Turn on thread page Beta

Pgce interview - micro teaching ideas needed !!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a PGCE interview coming up in which i have to prepare a 5 minute micro-teach episode on an area that interests me or a particular skill that i can teach to a group of adults (for example origami or tying a knot) Any ideas on what i could do would be extremely helpful as i am feeling slightly stressed on what to do and how to present myself in the best light?

ReputationRep:
    Is this for post 16 pgce?

You could do something on the career options related to your subject. I say this because i think it's an easy topic to explain in a structured way whilst referencing relevant things (qualifications, industries, application of knowledge etc)

ReputationRep:
    No sadly this is for primary pgce (forgot to mention that woops) and I'm just stuck on ideas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 365gapyear)
    I have a PGCE interview coming up in which i have to prepare a 5 minute micro-teach episode on an area that interests me or a particular skill that i can teach to a group of adults (for example origami or tying a knot) Any ideas on what i could do would be extremely helpful as i am feeling slightly stressed on what to do and how to present myself in the best light?

Don't worry so much about content, they will be looking to see:

how well you can communicate an idea (doesn't hurt to use the old structure of 'I'm going to tell you about' followed by the content, followed by a reminder 'this is what you've learned')

whether you can bring it in within the allocated 5 minutes rather than running out of time (too much content) or finishing too early (too little content). Five minutes is nothing - practice with a timer.

how you act in front of an audience - are you confident and relaxed, or worried and stumbling over your words? An audience of adults can be more scary than a group of 5 year olds! Preparation and loads of rehearsal will help.

how well you get your ideas across - if you're enthusiastic about what you are saying, your audience will be more likely to learn.

So, bearing in mind all of the above, the content really isn't important - choose something that you know about and that you're keen for others to know about.

(note: yes I did copy and paste this from an answer I gave a couple of days ago - there was another thread asking the same question and there might be some other useful responses on that thread)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you're familiar with another language you can try teaching some basic words or sentences? I know I would be pretty buggered if this can up for me as I haven't a clue what I would do!! What uni is this for btw?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the helpful information! And this is for Bath Spa!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I echo everything Jantaculum said, and will add this: make sure what you are teaching them is something you know really well. Try tying a shoelace or making a paper aeroplane. The content means nothing. It's all the rest that matters, and you can only concentrate on the presentation if it's something you know inside out.

ReputationRep:
    That's true, i just am worried if i decided to do for example tie a shoelace, it's that i have no skills to show or that i may come across as stupid, i am beyond worried for the interview in general and this having to teach a skill has made me stressed!

ReputationRep:
    That's true, i just am worried if i decided to do for example tie a shoelace, it's that i have no skills to show or that i may come across as stupid, i am beyond worried for the interview in general and this having to teach a skill has made me stressed!
    No, they are NOT assessing what you know. It's how you teach. You will not be assessed on your ability to paint a masterpiece or reinvent the wheel. They want to see all the things Jantaculum said. Source: I used to do PGCE interviews at two universities.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thank you.
    In terms of tying shoelaces would you suggest then bringing in say 6 shoes in order for them to tie or? As i need to be wary of what resources i'll need to get before.
    I am really open to any skill ideas (my mind is blank)

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thank you.
    In terms of tying shoelaces would you suggest then bringing in say 6 shoes in order for them to tie or? As i need to be wary of what resources i'll need to get before.
    I am really open to any skill ideas (my mind is blank)
    If that is the number of the group you have to deal with. Or make a prop of some kind. Tying a shoelace is only an example. As part of GCSE English I've heard kids explain the off-side rule, how to put on eyeliner, how to make a snow globe, birthday card, milkshake, all sorts. Just keep it simple and play to your strengths. Don't overcomplicate things.

BTW using the orange reply button in the bottom right hand corner will alert me to your reply.

ReputationRep:
    No shoelaces. No knots and bits of rope of any kind

I've tried teaching shoelaces to five year olds, I've tried teaching nautical knots to hardened old yachties, I've even tried teaching my own children by the time you've worked out who's left-handed, and how to do the knots in reverse so that everyone can follow, and been round and helped anyone who's got stuck, your five minutes will be up and no-one will have learned anything they didn't already know

Absolutely no shoelaces (yes I do have traumatic memories!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    No shoelaces. No knots and bits of rope of any kind

I've tried teaching shoelaces to five year olds, I've tried teaching nautical knots to hardened old yachties, I've even tried teaching my own children by the time you've worked out who's left-handed, and how to do the knots in reverse so that everyone can follow, and been round and helped anyone who's got stuck, your five minutes will be up and no-one will have learned anything they didn't already know

Absolutely no shoelaces (yes I do have traumatic memories!)
    Well, yes, I see your point. But she is teaching adults in this case. Perhaps doing buttons up or using velcro instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Well, yes, I see your point. But she is teaching adults in this case. Perhaps doing buttons up or using velcro instead?
    Definitely. Adults are FAR more awkward than five year olds…… (it's the yachties that were the difficult students )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    Definitely. Adults are FAR more awkward than five year olds…… (it's the yachties that were the difficult students )
    Yes, I know the type. I should have picked something other than shoelaces, but my mind went blank at the wrong moment.
    Something else which has become an instinct by adulthood. Explaining the off-side rule was always my go-to for boys at work, but that's not a skill. Playing noughts and crosses?

ReputationRep:
    I think i may do something as simple as making a paper airplane!

Although in the information about the interview it did say skills for adults but i'm sure this would still be okay!

ReputationRep:
    I'm attending a PGCE interview at bath spa next week too ☹ stressing me right out! so much to remember and plan for already!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to butt in, but I have a similar activity to prepare for an interview next week (tuesday and I only found out today!). I need to teach a group of adults how to do something simple, pretty much as above, but entirely in Spanish and the instructions say to assume the group has no knowledge of the language yet it is not to be a language lesson. I'm finding this a bit hard to get my head around! Any advice?!

ReputationRep:
    Woah what uni is this for? This seems hard, could you pick something super simple and translate it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Woah what uni is this for? This seems hard, could you pick something super simple and translate it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's for a secondary modern languages pgce at Goldsmiths. I'm just finding the concept a bit confusing!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.