Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

application of UCAS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have one question about how to fill in the choices. Is one choice in UCAS a major? For example, If I choose government, government and history, government and economics for one university LSE,do these three choices stand for three majors? Will this impair my application? Or it is usually people fill in one choice for one university and another one chocie for another university? Thanks for help in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YubinAi)
    I have one question about how to fill in the choices. Is one choice in UCAS a major? For example, If I choose government, government and history, government and economics for one university LSE,do these three choices stand for three majors? Will this impair my application? Or it is usually people fill in one choice for one university and another one chocie for another university? Thanks for help in advance.
    Yes, they are all different choices and yes, it will reduce your chances because they are all different subjects and it looks as if you don't really care what you study as long as it is at LSE. This is not what they are looking for, and you won't be able to write a personal statement that doesn't fall apart. Decide what you really want and apply for that, and use your other four choices for similar courses elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Yes, they are all different choices and yes, it will reduce your chances because they are all different subjects and it looks as if you don't really care what you study as long as it is at LSE. This is not what they are looking for, and you won't be able to write a personal statement that doesn't fall apart. Decide what you really want and apply for that, and use your other four choices for similar courses elsewhere.
    thank for such ample answer. So it is better to decide one major at one university showing your conviction to study that. Might because my previous application is on U.S, so it provided like alternative area you want to study.
    And one more question about the personal statement. The ps I submit in teh UCAS system will used for every univeristies I apply through system? I mean one ps for my all chose choices? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    thank for such ample answer. So it is better to decide one major at one university showing your conviction to study that. Might because my previous application is on U.S, so it provided like alternative area you want to study.
    And one more question about the personal statement. The ps I submit in teh UCAS system will used for every univeristies I apply through system? I mean one ps for my all chose choices? Thanks
    Yes, UK universities do not operate like US ones. It is expected that you are committed to one course. The same PS is used for all five choices. You are going to need an English language qualification so make sure you look into IELTS requirements for the universities you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Yes, UK universities do not operate like US ones. It is expected that you are committed to one course. The same PS is used for all five choices. You are going to need an English language qualification so make sure you look into IELTS requirements for the universities you are interested in.
    Now I choose KCL,LSE,UCL all about politics...but what if I apply them through TOEFL scores...cuz I am freshmen right now in U.S, so using toefl scores to apply will reduce my possibility of admission? By the way, I have plan to take toefl test next month and expect to get a score of 107 plus. I only got 105 sadly right now.

ReputationRep:
    Now I choose KCL,LSE,UCL all about politics...but what if I apply them through TOEFL scores...cuz I am freshmen right now in U.S, so using toefl scores to apply will reduce my possibility of admission? By the way, I have plan to take toefl test next month and expect to get a score of 107 plus. I only got 105 sadly right now.
    You need to check what each of those universities require. IELTS is the normal one, but I am not an expert there. They are all very competitive universities. If you don't meet the entrance requirements there is no point in applying, so you will have to check.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Carnationlilyrose;60512941]You need to check what each of those universities require. IELTS is the normal one, but I am not an expert there. They are all very competitive universities. If you don't meet the entrance requirements there is no point in applying, so you will have to check.[/QUOTE

All right, Thanks for help.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.