The Student Room Group

english literature HELP and STUDY tips

can anyone help me with this one, im studying English literature and am currently learning the tempest and great Gatsby. I have just started my first year of a- level and am finding literature really hard and I am not understanding aswell as it is a big step from gcses. is there any ways or any books , videos or study tips that can make things easier to understand and anything really to help me with this course to achieve the best grade possible.
Hey! Literature is difficult at first but once you get into it, it gets a bit easier. For now, you need to read the books. Look through the syllabus, look at past exam papers so you have an idea of what this course involves. Speak to your teacher if you're really struggling, I'm sure they'll give you some help. After you have a lesson, review it and make notes and go over it everyday and then after 3 days, then a week etc. Resources I used were sparknotes which is so helpful for The Great Gatsby and crash course which is fantastic for Gatsby too. For The Tempest, since it's a play, your teacher will go over it scene by scene. I'm not entirely sure. The thing about Lit is your teacher won't tell you the answers, you have to figure them out yourself. The people who get the highest marks are people who bring in their own ideas. You can always form a study group with the people in your class. It really comes down to what your exam is based on, mine was on Aspects of narratives so all my work revolved around that. When reading a book, look at techniques used like alliteration and metaphors and reasons why. There are a lot of key words to remember so you can make flashcards. Posters are a good way of analysing plays/books. Follow a structure when writing an essay, I used Point, Evidence, and Analysis. Make sure your point is detailed. DO NOT babble. Get straight to the point. Do not be vague. Give evidence. You will get a low band if you do not give evidence. Make sure the evidence chosen is appropriate and backs up your initial opinion. Hope this helped!! If you need anymore help, you can always message me.

Quick Reply

Latest