Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi (~:

I'm in year 11.

I've been doing triple science for three years. It wasn't a choice, the school just placed us wherever they thought would be best.

We're still on unit two in all three sciences... not even close to finishing in Physics. The teachers are starting to rush as they need to finish unit 2 before the Christmas holidays.

They're now giving us the chance to drop triple and do additional science but I'm not sure whether I want to.

I was just wondering if anyone had any pros and cons of dropping to additional?

Does it make a big difference as I'm still not sure what subjects I want to choose for A Levels or what I'm going to do in terms of future jobs?

Any help would be appreciated (~~~:

ReputationRep:
    i'd stick to triple science more work but worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cumgarage)
    Hi (~:

I'm in year 11.

I've been doing triple science for three years. It wasn't a choice, the school just placed us wherever they thought would be best.

We're still on unit two in all three sciences... not even close to finishing in Physics. The teachers are starting to rush as they need to finish unit 2 before the Christmas holidays.

They're now giving us the chance to drop triple and do additional science but I'm not sure whether I want to.

Does it make a big difference as I'm still not sure what subjects I want to choose for A Levels or what I'm going to do in terms of future jobs?

generally triple is better but it shouldnt affect A level choices as long as you get good grades.

IMO do triple, work hard and get 3 grades rather than 2

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, as long as you get a good grade it won't affect your A levels at all. There are a few people in my A2 biology class who did additional science and they are just as good as everyone else. Anything important you get taught again anyway.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest lad, to get 3 A's in triple science all you need to do is memorise the CGP books.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing triple for GCSE's its better for you get better options if you do triple if your thinking of going into career where science is relevant.

ReputationRep:
    i think that it wouldn't makr any difference in to ur A levels, if u doing anything (jobs) related to science and want to pick science in A levels and u would b easily getting into A levels
    in triple science teachers tend to rush a lot coz there r 3 more units to cover and it takes approx 3 years to cover them and u will have lil time for revision whereas in double science u will have more time to revise
    regards coursework- triple science has alot of coursework n in double science very less
    however it's good to have triple science if u r capable and know all the things well coz there is no point of doing triple sci and u dont even know ur double sci topics well
    if ur career based on science then it is good to do triple science
    in triple sci u will get 3 grades and most of the colleges and sixth form accept BBB and in double u will get 2 grades AB or BB
    also triple science units r twice as long as the double science units

ReputationRep:
    Make the decision yourself! I don't think it will matter much, stick to triple if you think you have the willpower to revise for all those exams (and the motivation) and drop to additional if you want to take the easy option and don't plan on doing sciencey a levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hi (~:

I'm in year 11.

If you're still on unit two in each science, that is really, really bad. Your teachers honestly shouldn't even be teaching if you're still at that stage tbh, they clearly are awful.

Just do additional as chances are you won't do too well in triple if you rush the rest of additional and all of further additional.

ReputationRep:
    I sat triple science and found it hard to revise it all as i was in the same situation without the option to do additional. Triple science does look good on future documents but only if you get the grades needed. Many of the people doing additional are doing a level biology now it only looks better and is more work it should affect your future prospects

ReputationRep:
    Hi (~:

I'm in year 11.

I took triple science at GCSE and triple science at A-level.
    At my school we studied the unit 1s in the first year and all the 2s and 3s in the second year. I moved schools so I don't know what they did years 7, 8 and 9(nothing apparently).
    In the second year we took 2 of the unit 2s in November, 1 in March and the unit 3s in May/June.
    The unit 3s are generally a bit more interesting but it's mostly just more of the same.

It doesn't really matter. If you decide to do A-levels in science then you don't need any higher grades to enter and the headstart of doing triple won't help much after the first few weeks.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.