Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Any advice for going ot Marrackech watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Has anyone been there? What is your recommendations? Is it safe to go in the next few days or so ?

ReputationRep:
    I've been a few times, as we used to have a boat in the south of Spain and travel across the Med the Morocco. Honestly, I don't like it. Maybe it's different for a woman or a girl, because I definitely got a lot of creepy looks and comments and even people wanting to buy me or keep me as their wife.

If you do go, keep your valuables safe as there are a lot of pick-pockets around the markets in the Medina. I'd recommend taking a guided tour around as they can advise on which areas are safe and even how to haggle in the markets. Moroccan food is fantastic, so eat as much as you can! Honestly, I wouldn't rush to go back to any of the places in North Africa I have visited, but that is mostly because of how unsafe I felt being a woman there. Maybe for a man, it would be a different experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerol)
    I've been a few times, as we used to have a boat in the south of Spain and travel across the Med the Morocco. Honestly, I don't like it. Maybe it's different for a woman or a girl, because I definitely got a lot of creepy looks and comments and even people wanting to buy me or keep me as their wife.

If you do go, keep your valuables safe as there are a lot of pick-pockets around the markets in the Medina. I'd recommend taking a guided tour around as they can advise on which areas are safe and even how to haggle in the markets. Moroccan food is fantastic, so eat as much as you can! Honestly, I wouldn't rush to go back to any of the places in North Africa I have visited, but that is mostly because of how unsafe I felt being a woman there. Maybe for a man, it would be a different experience.
    Thanks that is great. i also would like go for a mini break . What is the best time of year to go? What kind of things are worth buying and what dished do you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Thanks that is great. i also would like go for a mini break . What is the best time of year to go? What kind of things are worth buying and what dished do you recommend?
    The best time to visit would be anywhere between March and May. The weather is great, not too hot, and there aren't as many tourists as in the Summer. In my opinion, the summer in Morocco is way too hot. As for food, definitely try the tagines and cous cous. If you're adventurous, there is a lot of weird and wonderful street food to try - parts of animals you wouldn't even dream of eating, like camel spleen and sheep cheeks. There are also less weird street foods like bread and calamari. If you go shopping in the souks, you can buy things like scarves, shoes, gifts, tagines etc. You need to bargain hard because the vendors' first prices will be stupidly high (eg. if they tell you 1000 dirhams, you can probably actually get the item for 100-200).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I was thinking of going for a mini break over Christmas/ New year? What do you think? Thanks for the tips on the souks. Not sure how I should barter. Feel really uncomfortable asking for a discount. Any tips? Do they speak english?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Thanks. I was thinking of going for a mini break over Christmas/ New year? What do you think? Thanks for the tips on the souks. Not sure how I should barter. Feel really uncomfortable asking for a discount. Any tips? Do they speak english?
    It's not the same as asking for a discount. Bartering there is practically mandatory. Your opening offer should be 10-20% of theirs, and you shouldn't need to go up too much from there. All the vendors will expect you to barter, so don't worry about it. They do often speak some English, at least enough for bartering and selling their goods.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been marrakesh and the 1 place u must check out is the Atlas mountains. Beautiful scenery!! Great place to go for a cheap holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foys88)
    Ive been marrakesh and the 1 place u must check out is the Atlas mountains. Beautiful scenery!! Great place to go for a cheap holiday.

Thanks. Will do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.