Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    Specification:
    GCE UK - http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...hs_Issue_3.pdf
    IAL - http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...Maths_Iss2.pdf

Formula booklet:
    [/u]

Past papers, solution bank and questions by topic:
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...urther-pure-3/

Questions from the older specification:
    [/u]
    Mark scheme: https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f067571766...%20Edexcel.pdf

Mad as Maths booklets (by TeeEm):
    [/u]

Exam Solutions:
    http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...FP3/module.php

FMSP revision videos:
    http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/edexcel-revision

Derivative and Integral calculator:
    http://www.derivative-calculator.net
    http://www.integral-calculator.com

Desmos:
    https://www.desmos.com/calculator

TeeEm's solution to FP3 2015

kprime2's solutions to all past papers

Model answers by kprime2:

ReputationRep:
    This thread looks better than the other "Module official thread" ones, good job!

I'll be doing FP3. :-)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I remember sitting S4 and D1 back to back, as well as FP2 and M1, it's pretty tough! (Who timetables these things... :shakecane:

So good luck to anyone doing S2 and FP3 on the same day.. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    If anybody wants to have a go at a pretty nifty integral:

Obtain a recurrence for \displaystyle I_n  = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{(a^2 + x^2)^n}

Thanks to Louisb19 for that one! :-)

ReputationRep:
    S2 on the same day...

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing S2 and FP3 on the same day too :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    This thread looks better than the other "Module official thread" ones, good job!

I'll be doing FP3. :-)

Obtain a recurrence for \displaystyle I_n  = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{(a^2 + x^2)^n}

Thank you, Zacken! I've tried making it as helpful as possible for anyone using the thread. I will try your integral once I've started the integration chapter.

(Original post by Louisb19)
    S2 on the same day...
    (Original post by Jordan\)
    It's like it never occurred to Edexcel that maybe, just maybe those doing Further Maths might be sitting for S2 as well. There was a clash last year as well (and the year before that with M2). I guess anyone crazy enough to do FP3 should have the capability to do 2 modules on the same day (or at least that's what Edexcel assumes...)

Did anyone do the mixed exercises from Chapter 2? They're absolutely dreadful...

ReputationRep:

Hey Zacken! How would you obtain a recurrence relation for this integral? Looks tricky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Hey Zacken! How would you obtain a recurrence relation for this integral? Looks tricky!
    \displaystyle a^2 I_n = \int \frac{a^2 + x^2}{(a^2 + x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d}x - \int \frac{x^2}{(a^2 + x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d}x \Rightarrow a^2 I_{n} = I_{n-1} - \int x \cdot \frac{x \, \mathrm{d}x}{(a^2 + x^2)^n}

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, Zacken! I've tried making it as helpful as possible for anyone using the thread. I will try your integral once I've started the integration chapter.

It's like it never occurred to Edexcel that maybe, just maybe those doing Further Maths might be sitting for S2 as well. There was a clash last year as well (and the year before that with M2). I guess anyone crazy enough to do FP3 should have the capability to do 2 modules on the same day (or at least that's what Edexcel assumes...)

Did anyone do the mixed exercises from Chapter 2? They're absolutely dreadful...
    It's not Edexcel's fault. There are a limited amount of slots allocated to Maths A-level, and hence the need to double up. The primary timetabling concern is avoiding clashes between pairs of popular subjects.

The JCQ probably has something on this on their website

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle a^2 I_n = \int \frac{a^2 + x^2}{(a^2 + x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d}x - \int \frac{x^2}{(a^2 + x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d}x \Rightarrow a^2 I_{n} = I_{n-1} - \int x \cdot \frac{x \, \mathrm{d}x}{(a^2 + x^2)^n}
    Clever bit of algebraic manipulation, I see! As usual with reduction formulae... How would you say FP3 vectors are? Planning to start them coming week.

(Original post by shamika)
    It's not Edexcel's fault. There are a limited amount of slots allocated to Maths A-level, and hence the need to double up. The primary timetabling concern is avoiding clashes between pairs of popular subjects.

The JCQ probably has something on this on their website
    That's informative, thank you. That would explain all those clashes between FP3 and M2/S2 over the years since they probably look at FP3 as an unpopular unit and assume anyone sitting for it should be more than capable of sitting for two modules on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

I'm self studying FP1-3, S3-4 and M1 this year. Plus I'm planning to resit S2 (just to get better UMS). It's going to be FUUUUN since I have just started

ReputationRep:
    Just quote me if you meed any help, i can't remember if i got 100ums in FP3 but i definately got an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Just quote me if you meed any help, i can't remember if i got 100ums in FP3 but i definately got an A*.
    Thank you for the offer!

I remember you from the previous school year's threads Good luck with your Cambridge application.

How much harder did you find FP modules compared to Core? I self studied A level Maths last year without any problems and apart from a stupid mistake in the S2 exam, I had 100% UMS in all other modules.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have S2 on the same day as well and they're both AM exams. How much break does your college give to you between the two exams?
    According to the law you can sit exams for 3hrs without a break so that means we're actually not entitled to a break and last year my college made a guy sit two exams in one go without any break. ...
    So how long is your break (if you know it)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    Hi

I have S2 on the same day as well and they're both AM exams. How much break does your college give to you between the two exams?
    According to the law you can sit exams for 3hrs without a break so that means we're actually not entitled to a break and last year my college made a guy sit two exams in one go without any break. ...
    I wouldn't know as I'm a private candidate and I'm just happy the school is willing to sort out my clashes. So I'll take whatever they offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludmila)
    Thank you for the offer!

I remember you from the previous school year's threads Good luck with your Cambridge application.

How much harder did you find FP modules compared to Core? I self studied A level Maths last year without any problems and apart from a stupid mistake in the S2 exam, I had 100% UMS in all other modules.
    Tbh i didnt do any practice of Core or FP modules since i found them rather easy. C3/4 is trivial compared to FP3/2 though. I would say they require more intuition and understanding. The reason i didnt bother practising was because i was good enough through doing step etc, although i didnt get 100 in everythjng i only lost marks due to anfew silly mistakes and missing out methods marks for skipping obvious stuff(C4 wtf).
    Tbh if you got 100 in all your modules you should not find FP that difficult. Just try to understand it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    Hi

I think it depends on your luck and whether the invigilator is benevolent enough to give you a break or not.

What I'm more worried about is which exam goes first and whether I have a choice. I really don't want to sit S2 first - it'd make me fall asleep and FP3 would hammer me afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on your luck and whether the invigilator is benevolent enough to give you a break or not.

What I'm more worried about is which exam goes first and whether I have a choice. I really don't want to sit S2 first - it'd make me fall asleep and FP3 would hammer me afterwards.
    Unfortunately it concerns only 2 students in the whole college..... me and my friend
    so i can see them being lazy and not supervising us... but i'll probably force my college to do that.... i dont want to end up getting lower grades/marks as last year I had a clash: S1 and English gcse
    I had to start with English and I ended up getting only 91 marks in S1 as I could hardly concentrate. English was so boring and took all my energy... every mark counts for an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I remember sitting S4 and D1 back to back, as well as FP2 and M1, it's pretty tough! (Who timetables these things... :shakecane:

So good luck to anyone doing S2 and FP3 on the same day.. :borat:
    Those ofqual parasites.

(Original post by Louisb19)
    S2 on the same day...
    (Original post by Jordan\)
    Yeah same

Also C4 S4 on the same day!!!!

C3 M5 omg.

Exams seems late this year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.