The Student Room Group

my micra has a mystery burning smell..

drive a Nissan micra 2000, lent it to my brother and came back with a burning smell creeping through the vents in intervals of driving.

so I took it to the garage, who said the car is working to the best standards for its age, and they can't see any issues. it was in the garage all day having tests. the only thing they can come up with is its the clutch. but the clutch isn't worn yet or damaged according to them.

so I take it home, and drive it. and yet again the burning smell returns. the tires are fine, the car is fine.
as anyone experienced this with their cars?
Never had this, I wouldn't trust any garage who say a burning small is normal..

What Year is your car? Burning is never normally a clutch, It's down to Oil. How full is your oil, Have you changed it recently? If not Service it, Change the oil/Filters/Coolant. Gear box fluid could also be a cause of burning smells. Does it smell like plastic of machinery?
I
After you've driven for a while, go round the car and hold your hand to each wheel. If one is perceptibly warmer than the others you may have a sticking brake piston.
I certainly belive its a stuck hand brake or clogged brake lines. Get them inspected too. Follow this channel called the scotty kilmer channel on YouTube. He's a great auto mechanic. Just message him, I hope he will be able to help you.
Original post by Billy_edmonds

What Year is your car? Burning is never normally a clutch, It's down to Oil. How full is your oil, Have you changed it recently? If not Service it, Change the oil/Filters/Coolant. Gear box fluid could also be a cause of burning smells. Does it smell like plastic of machinery?
I

my car was serviced in May, it smells more like charcoal x it's a 2000 too
Original post by mcgreevy1993
drive a Nissan micra 2000, lent it to my brother and came back with a burning smell creeping through the vents in intervals of driving.

When you drive, do you rest your left foot on the clutch pedal? If so, don't. Riding the clutch can cause it to slip and after a while will burn out the clutch completely.
Original post by Billy_edmonds

I

Thanks for all the replies.
My car was only serviced in May, so not sure if i should look at putting it in again.
Have recently refilled the oil on the car, after reading it may be the oil as it was at the minnimum when i checked it, and have done around 500 miles since and burning smell has seemed to have vanished.

Not sure if these are linked if or its just down to luck, how been more viliglant with my clutch riding too since the garage raised concerns about that so, it could be either i guess!

Thanks for all the help x
I’ve got exactly the same issue - lent my micra K11 to a mate and now a smokey burning smell when it’s standing still idling. Engine temp gearbox brakes all normal. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? Ps not a Student!
Reply 8
I've heard the Supercharger gives off a burning smell between 3000-4000rpm
Reply 9
Original post by mcgreevy1993

so I took it to the garage, who said the car is working to the best standards for its age, and they can't see any issues. it was in the garage all day having tests. the only thing they can come up with is its the clutch. but the clutch isn't worn yet or damaged according to them.

so I take it home, and drive it. and yet again the burning smell returns. the tires are fine, the car is fine.
as anyone experienced this with their cars?

Is it burning oil? - My car has a burn problem and I go through about a tank every 400 miles, the person behind can smell and see it coming out the exhaust

Could also be a stuck brake

Maybe clutch too, if you rest your foot on it (I'm guilty of this)

Just realised that all of this has already been said

Quick Reply

Latest