The Student Room Group

I feel like ****

Today, i got my TSA mock results back.

The teacher, a uni ucas head, told us that TSA is based on intellectual abilities and that 60% was an average for students and those who got 60% or over would likely get interviews at good colleges.

Then he told me that I got 35%. His words were, "that's not good", "you should rethink your subject choice".

What is that supposed to mean???? That because I got lower on a thinking skills test, I'm not intellectual enough to apply for the subject, I like, at Uni?

I am actually really quite upset. Does it mean that even if I work hard, i'm not smart enough to do it?

This is a pointless rant but I feel frustrated. I love my subject choices at A-Level and I still want to apply for PPE (politics, philosophy and economics) but due to my teacher's words, I feel like I can't do it because according to my teacher, that mock TSA reflects my abilities...
Original post by Sherry202

The teacher, a uni ucas head, told us that TSA is based on intellectual abilities and that 60% was an average for students and those who got 60% or over would likely get interviews at good colleges.

Then he told me that I got 35%. His words were, "that's not good", "you should rethink your subject choice".

What is that supposed to mean???? That because I got lower on a thinking skills test, I'm not intellectual enough to apply for the subject, I like, at Uni?

I am actually really quite upset. Does it mean that even if I work hard, i'm not smart enough to do it?

This is a pointless rant but I feel frustrated. I love my subject choices at A-Level and I still want to apply for PPE (politics, philosophy and economics) but due to my teacher's words, I feel like I can't do it because according to my teacher, that mock TSA reflects my abilities...

If it was only a mock, I don't think you should be too upset, especially if you're applying next year (this year's TSA was on the 4th). There's plenty of time to practise and get better at it. To an extent, aptitude tests can't really be prepared for but your score is greatly affected by your timing and strategy, and these things can definitely be perfected with practice. :smile:

Don't worry too much about one mock. It's really only a worry if, despite a lot of practice, you get consistently poor results on it.
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
If it was only a mock, I don't think you should be too upset, especially if you're applying next year (this year's TSA was on the 4th). There's plenty of time to practise and get better at it. To an extent, aptitude tests can't really be prepared for but your score is greatly affected by your timing and strategy, and these things can definitely be perfected with practice. :smile:

Don't worry too much about one mock. It's really only a worry if, despite a lot of practice, you get consistently poor results on it.

Thanks
And he even told me that you can't practice the TSA at all and that means even a mock reflects your intellectual abilities.

So what you said makes me feel better. :smile:
Thanks
And he even told me that you can't practice the TSA at all and that means even a mock reflects your intellectual abilities.

So what you said makes me feel better. :smile:

Well, he clearly doesn't agree with the admissions tutors who actually use the TSA, who recommend some preparation for it. It's true that it's not like an A Level exam in that you can't cram for it, but being familiar with the types of questions and how to make the best use of limited time are obviously things you can prepare for.

Nice to hear I helped somewhat. :smile:
Reply 4

The TSA is just one test, and not all unis look at it. Do some research and see if the unis you want to apply to will ask for it for your subject. If all of them do then you might want to consider changing some choices. But there are other things that are important, like A Level grades, personal statement and reference, so you need to consider those too when making choices.

I don't think you should take it to heart too much, but rather as constructive criticism and as a means to improve. I know it may seem discouraging but is it worth really backing down just because of a test score/what a teacher advises? Last year I sat the UKCAT (an aptitude test which a lot of people say you can't revise for) and came out with a very low score too - I thought my chances of going to dental school were over. This year, however, with a heck of a load more reflection and practice with an improved strategy to how I approached questions, I resat the test and left the exam room with flying colours :smile: Don't let people tell you that your academia goals are impossible. You just need to work extra hard to make your UCAS application the best it can be and I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
(edited 8 years ago)

rant all u want I get the frustrations completely, I hate hate hate when teachers determine your whole academic worth based on MOCKS like yeah it gives them an insight into what ur capable of somewhat but they're forgetting something. They are mocks and that in itself puts it on a whole different level with actual final exams, ofc ur gonna do better on the latter, teachers aren't experts in the providing motivation field cause all they care is that you get what you are predicted and the grades, if you don't you are in trouble according to them. Prove them wrong, you will improve and make them embarrassed for even thinking of stopping you -cheering u onnnn
Original post by Ilalala
rant all u want I get the frustrations completely, I hate hate hate when teachers determine your whole academic worth based on MOCKS like yeah it gives them an insight into what ur capable of somewhat but they're forgetting something. They are mocks and that in itself puts it on a whole different level with actual final exams, ofc ur gonna do better on the latter, teachers aren't experts in the providing motivation field cause all they care is that you get what you are predicted and the grades, if you don't you are in trouble according to them. Prove them wrong, you will improve and make them embarrassed for even thinking of stopping you -cheering u onnnn

She made that post nearly 7 years ago. Hopefully things have worked out for her by now.
Original post by son of the sea
she made that post nearly 7 years ago. Hopefully things have worked out for her by now.

omg lmaooo i never checked the date?? Thats too funny lmao well all the best to her

Latest

Trending

Trending