The Student Room Group

How to motivate overweight/obese parents to workout?

Hi,

I wanted to get people insight on how they could motivate their parents to workout. I want them to have a healthy relationship with food, not comfort eat and primarily to live longer. (dad=obese, mum=slightly overweight)

I work out 5x/week in the gym weight training, 2x/week doing cardio and track macros. I can see the effects of their poor diet affecting their lifestyle and it makes me sad to think that if they continue the way they are they might not live to see me graduate from university let alone 10 years. (I'm starting uni in sep 2016)

I've tried signing them up to a gym and telling them to come with me on my cardio/rest days or even just advising them on healthier options I.e fried food -> sweet potato/brown rice/chicken/fish etc but they don't want to give up the food they love, which is killing them essentially.

I know its very hard to motivate someone that doesn't 1) acknowledge the truth. 2) be willing to change. 3) look for long term results.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. :please:
(edited 8 years ago)
Cattle prod.

In all seriousness try to educate them about what they're putting in their bodies and cook them a healthy, decent tasting meal. Some people just aren't that bothered or are too busy to eat well and exercise daily, so don't be too disheartened if they don't change their habits
If you bombard them with info about healthy foods, macros, cardio etc they will not want to do it. Start with small things, like asking them to go for a walk round the park with you every couple of days, nothing that is going to intimidate them and put them off. Calories in vs calories out, teach them about this but don't get too complex. They are probably staying around the same weight or only slightly increasing, so they won't need to reduce calories by much to get below maintenance. Have them eat the same food that they love, just a bit less of it so they are in a calorie deficit but don't feel too restricted. Once the weight starts coming off then use that as motivation for them, start introducing them to healthier foods, other activities and ways of keeping the weight on the decline. Make it enjoyable not a chore. Good luck.
You cannot change someone who doesn't want to change, it's unfortunate but it's the way it is.
And often pushing people who don't want to be pushed just ends up making the problem worse and they push you and what you;re saying away.

All you can do is encourage them without being overbearing and help them out if they ask for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Food is a comfort for them because they lead stressful lives

Also they no longer need to look hot

QED
Take it easy with them at first for sure.

I mean if you're going to the gym 5 times a week...then you are clearly on a different spectrum overall. It's nice to care about them and gently help them to be more healthy but please please please don't try and shove it down their throat.

I have friends who go 5x a week and they seem to think their way is literally the only way. They live sleep eat dream the gym, not all of us are like that. I exercise as it is and even they put me off just the sheer aggressive way they tried to rope me into joining it with them and throwing all sorts of terms and jargon around that I really need not know/have interest in.

Take it easy and be open minded.
Offer to cook for them ~ they won't say no to that! &If you live in nice surroundings, ask them if they want to come for a walk in the country with you, or walk to the local shop instead of driving

Little changes make more difference, they will be more receptive if you take it slowly and help them, not shove it down their throats
Reply 8
A good friend of mine started cooking for her parents and prepared every meal. Of course it's really exhausting, but it worked out - pretty well actually.
And don't try to sign them up to a gym! It won't work! They need to want that by their own. Try to do some easy exercises with them like Walking or bicycling.
Sometimes you need to handle your parents like children haha but it worked (at least for my friend)
Reply 9
I comment what your doing very brave, however i dont think that getting them to go gym will help them to lose weight but rather change what their eating, as diet is the main reason why the weight gain happens.
The custard cream treadmill

patent pending
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Hi,

I wanted to get people insight on how they could motivate their parents to workout. I want them to have a healthy relationship with food, not comfort eat and primarily to live longer. (dad=obese, mum=slightly overweight)

I work out 5x/week in the gym weight training, 2x/week doing cardio and track macros. I can see the effects of their poor diet affecting their lifestyle and it makes me sad to think that if they continue the way they are they might not live to see me graduate from university let alone 10 years. (I'm starting uni in sep 2016)

I've tried signing them up to a gym and telling them to come with me on my cardio/rest days or even just advising them on healthier options I.e fried food -> sweet potato/brown rice/chicken/fish etc but they don't want to give up the food they love, which is killing them essentially.

I know its very hard to motivate someone that doesn't 1) acknowledge the truth. 2) be willing to change. 3) look for long term results.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. :please:

this is a job for....

http://www.mrmotivator.com
Have you asked them if they want to, or are ready to change their lifestyle?

As much as you may want to, you cannot force a change on to somebody if they do not want to. Motivation is an inherently personal thing and very complex. If you ask them how ready they are to change out of 10 and the answer is less than 8 then it's not going to be very successful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by SophieSmall
You cannot change someone who doesn't want to change, it's unfortunate but it's the way it is.
And often pushing people who don't want to be pushed just ends up making the problem worse and they push you and what you;re saying away.

All you can do is encourage them without being overbearing and help them out if they ask for it.

If you're an alcoholic and killing yourself with it, you have to change otherwise you die off your habits. It's the same with obesity, it kills. It is a constant assault on the body. On top of being just a fat sack that looks ugly obesity has a list of other problems. Heart problems, breathing problems, diabetes, joint issues, back issues, the list goes on and on.

The poster who posted this question definitely needs to make sure his parents understand the severity of the situation that they're in. He can influence them. Combating obesity isn't hard. Just do it a step at the time. Instead of throwing out 1000 kcal at once its easier to just start out with a little less and gradually lower it until they lose some weight to a healthy level. Even a slightly fat level would be a lot better.
Original post by Metakl
If you're an alcoholic and killing yourself with it, you have to change otherwise you die off your habits. It's the same with obesity, it kills. It is a constant assault on the body. On top of being just a fat sack that looks ugly obesity has a list of other problems. Heart problems, breathing problems, diabetes, joint issues, back issues, the list goes on and on.

The poster who posted this question definitely needs to make sure his parents understand the severity of the situation that they're in. He can influence them. Combating obesity isn't hard. Just do it a step at the time. Instead of throwing out 1000 kcal at once its easier to just start out with a little less and gradually lower it until they lose some weight to a healthy level. Even a slightly fat level would be a lot better.

Don't know why you quoted me, I'm aware of all of that.

Quick Reply

Latest