Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When do Student Loans for Postgrad become available watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply now for Masters courses which start in September 2016. From what I've read, the government intends to introduce postgrad loans for 2016-17. Does that mean I'd be eligible for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sathesh)
    I'm hoping to apply now for Masters courses which start in September 2016. From what I've read, the government intends to introduce postgrad loans for 2016-17. Does that mean I'd be eligible for it?
    The plans have been delayed. On paper they're still under discussion, but I wouldn't hold your breath. We're well into next year's postgrad recruitment cycle with no decision on whether they will actually go ahead. My gut instinct is that they'll be deemed too expensive and won't happen. As another major round of government cuts are about to be announced, I can't imagine how spending on postgrad loans would be looked on favourably - especially when undergrad Student Finance is near the tipping point of being financially non-viable.

As they haven't been finalised, nobody knows what the qualifying criteria would be, so there's no way of knowing whether you'd qualify even if they did go ahead. There was an age limit of 30 mentioned in initial discussions, with a suggestion that it might be limited to STEM subjects. But we just don't know.

Personally, I wouldn't base postgrad study plans on having the loan. You can always apply for a Masters and turn down any offer next year if the funding doesn't happen.

Also, bear in mind that the funding was only ever going to be a maximum of £10,000, which is unlikely to cover tuition fees+living costs for a year. Even if the loan goes ahead at that maximum and you get it, the likelihood is that you'll still need several thousand pounds over and above that amount.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.