Turn on thread page Beta

Returning to uni - financial stresses! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Looking for some advice really. Applying to go back to uni in 2016 however I'm really worried about if I can afford it. Applying for Speech and Language Therapy degree, so fees are paid by NHS so that's the big part taken care of. I live in Cambridge but have applied for Leicester and Norwich, either way an hour drive away so a lot of money going on petrol (I guess about £150-200 a month during term time)

I live with my boyfriend and we rent our flat but I will still have to pay my half of the bills and rent (£450 a month all together) I also have outgoings of phone (£40) and I have this loan repayment of £95 a month hanging over me. I'm planning on calling the bank to ask them to hold the loan until I'm in full time work again, not sure how that will go down though....

I have tried to figure out what I can get in terms of student finance, and I think altogether I will get about £9k which includes NHS bursary and maintainence loan.

I do have a full time job AND a part time job, planning on dropping the full time and keeping the part time which should bring in around £300 a month.

Just really worried it's going to be such a struggle. My boyfriend has an income but a lot of outgoings so I don't think he will be able to contrbute. Anyone have similar where they have a lot of financial obligation before starting a degree. Would love to hear how you've coped?

Can anyone offer any advice or ideas?

Thanks for reading,

Hannah

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hannah

I too am having exactly the same concerns. When you've had a full time job for a while you get used to a few luxuries and thinking about sacrificing them can seem daunting. It looks like you should have plenty (12k) to get by on with about 7k outgoings. How much better paid will the job be at the end of it is what I'm trying to focus on!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.