Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My careers advisor at college today told me that the likelihood of getting into midwifery was slim so I shouldn't have applied. I feel distressed!

Also how many applicants per place at Birmingham City university and Coventry as they are my main two.

ReputationRep:
    do it anyway

i know someone who applied for a uni wanting AAB with predicted grades of BBC with less than Cs at AS and they got an offer

teachers told them to apply for foundation courses

just go for it- got nothing to lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    do it anyway

i know someone who applied for a uni wanting AAB with predicted grades of BBC with less than Cs at AS and they got an offer

teachers told them to apply for foundation courses

just go for it- got nothing to lose
    Was this for midwifery? That's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHopefulMedic)
    Was this for midwifery? That's amazing!
    no no no haha it was for motorsports engineering at Brunel

ReputationRep:
    My careers advisor at college today told me that the likelihood of getting into midwifery was slim so I shouldn't have applied. I feel distressed!

Also how many applicants per place at Birmingham City university and Coventry as they are my main two.
    Career 'advisors' are ridiculous.Mine told me something ridiculous, I can't remember what she said.But it was something along the lines of, why are you doing A-levels?

Oddly enough I met her again at my new school whist doing my A-levels and she started telling me how her son was apparently failing his A-levels and had no direction as to where he was going.

Lol the irony...

I suggest you don't listen to what she says. You have applied now, there is nothing you can do but sit back, relax and watch the offers roll in
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers

Yes midwifery is incredibly competitive but ifs its your calling in life per say then whats the harm in going for it

The way courses are funded means that the amount of places can vary a little year on year but on average most nursing or midwifery courses have at least 10 applicants per place so i ve read.

ReputationRep:

Midwifery is exceptionally competitive, BCU for 2012 entry had 1500 applicants for 68 places, they interviewed 300. If I remember correctly Coventry had about 600 applications for roughly 30 places. I know that since 2012 it has only got more competitive at BCU, I assume the same can be said for other universities. Go to open days to get up to date statistics.

You need the minimum academic requirements plus work experience and an excellent personal statement as I believe most unis put a lot of weight on personal statements and with how competitive it is you need to stand out.

Good luck with you application

ReputationRep:

why listen to some old hag, do what you want to do, don't give a damn what others say. I remember my music teacher laughing at me when I said I wanted to do Grade 8 Guitar. I worked hard and passed it in year 7.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up! Just keep working and focussing on what your personal goal are - rather than what someone (who I assume has the dull job of destroying peoples aspirations tell you). I believe in you. Prove it to yourself! Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Literally happened during my access course to MH & Midwifery. Obvs I am male, and solely the male in the class, I was aiming to do MH. But most of my class wanted to do Midwifery and first day, first lesson, they already begin talking frankly about why Midwifery is a very competitive course, that university only takes about 25-30, basically, killing their dreams before it even begins, just like the stars we see, for all we know they be dead already. But some came out and got offers to do Midwifery, you just got to keep going. You have chosen a hard road, it will be worth it when you come out of the top.

ReputationRep:
    It is competitive but that shouldn't be a reason just not to do it.
    My friend applied for midwifery and kings ended up offering her adult, which she loves. So there's always chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just go for it anyway, I find career advisors useless anyway.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.