Turn on thread page Beta

I criticised my teacher at parents evening and now he hates me! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    So everyone thought my geography teacher wasn't good and they disliked him. People were complaining about how he teaches and his attitude. So I decided at parents evening to speak up. He asked me is there anything I want to say and I just had to because I believed it would improve our learning time. So I gave him some criticisms and he treated me so well so I thought pfft it won't be that bad. I dont wanna go into details of what I said.

I had a lesson after the parents evening and he looked like he wanted to cry. He looked heartbroken and his tone of voice sounded like he was going to rage. It was so awkward in the class and I couldn't even look at him. I was so scared and I wanted to cry lol. I feel like I should apologise but what I said was true and people are telling me I did the right thing.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)

Omg i havent finished typing and it got published! Dont read it!
    lol.........

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    So theres this teacher who everyone thought wasn't good and they disliked him. People were complaining about how he teaches and his attitude. So I decided at parents evening to speak up. He asked me is there anything I want to say and I just had to because I believed it would improve our learning time. So I gave him some criticisms and he treated me so well so I though

Omg i havent finished typing and it got published! Dont read it!
    too late, read it! besides, how did you press submit by accident after you've written "
    Omg i havent finished typing and it got published! Dont read it!" and there isn't an "edited" at the bottom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbw)
    too late, read it! besides, how did you press submit by accident after you've written "
    Omg i havent finished typing and it got published! Dont read it!" and there isn't an "edited" at the bottom?
    Yeah after it published I edited it.

ReputationRep:
    I criticised my english teacher aka head of sixth form aka ******** once as well, i just said "i don't benefit from your teaching, and the help your providing is useless" (my exact words btw, cos i was extremely fed up) after that, he taught the class well - although his face did drop when i told him my criticism, burst his little bubble. mwaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    I criticised my english teacher aka head of sixth form aka ******** once as well, i just said "i don't benefit from your teaching, and the help your providing is useless" (my exact words btw, cos i was extremely fed up) after that, he taught the class well - although his face did drop when i told him my criticism, burst his little bubble. mwaha
    Do you think its immature of the teacher to be upset and that he should take it in and use the criticism?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its immature of the teacher to be upset and that he should take it in and use the criticism?
    Yes it is, he's just being a big baby. But if you still feel bad about it, apologize and give him your reasoning behind your criticism lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Yes it is, he's just being a big baby. But if you still feel bad about it, apologize and give him your reasoning behind your criticism lol
    Haha okay

ReputationRep:
    If you provide constructive criticism then it's fine but also you have to understand if they are passionate and feel they are doing well they will take a little hit if someone says otherwise.

Also if you're straight up rude with it, then ....

I doubt your teacher would tell you to your face that you're s*** and if they did it wouldn't feel good would it XD

As long as you say it tactfully and with respect there should be no issue.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so guilty..

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    So everyone thought my geography teacher wasn't good and they disliked him. People were complaining about how he teaches and his attitude. So I decided at parents evening to speak up. He asked me is there anything I want to say and I just had to because I believed it would improve our learning time. So I gave him some criticisms and he treated me so well so I thought pfft it won't be that bad. I dont wanna go into details of what I said.

I had a lesson after the parents evening and he looked like he wanted to cry. He looked heartbroken and his tone of voice sounded like he was going to rage. It was so awkward in the class and I couldn't even look at him. I was so scared and I wanted to cry lol. I feel like I should apologise but what I said was true and people are telling me I did the right thing.

What should I do?
    What tone did you use, amd did you use the right words?

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel guilty, if he's a **** teacher and he's asked for criticisms/advice then he should be prepared for it. And he can't have been that surprised or heartbroken about it, if everyone said he's bad then he surely must have noticed people dropping off or talking in his class instead of listening. Just wait and see if his methods change

ReputationRep:
    A lot of his students dropped the subject because of him. Everyone had similar opinions and I'm literally his favourite student...so maybe that's why he was heartbroken?
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Don't feel guilty, if he's a **** teacher and he's asked for criticisms/advice then he should be prepared for it. And he can't have been that surprised or heartbroken about it, if everyone said he's bad then he surely must have noticed people dropping off or talking in his class instead of listening. Just wait and see if his methods change
    But barely anyone told him what they think.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so the teacher expects to give you criticism in Parents' Evening, and can't handle it himself?

Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of his students dropped the subject because of him. Everyone had similar opinions and I'm literally his favourite student...so maybe that's why he was heartbroken?
    If he's actually feeling sorry for himself then he must have the self awareness of crisp packet :lolwut: Several students have dropped the subject, surely that must have alarm bells ringing in his head. Maybe if he really was that oblivious he must have thought he was good and you've finally burst his bubble. Don't apologise or anything, see if he changes anything or improves.

ReputationRep:
    If he's actually feeling sorry for himself then he must have the self awareness of crisp packet :lolwut: Several students have dropped the subject, surely that must have alarm bells ringing in his head. Maybe if he really was that oblivious he must have thought he was good and you've finally burst his bubble. Don't apologise or anything, see if he changes anything or improves.
    Not even "I'm sorry it sounded so harsh and unexpected but my intention was to give you constructive criticism so that everyone learns better. I do appreciate your efforts"?

ReputationRep:
    My tone was as innocent as possible. Lemme list you what I said actually:
    -He didn't teach the class properly last year
    -he's quite rude to his students
    -in half term he was too impatient and rude, he called my friend stupid when she has really low self esteem and that really annoyed me cos he didn't help her
    -he's teaching better now
    -he needs to help the less able students more
    Most teacher that would hear that would be gutted, amd feel embarrassed especially at parents evening.

You should've said something along the lines of:
    -"I feel like I'm not learning as effective in your class mainly due to your teaching methods" amd givw examples and ways to improve"
    -"we often feel like you put far more pressure on us than necessary,which is demoralising us"

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell us what you said?
    I mean, what you are saying is reasonably anonymous... Unless he is a very avid user of TSR

EDIT: Sorry just seen your post saying what you said!

ReputationRep:

Quite.

ReputationRep:
    Thats not always the case and it isnt a good indicator of how well a teacher teaches. You also have to consider student's interest fromt he teacher's perspective (whether they know the student hate the subject rather than teacher,or need it or find it difficult; and students never really state their reasons to them)

60% of people in my class dropped Maths, which was not because of teachers but the subject itself.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.