 2:1 BA with the Open Uni. I am now considering doing a masters of some sort either part or full time. Considering my lack of A levels (apart from a German one), is it ridiculous to even entertain the idea that any good UK uni would accept me despite having a 2:1 degree?

Second, if entertaining such an idea wasn't so ridiculous, what kind of masters program do you think would suit considering I have a 2:1 in English lang and lit? I hear a masters in English is a waste of time and money largely and that choosing something more specific is better... but WHAT!?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    You won't necessarily be judged on your A levels. A 2:1 in an English degree demonstrates lots of transferable skills so choose a subject that interests you and apply with a strong personal statement.

I agree that rather than study more English, a masters in another subject could diversify your options.

ReputationRep:
    I would think you should be fine in applying anywhere, just look to check on the website for reqs and if unclear, email the university and I'm sure they will clarify.

Masters is usually a good time to hone in on more specific things that you are interested in. I don't know much about English, but maybe a masters degree in one of the facets you studied at undergrad, or a 'professional training' type course.

ReputationRep:
    A degree from the Open University is regarded just as well as one from a bricks and mortar university, and will easily outweigh the lack of A levels.

As to the actual course - that really comes down to what you want to do in the future. A masters degree isn't quick, easy or cheap. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your replies! It's good to hear some confirmation on the value of what I do have.. it's easy to start doubting.

Yes, whatever I might select it'll be specific. Maybe something social sciences related as one of my OU modules was in that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to say this as an unconditional rule but generally for post-grad they're only concern grade wise is your undergrad degree. The rest is based on your personal statement, references, and general application.

I probably wouldn't have got into my future post grad uni (I start sept 2016) based on my a level results if I wanted to go there as an undergraduate....however, I got an unconditional offer very quickly from them due to my high 2.1 in English Literature.

I honestly would apply to (pretty much) whatever program you want with relevance to English Lang & Lit. Open University is also very well looked upon, and in a weird way the fact you didn't do a levels but came out with a very good degree will show your willingness to work perhaps harder, as you didn't bridge the gap with Level 3 study.

The only universities I can envisage being somewhat snooty are maybe some ancient Scottish and Oxbridge, but I am not qualified to 100% confirm this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHeroes94)

The only universities I can envisage being somewhat snooty are maybe some ancient Scottish and Oxbridge, but I am not qualified to 100% confirm this.
    This is definitely an incorrect assertion. While a 2:1 may not meet the requirements for all of their postgrad courses, they are not "snooty" about the undergrad institution as long as grades and references are good. There is at least one poster on TSR who did Oxbridge postgrad after OU undergrad, I'm sure there are more around!

Also many postgrad applications don't even ask for high school or A level results - Cambridge certainly doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmmyes)
    First off, I skipped A levels to work abroad and then got a 2:1 BA with the Open Uni. I am now considering doing a masters of some sort either part or full time. Considering my lack of A levels (apart from a German one), is it ridiculous to even entertain the idea that any good UK uni would accept me despite having a 2:1 degree?

Second, if entertaining such an idea wasn't so ridiculous, what kind of masters program do you think would suit considering I have a 2:1 in English lang and lit? I hear a masters in English is a waste of time and money largely and that choosing something more specific is better... but WHAT!?

Thanks in advance
    As others have said your A-Level grades are not important to postgrad admissions. It's your undergrad degree which counts- a 2:1 is good enough for 99% unis/courses with a decent application. Admission for postgraduate level isn't as competitive. Funding is the main issue- expect to have to self fund on most courses. What you should do really depends on what you want the outcome to be. The reason many people say that a masters in English is a waste of time and money is because it doesn't make it any easier to get a job- its another year of academy study rather than practical experience which employers value. If you wanted to carry on to Phd or just wanted to learn for learnings sake it wouldn't be a waste of time. An alternative more specific course that springs to mind would be Speech and Language Therapy, however it is an intensive two years and not to be stepped into lightly. However don't choose a course just for the sake of doing a masters. Think about where you want to be in a years time and find out how others got there, because that year will come around pretty quickly.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.