Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to go about moving out watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 my life is just going downhill I just want to run away from everything
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Get a job, rent a room and then move out.

ReputationRep:
    are you at uni? Why didn't you get student accomidation instead of living at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LD1000)
    What is your financial situation like? Are you working or a student?

ReputationRep:
    Im still in college

ReputationRep:
    Still a student I need a job asap

ReputationRep:
    Mum would never make me rent a room I can't even look after myself can't cook can't iron etc

ReputationRep:
    Mum would never make me rent a room I can't even look after myself can't cook can't iron etc
    If you're looking ahead for moving out in a few years I reccommend getting a part time job and saving up some money. Look into how much rent costs in your area (or wherever you want to move) along with utility costs (gas, electric and water) and general bills such as internet and council tax. On top of that add food and transport and from that generate a general budget of how much living independantly will cost. This will give you a good idea of what moving out will be like. Plus learning to budget is better learnt sooner rather than later. You will have to wait til after college to move out because you simply won't be able to support yourself with a part time job.

If you are planning to go to university then you can trial moving out then, as you will have some financial stabilty from student loans/ grants + any savings you build up working part time.

If you don't plan to go to university then try to get a full time job when you finish college so you can afford to move out.

It's important that you are at least somewhat financially secure when you move out. And aim to have at least 3 months expenses (rent, bills, food etc) saved up in case of emergencies or loss of income.

As for not being able to cook and iron. Thats a simple fix, dont make excuses and take responsibilty and stop relying on your parents for everything, there is no excuse at your age. Start doing those things now and learn how to be independant.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks 4 the tips can I go uni with no qualifications I ain't got any does the uni lend people with bad credit

ReputationRep:
    Thanks 4 the tips can I go uni with no qualifications I ain't got any does the uni lend people with bad credit
    Only in very rare circumstances such as with mature students who have years in the industry related to the course do universities allow in students without the norm qualifications. And even then they are often still asked to complete English and maths competency tests before they're granted a place.

The university doesn't lend you money, the company Student Finance does and they don't in any way take into consideration your credit history. The only thing they take into account is your parents income to determine how much money you are entitled to, or in cases of you having financially supported yourself for 3 or more years (they'll ask for evidence) or are over the age of 25 they only take your income into account and in most cases you'd for mature/independent get full grant and loan.

If you want to go to university you'll need to take college seriously and apply yourself. But don't go just for the sake of it or just to move out, it'll be a waste of time and you'll be wasting student finance entitlement (you're only entitled to support on one course) and if you fail and then a few years down the line decide you want to take education seriously, you won't get funded.

Honestly I think you should be looking into this yourself, just from your short answers it seems very clear to me you have quite a blase attitude about the whole thing. Start taking responsibility for each and every aspect of your life, or you'll be stuck in this rut doing nothing for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    What about a open uni I heard they accept anyone, both of my parents are not working there on benefits would I get even more money from student finance and the college that I'm at is way too far from me and it's really really boring I don't even like the course
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You'd only get a tuition fee loan with open uni I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Running away never solved anything. Make a plan and act on it. Move forward and be resilient to the sh1t life throws at everyone from time to time.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What about a open uni I heard they accept anyone, both of my parents are not working there on benefits would I get even more money from student finance and the college that I'm at is way too far from me and it's really really boring I don't even like the course
    No they don't just accept anyone, and as OU student you wouldn't get any money towards living expenses because with the OU you don't really need them in the same as as brick university student.

With all due respect all the advice you need has been given to you and you still don't seem to be listening or taking it seriously. Uni isn't a ticket out of your household. If you want to move out start taking responsibility and stop "bunking college lol". You're 19, not a child so stop acting like one.

ReputationRep:
    Cooking and ironing are dead easy.

Don't sweat about things that superficial.
    Try them out and you'll never worry about them again.

ReputationRep:
    That's stress what's OU and I can't be asked with college most of the time it's so dead

ReputationRep:
    Trust I can cook simple food like microwave food n that n yeah ironing looks easy
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you're serious about moving about, you need to do a lot of research into this.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect OP, google it. You're honestly taking the mick. Enjoy being stuck at home for the next however many years because you're too lazy to actually do anything worth while.

ReputationRep:
    What do I need 2 Google

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.