Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

International Tourism Marketing or Air Transport Management? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I need some advice please. I'm currently a BA Tourism & Event Management student in Germany looking for a postgraduate course to start next year!
    My two elective majors at uni here in Germany are Aviation and Marketing, which is why I'm considering both MSc International Tourism Marketing and MSc Air Transport Management at the University of Surrey. I don't know which course to choose, though! I think if I chose Air Transport Management it would give me a better chance of working for an airline, which is where I want to work, ideally in aviation/airline marketing. So I believe this course might be more suitable for my dream career. However it's quite difficult to get a good position with a big airline like Lufthansa or British Airways. I have a friend who has a Bachelor's degree in aviation, but just couldn't get a job! Of course chances are higher with a postgraduate degree, but it'll probably still be difficult. So the problem with this course is that it will be pretty much useless for anything else besides aviation. Tourism Marketing on the other hand will give me a much broader option of workplaces after I graduate and I will still be able to try and apply to work in aviation/airline marketing, however I assume my chances will be lower than with the Air Transport degree. A third option would be Cross-Cultural Communication and International Marketing at Newcastle University as an alternative to Tourism Marketing. I've never been to Surrey or Newcastle, but to me it seemed like Newcastle is a nice place to live as it's bigger and close to the beach. It seems like a cool place to live, but I've read that Surrey is a top school for tourism, so I'm thinking I should try and apply there first

Sooo... which course would you recommend? Should I take the risk and go with Air Transport Management or opt for the safer alternative?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loirinha)
    Hi guys, I need some advice please. I'm currently a BA Tourism & Event Management student in Germany looking for a postgraduate course to start next year!
    My two elective majors at uni here in Germany are Aviation and Marketing, which is why I'm considering both MSc International Tourism Marketing and MSc Air Transport Management at the University of Surrey. I don't know which course to choose, though! I think if I chose Air Transport Management it would give me a better chance of working for an airline, which is where I want to work, ideally in aviation/airline marketing. So I believe this course might be more suitable for my dream career. However it's quite difficult to get a good position with a big airline like Lufthansa or British Airways. I have a friend who has a Bachelor's degree in aviation, but just couldn't get a job! Of course chances are higher with a postgraduate degree, but it'll probably still be difficult. So the problem with this course is that it will be pretty much useless for anything else besides aviation. Tourism Marketing on the other hand will give me a much broader option of workplaces after I graduate and I will still be able to try and apply to work in aviation/airline marketing, however I assume my chances will be lower than with the Air Transport degree. A third option would be Cross-Cultural Communication and International Marketing at Newcastle University as an alternative to Tourism Marketing. I've never been to Surrey or Newcastle, but to me it seemed like Newcastle is a nice place to live as it's bigger and close to the beach. It seems like a cool place to live, but I've read that Surrey is a top school for tourism, so I'm thinking I should try and apply there first

Sooo... which course would you recommend? Should I take the risk and go with Air Transport Management or opt for the safer alternative?
    Thanks in advance
    Hallo loirinha,

Ich bin mal so frei, dir auf Deutsch zu antworten. Generell ist immer die Frage, ob man sich besser generalisieren oder spezialisieren sollte. Ich denke in deinem Fall, weil es ja dein absoluter Wunsch ist, in der Luftfahrtbranche zu arbeiten, wäre spezialisieren vielleicht besser. Allerdings kann man, denke ich, sich im Nachhinein noch eher von einem generellen Standpunkt aus spezialisieren, als andersherum. Ich denke da immer so an das Salz im Essen, man kann immer nachstreuen, aber rausholen ist schwieriger. Da ich aber von deiner Branche keine Ahnung habe, kann ich da leider keinen konkreten Rat geben. Ich interessiere mich auch für den MSc International Marketing in Newcastle, aber den reinen Marketing-Studiengang und nicht den mit Cross-Cultural Communication (obwohl ich mir den auch mal angeschaut habe). Und auch auf Surrey hatte ich ein Auge geworfen, allerdings gefällt mir die Newcastle University deutlich besser. Rein subjektiv jedoch hört sich der MSc Air Transport Management mit deinem Hintergrund für mich am besten an. Viel Glück bei deiner Wahl und alles Gute.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.