Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Overpayment of Grant - Should I chase SLC? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I completed a one year Post-grad degree in 2011. I applied for a childcare grant and was awarded it. I made predicted childcare costs to SLC, they said I was entitled to a certain figure and paid me that exact amount. A couple of years after I'd finished, they said they'd overpaid me by almost 4k and wanted it back! I queried this as my confirmed childcare costs turned out be higher than what I'd predicted before the course started, so if anything, I should have been entitled to more grant not less.

I wrote two official queries/complaints to slc asking them to explain how my grant reduced even though my costs increased. For the first I received nothing other than an automated response. To the second I also received an email from a real person telling someone would be in touch soon. I heard nothing for two years until July 2015 when a debt collection agency writes me a letter telling me to repay everything quickly.

After talking to slc again, they said the only thing I can do is re-submit evidence to process my grant again and see if I was overpaid or not. This is a nightmare as one of my childcare providers doesn't work in childcare any more and I can't get evidence for 4 months of the year.

After talking to the debt collection agency a couple of days ago they told me that slc have closed the "account" with them and I need to contact slc directly and slc have now tried to phone me a couple of times while at work.

My question is, should I bother contacting slc? I live abroad now. SLC paid me exactly what they said I was entitled to, then they decided that was too much. They waited two years to answer a simple request meaning I can't get the evidence together any more. I don't see why I should be made to pay for their **** ups. Anyone got any advice as to what I can do next? If I ignore them at this stage will it get written off? Will it go back to the debt collectors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davewalnut)
    Hi,

I completed a one year Post-grad degree in 2011. I applied for a childcare grant and was awarded it. I made predicted childcare costs to SLC, they said I was entitled to a certain figure and paid me that exact amount. A couple of years after I'd finished, they said they'd overpaid me by almost 4k and wanted it back! I queried this as my confirmed childcare costs turned out be higher than what I'd predicted before the course started, so if anything, I should have been entitled to more grant not less.

I wrote two official queries/complaints to slc asking them to explain how my grant reduced even though my costs increased. For the first I received nothing other than an automated response. To the second I also received an email from a real person telling someone would be in touch soon. I heard nothing for two years until July 2015 when a debt collection agency writes me a letter telling me to repay everything quickly.

After talking to slc again, they said the only thing I can do is re-submit evidence to process my grant again and see if I was overpaid or not. This is a nightmare as one of my childcare providers doesn't work in childcare any more and I can't get evidence for 4 months of the year.

After talking to the debt collection agency a couple of days ago they told me that slc have closed the "account" with them and I need to contact slc directly and slc have now tried to phone me a couple of times while at work.

My question is, should I bother contacting slc? I live abroad now. SLC paid me exactly what they said I was entitled to, then they decided that was too much. They waited two years to answer a simple request meaning I can't get the evidence together any more. I don't see why I should be made to pay for their **** ups. Anyone got any advice as to what I can do next? If I ignore them at this stage will it get written off? Will it go back to the debt collectors?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    SLC are entitled to claim back overpayment, even if it was there mistake- its in the small print you signed. In addition the amount you recieve from them is always based on household income, not the cost of things.

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I'm in a similar situation with a maintenance grant overpayment - I also live abroad and have no income of my own right now. Id be fine with it being added to my student loan but i can't make payments back till I'm actually earning something. I'd love to know what happened with you - did they write it off or did they take you to court?

ReputationRep:
    They chase it back next year, its happened twice to me.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.