Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The difference between middle/upper class people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think are the differences between middle/upper class people?

Do you think middle class people have more in common than upper class or working class people?

What do you need to 'have' or 'be' to qualify as upper class?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    Middle class - rich
    Upper class - richer

Sorry about such a detailed response - I simply couldn't miss anything out.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think an example of middle class and upper class 'bonding' is Kate Middleton, who came from a middle class family, and obviously Prince William who was upper class.

Is there more of a gap between the middle and upper class than the working and middle class?

ReputationRep:
    Bloodlines.

ReputationRep:
    I think the difference is that middle class people work and upper class people inherit? Idk there are probably other qualifiers but I think this is the main difference.

Edit: I also think I've read/heard somewhere that you can get into the upper class by earning a buckload of money and living in leisure for the rest of your life, but these people are looked down upon by the traditional upper class who have had property and/or titles handed down through the generations and are called the "nouveau riche." Supposedly this sort of snobbery is especially apparent at places like Eton, where there's almost a sort of caste system with posh English chaps with grand heritages at the top and students who have foreign billionaire businessmen for parents at the bottom. Except for those who have come in with a scholarship - those would be seen as the lowest of the low, I'd imagine.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jewb)
    Well I think an example of middle class and upper class 'bonding' is Kate Middleton, who came from a middle class family, and obviously Prince William who was upper class.

Is there more of a gap between the middle and upper class than the working and middle class?
    I think royalty has a class of its own, the upper class are million and billionaires

ReputationRep:
    Upper class = rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Middle class = wannabes.

ReputationRep:
    money

ReputationRep:
    Upper class - Early 20s sold app for millions

Middle class - Doctor/Lawyer on 40-60k per annual

Go figure.

Welcome to 2015. We have been waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)

Go figure.

So are you essentially saying the difference is intelligence?

In order to sell an app for millions, you must first have the intelligence to think of it, and then you must need the connections to market it?

So I guess being upper class is also about being part of an elite social group - knowing important people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jewb)

In order to sell an app for millions, you must first have the intelligence to think of it, and then you must need the connections to market it?

So I guess being upper class is also about being part of an elite social group - knowing important people?
    I'm saying the days of classes are over. Long over. It was made up due to the traditional form of production which has long eroded. You could argue now we only have two classes.

Rich and poor.

ReputationRep:
    Disagree with previous posters. Upper class are the gentry, they aren't necessarily rich. In the UK money doesn't equal class. The Beckham's have lots of money, but certainly aren't upper class.

Middle class people are proper stingy. Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)

Go figure.

Doctor/Lawyer? Bloody hell... the middle class have got richer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jewb)
    If you could successfully manage to say that Prince Phillip is smarter than any doctors you know then sure, it's intelligence. Good luck managing to make that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    If you could successfully manage to say that Prince Phillip is smarter than any doctors you know then sure, it's intelligence. Good luck managing to make that point.
    I wasn't stating that point myself, I was asking the OP to clarify what he meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Doctor/Lawyer? Bloody hell... the middle class have got richer!
    All about net worth buddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jewb)
    I wasn't stating that point myself, I was asking the OP to clarify what he meant.
    Fair enuff. Class is an odd concept to me tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_jg)
    Disagree with previous posters. Upper class are the gentry, they aren't necessarily rich. In the UK money doesn't equal class. The Beckham's have lots of money, but certainly aren't upper class.
    What about celebrities?

Or their children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jewb)
    What about celebrities?

Or their children?
    As I stated, just because they have money and fame it doesn't make them upper class. The class system in the UK has been around for so long that it is firmly entrenched in society.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.