Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Assessment for social work (please help) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, basically all the universities i'm applying for social work (BA) has instuational tests, and I have no clue what the test will involve or how I can prepare for the test, if someone could help me out that would be great on what i'll need or how I can prepare for it...
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Where have you applied? The uni's I went too, all of them involved a written test exercise, and two had a group exercise we were scored on. The written exercises are usually a case study and you write what you think about it or what you would do. Group ones can be different; at one uni we were given a case study with four points that we had to cover as a group, whilst at another we had to build a bridge out of paper and sellotape and balance a toy car on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmEmTheFairy)
    Where have you applied? The uni's I went too, all of them involved a written test exercise, and two had a group exercise we were scored on. The written exercises are usually a case study and you write what you think about it or what you would do. Group ones can be different; at one uni we were given a case study with four points that we had to cover as a group, whilst at another we had to build a bridge out of paper and sellotape and balance a toy car on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm applying at these following universities:
    °University of Nottingham
    °Nottingham Trent university
    °Oxford Brookes
    °Birmingham university
    °Coventry university
    So basically most of the written tests are on case studies? Is it really hard or is it pretty straightforward?
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Last year each uni was slightly different i was asked for a additional extended personal statement with more explanation of social work practice, skills and values. Also there were a few case study based round challenges of social work and your existing skills. My suggestion would be to research the values (sssc, basw) also to start reading a newspaper like the Guardian's health and social care section, also there a many books based on the introduction to social work which will be good and also (you'll have to read in your first year anyways -- Social work: introducing professional practice - Patricia Higham 2006).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerrylu21)
    Last year each uni was slightly different i was asked for a additional extended personal statement with more explanation of social work practice, skills and values. Also there were a few case study based round challenges of social work and your existing skills. My suggestion would be to research the values (sssc, basw) also to start reading a newspaper like the Guardian's health and social care section, also there a many books based on the introduction to social work which will be good and also (you'll have to read in your first year anyways -- Social work: introducing professional practice - Patricia Higham 2006).
    thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I am applying to
    Canterbury
    Kent
    Greenwich
    Conventry
    Sussex
    Still working on my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heydollitsrach)
    I'm applying at these following universities:
    °University of Nottingham
    °Nottingham Trent university
    °Oxford Brookes
    °Birmingham university
    °Coventry university
    So basically most of the written tests are on case studies? Is it really hard or is it pretty straightforward?
    Thank you so much
    I have also applied for nottingham trent university. I wondered if you have already had your interview and if you have how it went/what it included as im really nervous about it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.