Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm still debating over my uni options for English, but so far I am positive about applying to: Birmingham, Nottingham and Warwick. My predicted grades are A* A A but I need a uni with A Level grade requirements ranging from AAB-ABB. I am considering Kent, however I can't seem to find a single English course which doesn't have a joint honour? For example, they do English lit. and American lit. but not english on it's own. Am i just not googling the right thing or do they just not offer straight English Literature? Also if anyone knows of any Uni's looking for AAB-ABB that are good, please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Kent's primary English course is English and American Literature Q300 (which is a single honours). They do not offer a course called solely 'English Literature'.
    Try UEA (AAB), Royal Holloway (ABB), Southampton (AAB), Queen Mary (AAB), Leicester (ABB), Cardiff (AAB).

I've also applied for English with the same predicted grades, and my application featured UEA (with Creative Writing, making it AAA), Southampton, Royal Holloway, Sussex (AAA) (all for straight English) and then Kent's English and American Lit course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmathereader)
    Kent's primary English course is English and American Literature Q300 (which is a single honours). They do not offer a course called solely 'English Literature'.
    Try UEA (AAB), Royal Holloway (ABB), Southampton (AAB), Queen Mary (AAB), Leicester (ABB), Cardiff (AAB).

I've also applied for English with the same predicted grades, and my application featured UEA (with Creative Writing, making it AAA), Southampton, Royal Holloway, Sussex (AAA) (all for straight English) and then Kent's English and American Lit course
    Oh THANK YOU!! Also for your personal statement did you talk a lot about American Literature?? I've discussed both the kite runner and To kill a mockingbird but since it's the only course that has american lit. in the title i haven't spoken of it explicitly? Do you think if i applied I could still maybe get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amcgill1)
    Oh THANK YOU!! Also for your personal statement did you talk a lot about American Literature?? I've discussed both the kite runner and To kill a mockingbird but since it's the only course that has american lit. in the title i haven't spoken of it explicitly? Do you think if i applied I could still maybe get an offer?
    It was the only one of my courses which was explicitly English and American lit, and when I sent in my application, I applied for only the other 4 and added Kent later, so my personal statement did not mention a specific love for American literature as I didn't know I would be applying for an American lit course; one of the texts I mentioned was American ('I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' by Maya Angelou) however that was purely coincidental and not for the purpose of applying to Kent's course. It must've done the trick as I got an offer (ABB) the day after adding them to my application! With those two texts, you've already mentioned more American lit than I did, so I'm sure it'll be okay! Kent must realise that a lot of their applicants gear their statements towards pure English lit courses elsewhere! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It was the only one of my courses which was explicitly English and American lit, and when I sent in my application, I applied for only the other 4 and added Kent later, so my personal statement did not mention a specific love for American literature as I didn't know I would be applying for an American lit course; one of the texts I mentioned was American ('I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' by Maya Angelou) however that was purely coincidental and not for the purpose of applying to Kent's course. It must've done the trick as I got an offer (ABB) the day after adding them to my application! With those two texts, you've already mentioned more American lit than I did, so I'm sure it'll be okay! Kent must realise that a lot of their applicants gear their statements towards pure English lit courses elsewhere! Good luck
    Ahhh that's amazing! well done!! Oh thank goodness you've eased my worries that's for sure. I think I will put them down, and also maybe UEA? What do you think of their English course?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh that's amazing! well done!! Oh thank goodness you've eased my worries that's for sure. I think I will put them down, and also maybe UEA? What do you think of their English course?
    I adore UEA (they're the other uni that has given me an offer - got that one this morning and cried!). A big attraction for me was their English with Creative Writing course (the one I applied for in the end), which sounds brilliant to me, albeit ridiculously competitive, but even their single honours English has so many modules that really suited me - check them out if you haven't already - plus when I went to go see the uni, I kinda fell in love with it (I've always loved the area). If you can, I'd really suggest having a look at it. A lot of people comment on the 'concrete' feel, but it is something my dad and I didn't notice. It was just a place I could see myself living for the next 3 years. It's all a personal thing though, so I'd say do your research very thoroughly!

ReputationRep:
    I adore UEA (they're the other uni that has given me an offer - got that one this morning and cried!). A big attraction for me was their English with Creative Writing course (the one I applied for in the end), which sounds brilliant to me, albeit ridiculously competitive, but even their single honours English has so many modules that really suited me - check them out if you haven't already - plus when I went to go see the uni, I kinda fell in love with it (I've always loved the area). If you can, I'd really suggest having a look at it. A lot of people comment on the 'concrete' feel, but it is something my dad and I didn't notice. It was just a place I could see myself living for the next 3 years. It's all a personal thing though, so I'd say do your research very thoroughly!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! THAT'S AMAZING!!!!!!! I've done some research and their english course sounds really good as they offer the module in creative writing which is brilliant! I think I'll definitely put it down as it seems like a great place! Thank you for help!!

ReputationRep:
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! THAT'S AMAZING!!!!!!! I've done some research and their english course sounds really good as they offer the module in creative writing which is brilliant! I think I'll definitely put it down as it seems like a great place! Thank you for help!!
    No probs. Fingers crossed for you

ReputationRep:
    No probs. Fingers crossed for you
    Thank you! Also I'm just looking through Southampton's modules but I can't seem to see a creative writing module for the english lit. course? Do they not offer it or am I just not looking in the right place?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Also I'm just looking through Southampton's modules but I can't seem to see a creative writing module for the english lit. course? Do they not offer it or am I just not looking in the right place?
    I think they have scriptwriting as an optional module later on (as well as some other modules with creative writing features), but to be honest there wasn't any creative writing that stood out to me as exceptional in their course. I selected Southampton for the possibility of doing a minor in History but they don't have the best modules of my selections (personal opinion) and they're probably my 5th choice.

ReputationRep:
    I think they have scriptwriting as an optional module later on, but to be honest there wasn't any creative writing that stood out to me in their course. I selected Southampton for the possibility of doing a minor in History but they don't have the best modules of my selections (personal opinion) and they're probably my 5th choice.
    Thank you! Makes sense they'll probably be my fifth choice and I think I'm going to make Royal Holloway my fourth

ReputationRep:
    I take back what I said, I have just spotted Creative Writing on Southampton's list of minor subjects, so I think you can choose Creative Writing as a minor when you get there - look into that if it interests you!

Thank you! Makes sense they'll probably be my fifth choice and I think I'm going to make Royal Holloway my fourth
    Royal Holloway is a beautiful place

ReputationRep:
    I take back what I said, I have just spotted Creative Writing on Southampton's list of minor subjects, so I think you can choose Creative Writing as a minor when you get there - look into that if it interests you!

Royal Holloway is a beautiful place
    Ooh thank you I must have missed that!
    It's an amazing campus!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.